Masters program Vs. Post bac

Started by glrandal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

glrandal

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a Senior Biology BS major at Syracuse University. My overall GPA is not that good because when I first started I was not that focused. I left and worked for a pharmaceutical company for a year, decided I didn't like that and returned to Syracuse U. Since I have returned, 2 semesters so far on my 3rd and final, I have made the deans list every semester, re-took O-chem I and II and got B and B+ in the class. I volunteered last semester at ambulance, hospital and hospice and worked part time, this semester I had to drop the volunteering and pick up another job. so I am taking 19 credits, 2 part time jobs and taking a Kaplan MCAT course. Thats the quick and dirty background. My question is this, I have applied to several post-bac programs, LECOM, PCOM GA, Harvard extention and a couple others. Along with this I began to think about possible careers if I dont get accepted into medical school, so I applied to Johns Hopkins for a M.S. in Bioinformatics and I have been accepted. I really want to go to medical school so would it be more beneficial to take the hopkins program full time then apply or would it be better to attend a post bac program?
 
Last edited:
I am somewhat in a similar situation as you are currently in. Graduated with a BS in engineering worked in a pharmaceutical industry as a process engineer and didn't quite like it. I am taking some classes to boost my science GPA and I'm applying to some SMP for this Fall of 2009.

I personally think you should apply to SMP programs that has a high % in getting their students into medical school instead of a post-bac. A lot of post-bacs are geared to putting students without any background in science and since you have taken o-chem and such you would not qualify or it would not do you any good. Unless your GPA is on the borderline 3.5 ish..

I think an MS in bioinformatics is good but it might not count towards your BCPM grades (unless you already have a high undergraduate BCPM). I talked to admission committee at Stanford and they view BCPM as a good predictor of academic success, especially for people with less than competitive undergraduate GPA.

I am currently a Senior Biology BS major at Syracuse University. My overall GPA is not that good because when I first started I was not that focused. I left and worked for a pharmaceutical company for a year, decided I didn't like that and returned to Syracuse U. Since I have returned, 2 semesters so far on my 3rd and final, I have made the deans list every semester, re-took O-chem I and II and got B and B+ in the class. I volunteered last semester at ambulance, hospital and hospice and worked part time, this semester I had to drop the volunteering and pick up another job. so I am taking 19 credits, 2 part time jobs and taking a Kaplan MCAT course. Thats the quick and dirty background. My question is this, I have applied to several post-bac programs, LECOM, PCOM GA, Harvard extention and a couple others. Along with this I began to think about possible careers if I dont get accepted into medical school, so I applied to Johns Hopkins for a M.S. in Bioinformatics and I have been accepted. I really want to go to medical school so would it be more beneficial to take the hopkins program full time then apply or would it be better to attend a post bac program?
 
Yea I worked in downstream processing and I did not like it. What I was also thinking was a post-bac program helps your undergraduate GPA and a SMP doesn't right? If I am on a upward trend ith my GPA wouldnt it be more adventageous to show that I can get a 3.8 and a master's degree from Hopkins comparred to getting a 3.8 and no degree in a post bac program? Also, if by some chance I do not get into medical school I can alsways fall back on the Master's I did get. what do you think?

If I could choose my ideal path it would be this: I graduate in may with my BS in Biology. I am taking the MCAT on may 28th and have taken a kaplan course and I am studying with a group intensely for the exam. So hopefully I get a 30 or above on the exam. I have applied to some post bac programs (harvard, and some offered by DO schools, ) Hopefully I can get into an "upper" level post bac program and start that in september, and since the hopkins program can be done online part time, register for onc class so I dont loose my acceptance. apply to medical schools this summer before the post bac begins with emphasis on the fact that I am taking a post bac and classes through JHUand this will help my application. What SMP would you recommend?

Thanks

I am somewhat in a similar situation as you are currently in. Graduated with a BS in engineering worked in a pharmaceutical industry as a process engineer and didn't quite like it. I am taking some classes to boost my science GPA and I'm applying to some SMP for this Fall of 2009.

I personally think you should apply to SMP programs that has a high % in getting their students into medical school instead of a post-bac. A lot of post-bacs are geared to putting students without any background in science and since you have taken o-chem and such you would not qualify or it would not do you any good. Unless your GPA is on the borderline 3.5 ish..

I think an MS in bioinformatics is good but it might not count towards your BCPM grades (unless you already have a high undergraduate BCPM). I talked to admission committee at Stanford and they view BCPM as a good predictor of academic success, especially for people with less than competitive undergraduate GPA.