masters or just more ugrad classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need to finish up some requirements and my science gpa is low, so i'm going to need to take classes after i graduate in may 2012. my mom thinks i should get a masters so at least i "get something" at the end of my work.

what do you think? if you do think a masters is a good idea, can you recommend some non-thesis masters programs in new york?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

check with the schools you are most interested and get some advice from the deans/assistant deans. I started working toward my Master's and was just a few credits shy of Bio MS when I started here at the VCU dental program. I went non-thesis for my MS program- made more sense for me to avoid a huge project but still had the benefit of having some tough coursework going under my belt. PM me if you want more info from me. Good luck and God Bless!

i need to finish up some requirements and my science gpa is low, so i'm going to need to take classes after i graduate in may 2012. my mom thinks i should get a masters so at least i "get something" at the end of my work.

what do you think? if you do think a masters is a good idea, can you recommend some non-thesis masters programs in new york?

thank you!

the ugrad your referring to is called post-bacc. Its nice, it adds up into your undergrad GPA. I would do the post-bacc in a heart beat (instead of masters)

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. If you have a lot of science classes left to take and you don't have that many credits under your belt, then a post bacc would be good to boost your GPA. But if you have a lot of credits and you've taken a lot of undergrad classes, then a master's would be good. Also, I think a huge advantage of Master's is that some schools will only look at your Master's and wipe clean what you did in undergrad, while others will add it in your undergraduate and look at your undergrad + master's cumulative GPA. So it does the same thing as a post bacc but gives you that extra advantage in some schools. Also, if a post bacc is cheaper, I would just do that.

Master Pain is right though, ask the school what they think, because some schools like Master's students while others will prefer you have a strong undergrad GPA.

i don't have lots of sciences left to take, but my sgpa would beg to differ. this is really damage control. i do have some left that are necessary (orgo sequence, biochem, a few upper-level bios), but the rest would be to boost my science gpa, because it's pretty horrid right now because of one terrible semester and okay-ish other grades. i feel like i study way better now and i was super immature when i started off college, so hopefully that will push me through.

anyway, the masters will likely be expensive because i live on long island and of the non-thesis masters i've found, most are not close to me or are private (such as adelphi). the post-bacc wouldn't be formal; it would be just me signing up for classes at a local 4-year school to get the classes done and would definitely be cheaper. so i guess i'll do that (post-bacc), then. gotta save $$ for dental school! lol

i don't have lots of sciences left to take, but my sgpa would beg to differ. this is really damage control. i do have some left that are necessary (orgo sequence, biochem, a few upper-level bios), but the rest would be to boost my science gpa, because it's pretty horrid right now because of one terrible semester and okay-ish other grades. i feel like i study way better now and i was super immature when i started off college, so hopefully that will push me through.

anyway, the masters will likely be expensive because i live on long island and of the non-thesis masters i've found, most are not close to me or are private (such as adelphi). the post-bacc wouldn't be formal; it would be just me signing up for classes at a local 4-year school to get the classes done and would definitely be cheaper. so i guess i'll do that (post-bacc), then. gotta save $$ for dental school! lol

People on here often advocate for the postbac over the masters, but I have a strong feeling my masters at UMDNJ did more for me than the extra classes I took at Penn after graduating there (I basically duplicated their Special Science program). As more and more applications are being submitted, I think upward trends aren't being as easily noticed, and during my interviews the interviewers remarked more on my masters GPA than my post-bac GPA.

The bottom line is that you need to do well in a full course load of hard science (upper level bio probably best). I don't know what your DAT or shadowing/EC/work stuff is like, but make sure these are solid, too. On paper, these things need to be good before the next time you apply.

In terms of Masters vs. post-bac, do something that you think will set you up to perform the best. I did a Masters and I can safely say I learned a lot from going to a new school and city. I've got more debt, but nothing working an extra 3-4 months as a dentist later on can't address. Balance cost, location, and overall lifestyle and you'll find something that works for you. Best of luck!

Oh, and this advice kind of depends on your gpa. <3.0 do post-bac since some schools will screen you automatically. <3.0 I'd say considering a Masters is in the mix.

It depends. If you have a lot of science classes left to take and you don't have that many credits under your belt, then a post bacc would be good to boost your GPA. But if you have a lot of credits and you've taken a lot of undergrad classes, then a master's would be good. Also, I think a huge advantage of Master's is that some schools will only look at your Master's and wipe clean what you did in undergrad, while others will add it in your undergraduate and look at your undergrad + master's cumulative GPA. So it does the same thing as a post bacc but gives you that extra advantage in some schools. Also, if a post bacc is cheaper, I would just do that.

Master Pain is right though, ask the school what they think, because some schools like Master's students while others will prefer you have a strong undergrad GPA.

Which schools look will looker closer at my Master GPA than undergrad GPA?

Last edited:
People on here often advocate for the postbac over the masters, but I have a strong feeling my masters at UMDNJ did more for me than the extra classes I took at Penn after graduating there (I basically duplicated their Special Science program). As more and more applications are being submitted, I think upward trends aren't being as easily noticed, and during my interviews the interviewers remarked more on my masters GPA than my post-bac GPA.

I agree. I guess it depends on the situation but generally I think MA programs (like the one offered at UMDNJ) are looked upon more favorably than post-bac programs.

if a do a masters, does it matter if it's in specifically oral health or not? i have found 2 in-state options that i could manage, though they are far -- CCNY and hunter college. umdnj would probably mean moving and it's $25,000 for tuition, then living costs, etc.

does anyone happen to know if stony brook has any non-thesis biology masters programs? i e-mailed the department, but no one answered me.