Masters degree... A factor in the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tugbug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would having a masters degree help when match time rolls around? I start in the fall and it looks like Im going to be one stats class short of finishing my MS. If it might help I could try to fit the class in this summer... but Id rather not.

Is it even a factor?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually most med schools won't even let you enroll until you complete the degree you are working on. So it probably is a moot point. . . you should just take the class and finish the degree. Otherwise you won't be going to medical school.

I discussed the situation with the schools Ive been accepted to and at least one would allow this. They required a note from my grad advisor approving me not finishing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JBJ
Actually most med schools won't even let you enroll until you complete the degree you are working on. So it probably is a moot point. . . you should just take the class and finish the degree. Otherwise you won't be going to medical school.

I actually wasn't going to finish my masters. So I called all the schools I had interviewed at and asked if this would pose a problem to me matriculating, only one school said that I'd have to finish to be accepted.

Yea, that is just rumor or lipservice by some med schools. I know several individuals who matriculated without finishing an MS. I don't know if they gave the admissions committee the impression they would be done by the time they started, but it didn't seem to hinder them professionally. I'm sure few. if any, schools follow up on it. I know of one person who made a point of coming back to defend her thesis in the MS1, but I don't know if it was just her personal feeling of obligation/closure, or requisite for the Med school. I never asked.

Megalofyia--

By the way--you don't think the 500 years of peace and brotherly love is an achievement far above any other?

Peace,
Roady

As to the original question, a Masters may be helpful in more academic specialties like medicine or maybe surg, but is likely to be a small factor in any case.

Casey, MS4

Originally posted by roady
Megalofyia--

By the way--you don't think the 500 years of peace and brotherly love is an achievement far above any other?

Peace,
Roady

Mostly because that isn't my exact feelings... it's a quote from a movie.

As Casey notes, it will not be a significant factor in residency selection.

However, if you're only ONE course short wouldn't it give you a sense of accomplishment (and some sort of prestige factor for those that like letters behind their name) to finish. You've put in a lot of work not to finish, IMHO.

BTW, moving to General Residency Forum...