Masters or just apply? need SERIOUS replies!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjkimjane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time posting here after getting great amount of help and insights from all of you. June is coming and I am about to graduate, so I just needed some serious advice on my situation.

I am in my last quarter at UC Davis, and I have a 3.1 GPA overall, 3.0 for science. I was a biomed engi major for the first two years, and now I am a pharmaceutical chemistry major. I took my first DAT last November ( 23AA/22TS/22PAT) and was planning to retake it this summer. I'm a CA resident, but I'd go anywhere for dental school honestly. Working on my personal statement, had 200+ shadowing experience.

My question is, so I know my GPA is not strong at all... and I have seen a lot of posts about SMPs or 1,2 year masters program. I wanted to get more details on this and hear from people who have done this if there is any? Is there any way I could increase my undergrad GPA? What kind of masters program are there? Can you guys recommend me some? I heard about UCR, Western, etc, can someone get me more info about this?

Or should I just apply this cycle..?

I know there is probably a million similar posts, but please any help would be greatly appreciated!! T_T

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

This is my first time posting here after getting great amount of help and insights from all of you. June is coming and I am about to graduate, so I just needed some serious advice on my situation.

I am in my last quarter at UC Davis, and I have a 3.1 GPA overall, 3.0 for science. I was a biomed engi major for the first two years, and now I am a pharmaceutical chemistry major. I took my first DAT last November ( 23AA/22TS/22PAT) and was planning to retake it this summer. I'm a CA resident, but I'd go anywhere for dental school honestly. Working on my personal statement, had 200+ shadowing experience.

My question is, so I know my GPA is not strong at all... and I have seen a lot of posts about SMPs or 1,2 year masters program. I wanted to get more details on this and hear from people who have done this if there is any? Is there any way I could increase my undergrad GPA? What kind of masters program are there? Can you guys recommend me some? I heard about UCR, Western, etc, can someone get me more info about this?

I know there is probably a million similar posts, but please any help would be greatly appreciated!! T_T
I think you have some nice DAT scores I wouldn't retake it, but you can take some upper sciences courses to increase your GPA. I would apply while I take those courses and just send the school an update with your grades, try to ace those classes. That's my opinion, and if you have a great personal statement you will get in somewhere.

Yes, your DAT should be fine. If you want to boost your GPA, you can take additional coursework without having to enroll in a master's program. Note that if you do enroll in a master's program, you will be expected to finish. It will reflect poorly on you if you drop out.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA is too low. You need a post-bac or SMP.

if you take a 1 year "easy" post bacc/masters and get a 4.0, and do additional EC's, you will go from an average candidate to a pretty damn competitive one. You may still very well be able to get in this coming year, but its a little bit risky.

If it's any consolation, I applied this past cycle with a 3.3 oGPA and 3.08 sGPA, 23 AA and 23 TS. I took two science classes through a 4 year university during the fall so I could send schools an academic update in January.
I received two pre December interviews: USC and UCSF, both of which I am currently wait listed at. I received 1 post December interview: NYU, where I have been accepted. Although I ultimately got an acceptance, I think my GPA being so low damaged my chances at more interviews/acceptances. If I could do it over,I think it would be smartest to take an extra year and do whatever I could to raise my GPA, whether it be a formal program or not. My extracurriculars, letter of recs, personal statement and DAT were all very strong, but only so much can make up for a low GPA. I should also mention that I applied to 16 programs, and got formally rejected from 9 (I think it's safe to assume I have a couple of more rejections from schools that just haven't rejected anyone yet). This has been my experience so far, so take it as it is.. I don't necessarily regret applying this cycle because ultimately I got accepted to a program that I feel fits me very well. I think the only thing slightly killing me is that I got wait listed at my top choice so I'm being hard on myself on what I could have done better to have tipped me over the edge to an acceptance, but ce la vie. Do what your gut tells you!

Definitely do a masters program, that could turn you into a meh candidate into a great one.

Tough one. I think a post-bacc to increase your GPA might be appropriate. I know an engineering degree is difficult and it'd be great to do some BCPs to offset that.

I think a lot of people worry about getting behind if they don't get into dental school straight out of undergrad (I was the same). I think it's in your best interest to take 1 year of BCP courses through an informal post bacc, do very well, and then apply. With those DAT scores you'll be a much stronger candidate and the choice of dental schools will more likely be yours.

That being said, I think if you applied this upcoming cycle you'd probably receive a couple of interviews and possibly a couple of acceptances. However, you'll probably be at the mercy of whichever schools want to give you a chance.

I think a post-bacc might be your best choice, rather than a Master's. Your high DAT means that if you can just improve your GPA a little bit, you'd be a solid candidate. However, I would really think hard about retaking the DAT. 23 AA is nothing to laugh at and you'd be taking a risk by retaking it.

Why would you retake the DAT with a 23AA? I had a similar GPA and lower DAT and got 3 acceptances. I'd apply this cycle and apply ASAP (batch 1).

Had the same GPA but strong upward trend since freshman year. Worked out for me

I say apply to dental school and enroll in a masters or postbacc as a solid plan B. If you get into dental school, then great, you saved yourself a year. If not, you will be able to become a very good candidate the second time around. I think you'll get in somewhere though.

Hello,

Don't retake your DAT. I had similar scores and all the admissions I talked to said my scores were great. If I were you, I'd apply this coming cycle for both dental school and a masters. That way, if you don't get accepted, you can jump into a masters program right away without wasting a year.