Nov 27, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've been finding that my asthma is getting really exacerbated by the formalin fumes, as after several hours in the lab I notice I'm starting to wheeze. I've also been losing my voice quite regularly. Has anyone tried using a mask for opening specimens or while grossing? Is this effective?

mikesheree

Lifetime Donor
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2010
NOT behind a scope.
Status
Attending Physician
I've been finding that my asthma is getting really exacerbated by the formalin fumes, as after several hours in the lab I notice I'm starting to wheeze. I've also been losing my voice quite regularly. Has anyone tried using a mask for opening specimens or while grossing? Is this effective?
What kind of "mask" do you mean; a respirator (of varying efficiencies) or an "operating-room type" particulate mask?

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Get one of those breaking bad masks when they cook meth.

IgnisDU

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Before purchasing a mask I would recommend investigating whether or not the fume hood is adequately functioning and set up. I've also noticed that sometimes paper towels that are soaked in formalin will be thrown out, so the formalin vapors escape into the room.