Masters Biomedical Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a masters degree in Biomedical Sciences enhance my application? I'm 30 years old and I have a non-science degree with a GPA of approx. 3.4, a few upper division science courses, and no research experience. I do have a healthcare/service background as a FF/EMT. Some volunteering and leadership experiences but nothing special. Taking MCAT in July.

I'm fine with osteopathic schools but I really want to have the best shot at my ultra competitive state school and I think the extra preparation will benefit me in the long run. How do medical schools evaluate post-graduate work?

Also, I'm considering Regis in Denver and Kansas City's one year program. Does anyone know anything about those programs?

Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the program.

An MSBS that is hosted at a medical school is called an SMP. Special Masters Program. The "special" means that you're in med school classes with med school students. The point is to audition for med school at a med school. Every other single last thing about an SMP is secondary. The "masters" isn't going to help you get a plan B job. The "program" may or may not specifically assist you in actually applying to or getting into the host med school or other med schools. There are about 15 of these programs at MD schools, and a similar number at DO schools. Generally I would not advise doing work at a DO school with the expectation it'll get you into an MD school. Dunno about the reverse.

Regis is not at a med school.

If KC is KCUMB, that's a med school.

But the part about being in med school classes with med students is a very important piece. Your home state med school isn't going to give a crap about an MSBS that isn't hosted at a med school, because it's not their job to go find out how rigorous that work is. If being in Colorado is your #1 priority, then get the Colorado MD admissions office to recommend a program for additional academics for you. They might be cool with one of the programs in Boulder, but I haven't been paying attention to that for a while.

There are roughly nine million universities that offer "terminal masters degrees" such as an MSBS. Roughly 8 million of them say "enhance your academic credentials for health professions schools". Roughly 7.9 million of them conveniently don't provide any info about their success or speed in getting graduates into MD/DO schools so they don't actually have any business saying anything about their enhancement of your credentials.

You always have the option to pursue real, rigorous graduate work, such as a 2 year masters in a bioscience with at least a library thesis.

See the postbac forum down under interdisciplinary for more info on SMPs, with commentary from current and former students. Also see the reapplicant forum for mistakes to avoid.

And 3.4 is only about 1 SD below matriculant average, so you're not in bad shape. The MCAT will make you or break you, realistically.

Best of luck to you.