Master the Boards Step 2 or Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I know that there was a thread on this a while back, however, I know that the editions of both books have been updated to account for information that had been missing previously.

I'm currently a third year and I have a few people in my class tell me that MTB step 3 book is better for the management type of questions you will get in Shelf exams?

I feel that is where I fall short when it comes to these tests. I have done ok on shelf exams (NBME and NBOME). However, I was wondering if you had to choose one out of the 2, is the MTB for step 3 better?

Thanks a bunch for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

What people usually say here is that MTB2 is better for IM and MTB3 is better for other subjects... That's about all the info I can read you since I will begin studying MTB2 soon.

Ehhh I did just MTB 2 + secrets + uworld (extensive note taking). And did fine (>250).

I don't think you have to buy both of the MTB books. Honestly I think most of the info is going to come from uworld explanations....it's just nice to have some book to give you an initial framework of the material.

If I were to do it again I'd just do MTB 2 and REALLY focus on every word in uworld explanations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ehhh I did just MTB 2 + secrets + uworld (extensive note taking). And did fine (>250).

I don't think you have to buy both of the MTB books. Honestly I think most of the info is going to come from uworld explanations....it just nice to have some book to give you an initial framework of the material.

If I were to do it again I'd just do MTB 2 and REALLY focus on every word in uworld explanations.

I agree 270+ was my score. I bought both took a look at MTB3 and realized not a whole lot was different. I guess I have that book now when I get ready in a year for step 3.

Bump. I am curious to know this myself. Many of the threads on Step 3 books/ resources seem to be outdated and have few posts.

I am planning on just getting one single Step 3 book and supplementing with SUTM. Also, what is the consensus on question banks?

I am an going to be taking the exam sometime in the next 12 months. My background knowledge from MS3-MS4 years and performance on the NBME shelf exams/ Step 2CK was not very good.

Any other suggestions on resources would be appreciated. Thanks!