Masters Level Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an interview coming up for a masters program in psychology. I was hoping you all could give me some tips on how to prepare..

What kinds of questions should I ask?
What should I take with me?
What should I wear???

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have an interview coming up for a masters program in psychology. I was hoping you all could give me some tips on how to prepare..

What kinds of questions should I ask?
What should I take with me?
What should I wear???

Thanks in advance.

1. None, Graduate students should be seen, not heard.
2. A large knife or other suitable weapon.
3. Usually a dirty t-shirt and a pair of jeans, although I hear leather outfits are all the rage now!

Ok seriously.

1. Ask questions about the things that matter to you. What do you expect to get out of the program and how it will help you achieve your goals. They should be able to answer these questions about how their program will help you. After all you are the consumer here.

a. What research/clinical opportunities are there?
b. How do your students who wish to continue to the Ph.D. level fair?
c. Is there any funding for research or conferences?

2. Bring a notepad and a portfolio with copies of your CV, treat it like a job interview.

3. Dress to be taken seriously, you are INTERVIEWING. Act like it.

Mark

If it interests you, ask about teaching opportunities within the department. This was a huge deal to me and I naively assumed all TA's got to teach. I lucked up and ended up w/a professor who let me go at it... but the rest of my cohort was not so lucky, and, in fact, only one other grad student ever got to teach and that was her last semester in the program.

Agreed w/everything else said above... good luck!