1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Kdiddy, May 8, 2007.

1. Kdiddy

Kdiddy Kobe-Jack 24
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does Maryland weigh the PAT highly when they consider out of state students? I have a 20AA and GPA around 3.9. I am above average everywhere else except the pat and math (16 each). Is it worth applying from New Orleans, LA?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I called Maryland before and they told me they prefer students with 18 across the board. 20 AA sounds good, but they want you to have at least a 18 on all sections. LL, UoP, Harvard are the other three schools that told me they want 18 across the board. I hope this helps! :)

4. apaul

apaul Some Dude
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i agree, the 16's are pretty shady and will hurt you, I have a good friend that rocked the science sections but got a similar QR score and got 1 interview and no acceptances so take that how you want. I would recommend retaking the dat but thats my opinion

5. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    If you're really interested in maryland, then apply. Maryland does get a large volume of applicants, and you may be screened out b/c of those low PAT and QR scores. who knows.... you're better off asking the school.

Just a little FYI... I got an interview at maryland with a 17 PAT.

good luck, jb!:)

6. Bocci Balls

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Those scores are a bit low. But I did get waitlisted at Maryland with a 17 in QR.

Has anyone heard from maryland since the begining of this month?

7. burton117

burton117 The Big Kahuna
    10+ Year Member

Nothing here...

8. dentist-to-be

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It is possible to get in. I had a 23 AA but low 17 on PAT :( . I got accepted at Maryland on the round of people that got invited and did not undergo a formal interview. My GPA could have helped greatly but I wouldn't call it impossible to get in with your stats. Unfortunately, I had to give my spot there away even though I liked it a lot.

9. dentistry2011

dentistry2011 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

i also had a 16 PAT score 20 AA and I was accepted. so honestly, dont give up hope, just apply!

10. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    i talked to dr. meehan and she said there hasn't been very much movement in the waitlist yet.

jb!:)