Maryland vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corndog123

Reaction score
Really having trouble deciding between these two!! Both great opportunites but not sure what is the right pick.

P.S. I am from Richmond but I currently live in Baltimore (for my gap year), and I kept my residency as Virginia so I am currently out of state for Maryland. Maryland claims that you can get in-state tuition after your first year and I am banking on that if I do go there bc OOS for four years would be ridiculous. I don't think I should have any problem getting it bc I have already been here a year.

Maryland (OOS-total cost of tuition is ~180K if I get in-state tuition for M2-4, if not then it is 267K)

Pros:
- Currently live here and am involved with volunteering, a church, and friends that I want to stay close to
- Volunteered at the hospital and got to know/ really liked all of the faculty I met
- Hospital is a referral center from large area with alot of people in need - will get good clinical exposure to just about everything
- Seems to have a good rep for quality clinical training
- Preclinical Class schedule allows for a lot of free time (done at 12 every day, lectures recorded, test only every 3 weeks, one class at a time)
- Went to second look day and loved it - met lots of people I see myself being friends with
- Higher rank (more prestigious?)

Cons:
- more expensive
- A-F grading system
- 2 years preclinical
- New curriculum coming out in 2020 looks more appealing but my class misses that
- Baltimore isn't bad but its not my favorite city

VCU (IS - total cost of tuition is 140K)

Pros:
- 1.5 years preclinical
- more modernized curriculum
- Pass / Fail grading system
- Like Richmond better as a city
- facilities are brand new and very nice
- Went to class with a student and enjoyed the team-based learning approach of the class
- Also has a large and diverse population that is in need of care (not as big as MD but doesn't compete with Hopkins)
- My family would be very close by (parents live ~30 mins away)

Cons:
- Have lived my whole life in the suburbs around Richmond and went to college there (U of R) - feel like I want to branch out, most close friends have moved away
- preclinical class schedule is less flexible (sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes mandatory/graded)
- Don't feel like I know this school as well bc they didn't have a second look day (didn't meet anyone who would be my classmates)

I think I hit all my main points. let me know what you think please!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

VCU is p/F (which is a MAJOR plus point over Maryland), has new facilities, you like the city better, and you have a support system nearby. Saving 40K is no small deal either. If you want to branch out, you can always do away rotations in the clinical years? VCU seems like the much better option here :) Good luck!