Master's Certificate in Healthcare Management Worth Getting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R Sterling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fresh out of residency (FM) and I took a job with a hospital owned practice in a major city in the South. The hospital system offers a year long program in conjunction with an outside firm for physician executive leadership development. I applied and was selected to participate in the program. The program consist of 2 parts, the first part is essentially learning about yourself and leadership style etc and the second half is classroom work and a project where you work with administration on a current issue that the hospital is facing. It is also a way for the hospital to find physicians who can play a role in their administration team.

I applied for this as I knew I wanted to be involved in the business end of medicine and not in the clinical side. I am also looking into further developing my skill and education and I have been looking into getting a master's degree vs a master's certificate in healthcare leadership. I would prefer a certificate because of the lower cost and less time involved in getting it.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these certificates, or how are they viewed in the business world? Specifically in the healthcare realm?

One of my concern about trying to advance is the fact that I am fresh out of residency and I recently found out that I am the youngest doctor on staff. Practically a kid. Would my age make a difference in how I am viewed?

Any other suggestions on what I can do or how can I advance my career?

Members don't see this ad.

transitioning from clinical medicine to the business end can be tough, especially if you're a young attending. many docs make the transition after many years of practice, leadership roles, etc.

sounds like this may help you down that path. I doubt the certificate in itself has much value in itself, but the experience will be helpful, especially if you want to do an MBA or move on to another healthcare system or the business world.

My impression is there are too many schools (prestigious ones even) whoring out their good name offering these "advanced certificates" and other money-making programs. A master's degree means something (albeit not much even in many cases), but a certificate probably doesn't unless it's specialized and not a light introduction to "healthcare management." Your hospital leadership development program is more meaningful. Experience trumps knowledge. But this is one person's opinion.