Master Program and Dental school application timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tos2991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'’m a little confused. I have recently graduated. My GPA at my college was low.
I am now looking into one year masters programs. But then it hit me, if I start a masters program how will that help me if I want to apply to dental schools this coming year? By the time I start my master’s program early submission of applications are due.

I feel like I am missing something. Can someone explain to me what students do when they want to use the new masters GPA to help their application to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

your confusion is correct. it wont help you... if you're considering a 1 year master's program, i would wait till after you complete the program. this will allow you to show your overall performance when taking mass load of science courses. if you apply to dental school while enrolled in the program, the schools will see that you are enrolled but will have no clue what your grades are until the "academic update" period which will be late in the cycle anyways. most schools want to see how well you do for the 2 semesters.... i've known quite a few people that have applied to dental schools while they are still completing their 1yr masters, some have heard absolutely nothing, other had a couple interviews but no good news.

Reactions: 1 user