Master the Boards step 2 vs. MTB step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waysensei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year student and I bought Conrad Fischer's Master the Boards step 3 as a study guide for step 2. Now, I'm told that there is a Master the Boards for step 2 out by the same author.

Has anyone read both of these and if so, what does the step 2 book provide that the step 3 book does not?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 3rd year student and I bought Conrad Fischer's Master the Boards step 3 as a study guide for step 2. Now, I'm told that there is a Master the Boards for step 2 out by the same author.

Has anyone read both of these and if so, what does the step 2 book provide that the step 3 book does not?

The Step 2 version is directed at step 2. It focuses much more on systematically answering "what is the most likely diagnosis" followed by an explanation. IMO, it's better than the Step 3 book (this is also newer and a little more up to date). You don't have to read all the "order this next" "fast forward a couple of hours" - which to me were always distracting, because that wasn't the exam I was trying to study for

The Step 2 version is directed at step 2. It focuses much more on systematically answering "what is the most likely diagnosis" followed by an explanation. IMO, it's better than the Step 3 book (this is also newer and a little more up to date). You don't have to read all the "order this next" "fast forward a couple of hours" - which to me were always distracting, because that wasn't the exam I was trying to study for

I just picked up MTB for step 2 today and I gotta say, I am really liking the format and how geared it is for step 2 style questions as medlover previously mentioned. it's a relatively cheap review book if you order it online.... don't go to a store to buy it!! I spent 45 + tax at the store and went to amazon and realized that it was 20 bucks cheaper there. amateur move.

i had both but preferred MTB 3 because it focuses on management stuff, which is what i need more work on; i feel like i can diagnose but i just dont know how to manage. i plan on using MTB3 in conjunction with Step up to Step 2 +/- Step up to Medicine, USMLEWorld, USMLERx.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion MTB for step 3 has no value for STEP 3, but has tremendous value for step 2. now, MTB for step 2 is BETTER than MTB3 for Medicine, but other chapters are better written in MTB 3 (OBGYN for instance).

My recommendation: BOTH MTB 2 & 3 are OF GREAT importance to step 2 CK, but for step 3, there is no other study material besides UW.

I just came from B&N after sitting with both books for 2 hours, trying to decide which I'd prefer for CK. I still have no idea. Anyone with experience with both care to chime in?

I have both, and I think the step 2 book is definitely better for the Step 2 because it goes into a bit more detail with some diseases and pathophysiology, and it doesn't have CCS stuff..but its still not nearly enough to be used alone imo. You may need another book like FA or step up to fill in some holes.

I'm hoping that Step up step 2 CK + MTB2 + UW + Kaplan Qbank = 99. :)

How well did MTB CK correlate with UW's explanations? I thought I saw another post elsewhere here talking about how MTB was "better" for qbank from kaplan vs UW :confused:

@psychobob - almost a similar plan and of course... a similar wish too :)

I was debating between MTB CK or Secrets (new edition) as an additonal resource to :

*Step up to Step 2 CK
* spring 2011 session online DIT review course
* presently doing : UW x2 + 1 or 2 nbme's (for later).
* taking this test in the early summer

I was hoping there wasn't so much contradictory info between those and then adding MTB CK; which I'm not even sure is* necessary.

My main reading is pretty much going through UW explanations and taking notes.

After my quick read-through at Barnes & Noble, I thought the MTBs (both) correlated pretty well with UWorld questions. I could be wrong since I gave it a very superficial look-over, but looked that way for the few diseases I looked at.

I ended up picking the MTB CK book. Word of advice: get it from Amazon, it's about half the retail price which is what they are selling it for at brick + mortar bookshops ($25 compared to $46).

How well did MTB CK correlate with UW's explanations? I thought I saw another post elsewhere here talking about how MTB was "better" for qbank from kaplan vs UW :confused: