Masters program question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to go to med school in a couple of years. But need to increase my GPA. Does anyone know about a Masters in Health Sciences. Nova Southeastern has an online one and considering I am from NH with few schools around here, it sounds like a good option. Do allo schools like that sort of thing? Also, how much shadowing is generally a good idea? I know more is better, but if I cant do it all the time, what is a min? Cheers! :D

Members don't see this ad.

redwings54 said:
I'm looking to go to med school in a couple of years. But need to increase my GPA. Does anyone know about a Masters in Health Sciences. Nova Southeastern has an online one and considering I am from NH with few schools around here, it sounds like a good option. Do allo schools like that sort of thing? Also, how much shadowing is generally a good idea? I know more is better, but if I cant do it all the time, what is a min? Cheers! :D

They separate your undergrad and grad GPA, so you won't be able to bring it up. You will be able to show you have a kick-butt grad GPA, though.

don't do public health. Take Masters in science. yes they seperate but also an upward treand also counts for a lot.

peace

Members don't see this ad :)
mrgq912 said:
don't do public health. Take Masters in science. yes they seperate but also an upward treand also counts for a lot.

peace
I've been reading this all over the place. Why is a Masters in Public Health Sciences bad?

redwings54 said:

I had thought about doing a Masters in Healthcare Administration before. This would be a good choice to look into as well.

A M.P.H. is not bad, in fact a public health background is very favorable to most medical schools. In all of my interviews, the main thing that we spoke about was my public health background - I was a public health major for my B.A., and I am also currently getting an M.S. (similar to M.H.S.) at a public health school. I'm guessing that most schools are desiring to broaden their medical education to include epidemiology and evidenced-based medicine, as well as health policy, international health, environmental health, and immunology/biochemistry - all topics that are included under the broad umbrella of "public health." I would recommend a M.P.H. or M.H.S. to anyone, pre or post M.D.! :)

sunny123 said:
I've been reading this all over the place. Why is a Masters in Public Health Sciences bad?

It's great if you already had a competitive application before entering the graduate public health program and public health is what you want to do with your M.D. I'm glad I did it before applying. I got some great experiences, learned a lot, developed more focused goals, and helped me determine that I wanted to apply to med school so that I could go farther in public health. It also gave me a lot to talk about in my personal statement and interviews. However, it's not going to help out someone who was mediocre before the public health program because the classes techinically aren't "hard-core" sciences. Most people who really need to enter a graduate program to make their app more competitive need to prove that they can do well in science courses and public health won't give you that. Just my $0.02.

Brain said:
It's great if you already had a competitive application before entering the graduate public health program and public health is what you want to do with your M.D. I'm glad I did it before applying. I got some great experiences, learned a lot, developed more focused goals, and helped me determine that I wanted to apply to med school so that I could go farther in public health. It also gave me a lot to talk about in my personal statement and interviews. However, it's not going to help out someone who was mediocre before the public health program because the classes techinically aren't "hard-core" sciences. Most people who really need to enter a graduate program to make their app more competitive need to prove that they can do well in science courses and public health won't give you that. Just my $0.02.

Lets clarify MPH and MHS are totally differnent. MHS is science based, with hard scienes. MPH is more health policy, epidemiology, etc.

I got an MHS in Reproductive Bio at the Hopkins School of Public Health. It was an awesome program. I think schools liked it. Not only did I take a bunch of real science classes, but I also got to take more public heathy-stuff. It was a great combo. And the public health courses i took gave me a lot to talk about in interviews.

Sundarban1 said:
Lets clarify MPH and MHS are totally differnent. MHS is science based, with hard scienes. MPH is more health policy, epidemiology, etc.

I guess it depends. At my school, they only differ by a couple of courses.

The MHS in Reporductive Bio at Hopkins is specifically for people who are applying to med school and need to get their science GPAs up. It generally has more of hard science approach. Repro Bio is a division within the Biochem dept at JHBSPH. There is a huge array of other MHS degrees offered at Johns Hopkins SPH that are not as heavy in the hard sciences- I believe one in every department.
The MPH at Hopkins is school-wide (read:not departmental), although with recent changes in the curriculum, one "majors" in a departmental concentration. The MHS offered by most departments is a masters offered by the department- you would apply to the department, not the school, per se.

There are also MSc degrees, which are generally more research oriented and often take more time than the MHS. The difference between school-wide degrees and departmentally offered degrees makes more sense once you know the program. The proportion of harder sciences that comprise each dept. degree requirements varies.

The public health classes generally (but not necessarily) tend to be less science based and don't necessarily contribute to the BCPM GPA the way a more hard science oriented program would.

Don't forget that when you get a Masters, it doesn't raise your undergrad gpa. You get a Masters gpa. The only program that will raise your undergrad gpa/science gpa is a Post-bac program.

wait - uptoolate- you did the repro bio program at hopkins too? Hmm... I don't think I know you though. Did you just graduate?

I didn't- I did my MPH and I'm finishing my PhD- but I did all the coursework for the MHS in Repro. Bio a couple of years ago. Dr. Brown looked into letting me get a dual degree but the registrar said no deal. I did the coursework in 2002-03? I think? I've been there toooo long. I took Janice Evans' class in 2003-04-whenever her brother got married. Oh boy, do I have to get some sleep.

uptoolate said:
I didn't- I did my MPH and I'm finishing my PhD- but I did all the coursework for the MHS in Repro. Bio a couple of years ago. Dr. Brown looked into letting me get a dual degree but the registrar said no deal. I did the coursework in 2002-03? I think? I've been there toooo long. I took Janice Evans' class in 2003-04-whenever her brother got married. Oh boy, do I have to get some sleep.

Yeah, i took Evans' class in 03-04 too. She is always so hyper :D

Sundarban1 said:

hm... i am still unsure between an mph and mhs. so you're saying that a mhs is based upon hard sciences while mph is more public policy, correct?

so for those who want to go into health administration, it is a mph that we need? then what is the purpose of mhs and MSc exactly?