Master Cardiology vs Cardiology III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stryke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked through a bunch of old threads and aksed a couple of people,
and have basically narrowed down my choice between the master cardiology vs cardiology III.

Its seems that the one advantage of the cardiology III is the separate diaphragm and bell.
On the other hand, the Littman website rates the master cardiology acoustics better than the cardiology III (10 vs 9)

Having a tough time deciding between the two...anybody have any recommendations for a resident planning on going into cardiology.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

and have basically narrowed down my choice between the master cardiology vs cardiology III.

Its seems that the one advantage of the cardiology III is the separate diaphragm and bell.
On the other hand, the Littman website rates the master cardiology acoustics better than the cardiology III (10 vs 9)

Having a tough time deciding between the two...anybody have any recommendations for a resident planning on going into cardiology.

thanks

I would guess that you should have a good idea by the time you match into a Cards fellowship. Seriously, they both can be gotten for <$150 each. So even if you get one and decide on the other you should be able to afford it even on a resident's budget.

I think the good thing about the Cardiology III is that it has the smaller side to be used on kids/small frame people. Where the Master is really useful to "Ortho Spot" small chests.

(BTW, they both have diaprhagm and bell attributes to them. Check out the Littman site a bit more and you'll see that it comes from the pressure used on the the stethoscope)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have used both. If you are well trained in using diaphragm in place of bell (I mean light auscultation), Master is better. If you find it difficult to identify low pitch, go for III. Both dont make much of a difference other than with S3/4 and MDM`s.

thanks

Like above, I have used both too. I prefer the master. Now if I were you, I would fore go both and buy the littman 3000. That is what I use now and it takes some getting used to, however, it is a huge advantage and is actually lighter than both stethoscopes.

After 5 years of using the Master, I finally started using the 3000 after getting one for XMas gift. I would never go back.

I have the master and love it. You can use the bell by applying no to little pressure against the skin, and the diaphragm by applying more pressure against the skin. highly recommend it!