masters or post bacc? pros and cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supersash

so what's an epitope?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all!

i will be graduating in the spring (after transferring), with a 3.15 cum and 3.2 science (final year GPA about 3.6). i am applying to DO schools, but am doing a masters program of sorts in my glide year.

here's the question: i am applying to nutrition programs, as i want a career to fall back on if i dont ever get in to medical school. one of the schools i am applying for has a masters in nutrition, as well as a 2nd bachelors in nutrition. i'm not sure which i should apply for. i think if i do the 2nd bachelors, those classes will count towards my UG GPA, which would be nice. what is a girl to do?!

any help/advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

supersash said:
hi all!

i will be graduating in the spring (after transferring), with a 3.15 cum and 3.2 science (final year GPA about 3.6). i am applying to DO schools, but am doing a masters program of sorts in my glide year.

here's the question: i am applying to nutrition programs, as i want a career to fall back on if i dont ever get in to medical school. one of the schools i am applying for has a masters in nutrition, as well as a 2nd bachelors in nutrition. i'm not sure which i should apply for. i think if i do the 2nd bachelors, those classes will count towards my UG GPA, which would be nice. what is a girl to do?!

if you actually care about a career to fall back on you better do masters, a BS in nutrition wouldn't get you a job anywhere. if you had a masters in nutrition and went to a DO school i think that'd be a really good fit. good luck

supersash said:
hi all!

Being a doctor and a nutritionist are fairly different careers. If your dream is to be a doctor, you need to go for it full steam, without a net. Your GPA is such that it can be rehabilitated to a competitive level, should you not get in someplace, and in such case you'd want to beef up your undergrad cum with more A's in sciences and more ECs. However as the prior poster said, if you want a fallback career, the masters will be of more use. Medicine is such a full time committment and focus that if you are still toying with the notion of other jobs, you are going to have a rough time. Other people who take eg. the nutritionist route are going to be done, have careers and families long before you will - so you have to really really know that you want to be a doctor to take that route.