Master's Program in NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in NY and just received my B.S.,however; my GPA is a little weak and I have come to the realization I might need a Master's program. If i decide to go this route does anyone know any good ones? Will I have to pay a high tuition at a school like NYU or Columbia or is there any good CUNY ones? Personally, I would definitely enjoy an MPH but many have told me its useless because it will not increase my science GPA, I understand this but an M.S. in Biology just seems so boring.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in NY and just received my B.S.,however; my GPA is a little weak and I have come to the realization I might need a Master's program. If i decide to go this route does anyone know any good ones? Will I have to pay a high tuition at a school like NYU or Columbia or is there any good CUNY ones? Personally, I would definitely enjoy an MPH but many have told me its useless because it will not increase my science GPA, I understand this but an M.S. in Biology just seems so boring.

While it seems boring.. its exactly what you'll need. I believe UMDNJ has a Masters and so does LIU. Expect to spend between 20 to 30K on a Masters.

Not the closest option but Drexel has a program as well. Philly isn't too bad of a distance.

Members don't see this ad :)

Since one year SMP's are geared towards people interested in health professions, a good portion of the material will be health sciences related. So maybe it won't be that boring.

Take a look at this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

If you're looking to stay in NY and pay cheap tuition, I know SBU has fairly new programs in Molec. & Cell Bio and Microbio. There was also talk of a Public Health masters too

University at Buffalo has a MA program in their Biological Sciences Department geared toward students who want to go into professional programs not strictly associated with research (dental/medical).