Quantcast

masters for ftds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope4

Reaction score
has anyone heard of ftds doing masters program in usa?

What do you mean by ftds?

I apologize for the ignorance but if it is "full time dental student" no, I haven't heard of it...

vdt2009

Reaction score
has anyone heard of ftds doing masters program in usa?

yeap ....we can do masters ...but yeah ...its really tough to get into any clinical branch ...in non clinical we may have more chances ...few of my friends are doin in preventive dentistry ....n there are so many MSD and MS program in boston and some other universities u need to search.

bhavi4all

Reaction score
FTD is commonly used fir Foreign trained Dentists... there was no need to add "S" in the end, but that just makes it plural ... or we may use it for - Freakin' Tired Dentists ;) .. As we have to do dental study again and again ..once in our country , then again USA .. lol..
What do you mean by ftds?

I apologize for the ignorance but if it is "full time dental student" no, I haven't heard of it...

Hope4

Reaction score
FTD is commonly used fir Foreign trained Dentists... there was no need to add "S" in the end, but that just makes it plural ... or we may use it for - Freakin' Tired Dentists ;) .. As we have to do dental study again and again ..once in our country , then again USA .. lol..
LOL

Understood!

Yeap, I've heard of a lot of people FTD getting their masters, but just as a reminder: you won't be able to pratice, just to teach after getting the masters. Weird, but that's the way it is...

toothfairyqueen

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Depends on the state you live in. Chk out your states' requirements for general dental licensure for foreign graduates, eg one can practice in states like Texas, Tennessee after doing masters as well clearing boards 1 and 2 + regional licensing exam (whose permission is given by the state board).

Hope4

Reaction score
Depends on the state you live in. Chk out your states' requirements for general dental licensure for foreign graduates, eg one can practice in states like Texas, Tennessee after doing masters as well clearing boards 1 and 2 + regional licensing exam (whose permission is given by the state board).

Interesting I didn't know that, do you mind sharing where did you take this info from? I wanted to look a bit into it. I did a lot of searching, once I thought "I'd rather go back to a couple years in Orthodontics, than in GD and not having the title after I finish", but I really didn't find anything on it.

A couple months ago, after looking on ADA's website I found that there are two states if I'm not mistaken that you can get a DDS without having to go back to school. From those, the only one that I can remember by heart the general requirements is Minnesota, the other one would be Tennesse (but I don't remember a thing about it...).

In Minnesota you'd have to have a certified DDS (that would need to meet some specific requirements) 'responsible' for you for the first 3 years of you practicing under his/her suppervision. I'll try to get the website's link to add here too.

But, back to the first question of the thread, some schools will give you some preference in the selection process if you have a MS in the US. Once again depends a lot and vary from school to school.

toothfairyqueen

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting I didn't know that, do you mind sharing where did you take this info from? I wanted to look a bit into it. I did a lot of searching, once I thought "I'd rather go back to a couple years in Orthodontics, than in GD and not having the title after I finish", but I really didn't find anything on it.

A couple months ago, after looking on ADA's website I found that there are two states if I'm not mistaken that you can get a DDS without having to go back to school. From those, the only one that I can remember by heart the general requirements is Minnesota, the other one would be Tennesse (but I don't remember a thing about it...).

In Minnesota you'd have to have a certified DDS (that would need to meet some specific requirements) 'responsible' for you for the first 3 years of you practicing under his/her suppervision. I'll try to get the website's link to add here too.

But, back to the first question of the thread, some schools will give you some preference in the selection process if you have a MS in the US. Once again depends a lot and vary from school to school.

http://www.tsbde.state.tx.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=26

den25

Reaction score
i dont mind going into teaching. i know its all there theorectically but does anybody know anyone or heard of anyone getting admission into masters of pedo or ortho programs?

SentiDental

Reaction score
i dont mind going into teaching. i know its all there theorectically but does anybody know anyone or heard of anyone getting admission into masters of pedo or ortho programs?

What I heard is that 'Ortho' is the toughest to get in for regular DDS path dentists...for international I would assume it would be even more tough...

jcdragon13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes i have a friend (FTD) who did master in US. after she got her master degree she got into advanced standing program. so master degree in US does help on your application for advanced standing program.

den25

Reaction score
yes i have a friend (FTD) who did master in US. after she got her master degree she got into advanced standing program. so master degree in US does help on your application for advanced standing program.

hey dragon can u tell me which subject did she do masters in and from where

Molar90

Reaction score
hey Jcdragon..i know a friend who did that too..but that was around 10-12 years back..can we get into Masters first and then the International Dentists Degree Program now??or have the rules changed?

Molar90

Reaction score
Hey Den25..which are the subjects which we could do masters after DDS...what is the option for International Dentists regarding MDS in US??