Masters in Bioethics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shalom12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
d

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Around 3.55 overall GPA. Top 50 Undergrad. Didn't take MCAT yet, but fair game I will do decent. Recently, I became interested in maybe pursuing a Masters in Bioethics taught in a joint program between a law school and a medical school. I am thinking about doing it during my year off.

Thoughts? I would be doing it during my year off most likely, so it is obviously not to boost my GPA. (Also, I just looked into this specific program, and the grades are mainly pass/fail anyways). It would be solely out of interest.

Would this look at all pleasing to medical schools? I know that I will have not started the program by the time I apply, but I figured I can always mention it in my application as well as during my medical school interviews.
Do whatever interests you in a gap year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought any course taken at any institution is factored into your cGPA for med school
No. Master's courses are not part of your undergrad gpa. You'd better get all A's because we expect that (or pretty close to it!) in graduate programs.

No. Master's courses are not part of your undergrad gpa. You'd better get all A's because we expect that (or pretty close to it!) in graduate programs.
So whats the difference between a masters and a postbacc? Don't pple do postbaccs to boost their cGPA? So why are masters any different

Members don't see this ad :)
So whats the difference between a masters and a postbacc? Don't pple do postbaccs to boost their cGPA? So why are masters any different

Master's programs are typically grade inflated. As an anecdote, my friend's sister who barely scratched a 3.4 GPA in undergrad at a not so rigorous program was able to pull a 4.0 in a top 20 master's program.

Post bac grades, though identified as such, are averaged into undergraduate gpa. Master's level courses are not. Grades in Master's courses are generally perceived to be inflated, thus we expect all A's.
@Aerus beat me to it! These old digits can't compete with the whippersnappers!

Ah, ok. So I assume premed students who pursue a Masters its out of pure interest. And a postbacc is to boost the cGPA.

Do you think my GPA needs a boost? I know my cGPA is nothing to write home about.
Depending on your state and MCAT score, a strong showing in upper division sciences might be a better idea.

So I'll add in some upper bio courses, do as best as I can, and also take other courses before I apply. However, if I am still below a 3.6, do I still have a shot at MD? I'd rather not take off even longer just to take some more credits to get it to a 3.6 if it means delaying an entire year.
Of course you have a shot! It will turn on the other aspects of your application and residence as well.

Reactions: 1 user
K, good. I just do not want do a postbacc - I'd rather just apply (whether I've hit a 3.6 or not) even though its a mediocre/borderline GPA, because I don't mind low-tier MD schools and DO schools. I know these kind of GPAs can get in too.
Your call. When you get an MCAT score, make a list and come on over to WAMC.

Odd...AACOMAS puts any post-bac coursework (MS or otherwise) into cGPA, not ugGPA. It will also show up as gGPA for graduate work. And yes, we expect you to ace things as well.

Post bac grades, though identified as such, are averaged into undergraduate gpa. Master's level courses are not. Grades in Master's courses are generally perceived to be inflated, thus we expect all A's.
@Aerus beat me to it! These old digits can't compete with the whippersnappers!

Odd...AACOMAS puts any post-bac coursework (MS or otherwise) into cGPA, not ugGPA. It will also show up as gGPA for graduate work. And yes, we expect you to ace things as well.
Yes, it's averaged into Ugpa to provide Cgpa. In constrast to graduate work that does not get averaged into Ugpa.

Yes, it's averaged into Ugpa to provide Cgpa. In constrast to graduate work that does not get averaged into Ugpa.
So to boost GPA, postbacc is the option - not a Masters.

So to boost GPA, postbacc is the option - not a Masters.
Yes. Post bac grades appear on a separate line, but are averaged into the Ugpa. Master's grades appear separately but are not included (and are considered in a different light).

is there a difference in cGPA between extending another year of undergrad versus doing an official postbacc?

Bioethics is probably one of the most boring subjects pertaining to medicine. You could literally learn it all in a week on your own. I've taken a course on it, and I did not enjoy it.

Fortunately others don't feel that way.

If you think you could cover bioethics in a week just because you've taken a course on it, then you probably got a very basic, cursory overview of a very broad and complex topic.

d

Last edited: