Maryland vs. Osler Board Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stlo

Rad Onc Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on the more useful of these two courses?

I come from a program that has very strong physics review, but rather poor (ie non-existent) Rad Bio review with professors, so our program will pay for us to attend one of these review courses. I've heard mixed opinions about which one was more useful from past residents, so I was just wondering whether anyone here had any opinions. I will go for the physics review, of course, but I'm really interested in boosting my rad bio skillz, as that's where I'm feeling less comfortable.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely Maryland when it comes to radbio.

Having taking my radbio boards this past year, the Maryland course was very useful for that. The physics review wasn't bad either, but the radbio alone was definitely worth it.

My co-resident and I paid for the course (1 of us did) just to get the materials. We didn't attend. I looked at about 5% of the material and seemed okay.

Seriously, after reading the Hall book, paying attention to about 30% of our lectures (we had the class 3 times!), and doing those ASTRO questions, I just don't see any point of sitting for those classes. The pass rates hover around 95%. There are just so many resources (Hall, Miller Notes, institutional recalls, ASTRO questions) - you will be fine. It's not a particularly well written test, as I mentioned in a prior post. About 3/4 of the questions are just straight fact questions you would know by doing the above, and the last 1/4 are ridiculous and "out there" questions that have no meaning to practice.

I'm no all-star, but it wasn't that hard to prepare for and pass biology. If you have the money and the free time, maybe a few days of passive learning could be helpful.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
Any way to get these Miller notes without paying for a course? Are they the same thing as the Osler course materials?

Thanks.

Is one course better than the other if you mainly need physics prep?

Thanks..

Just wondering if anyone has an more recent thoughts about which course is better to attend. I am particularly interested in which physics course is better. Thanks.

FWIW I attended Maryland and thought the physics portion was pretty low-yield. It was pretty basic and very passive learning with almost no practice questions or critical thinking involved.

Radbio, conversely was pretty good.

I didn't go to any specific courses for the physics. We have a canadian radiobiology review course that the Seattle residents attend as well. I think most people would be fine just by reading Hall, and doing the ASTRO study guide. For the physics, I found the RAPHEX exams to be a little bit easier than the exam itself, but a good review of everything with explanations.

Does anyone have any updated input? Which has better materials between the two for rad bio these days?