1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

masters program while reapplying

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Cher*, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cher*

Pre-Dental
    Well, I know there might still be hope to get in this year... but I'm thinking about reapplying for 2008 :(
    I wanted to enter a masters program (like oral biology) next year...has anyone else done this? do u know what programs are better to get into and how long they typically are? oh and what are the admissions requirements?

Can you please let me know anything that is relevant to going about this...

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. -_-

-_-

Pre-Dental
    me too. do you guys know any good program accepts DAT?

4. USCbiograd

Dental Student
    I am also going to acquire my master's before reapplying to Dental School. The Master of Biomedical Sciences at the University of South Carolina (the program I intend on completing) took my DAT scores instead of making me take the GRE. They also accepted my letters of recommendation from Dental School. This has made my application much easier, and I would assume that the majority of Masters programs would be willing to do so also.

5. USCbiograd

Dental Student
    The program I am appling to is geared toward pre-Dent/Med/Vet students that were not accepted. It is a thesis based program that lasts for 2 years, but the admission requirements are quite low. 3.02 average GPA and 50th percentile standardized test. (Class of 2005)

6. t man

t man Epoxi-Lips

Pre-Dental
  7. EnviroDentist

Pre-Dental
    Thanks t man, the Boston program sounds interesting. Do you have any idea how difficult these programs are to get in? Is it too late to apply?

8. Cher*

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the info...those links and threads are pretty good :)

Check out this website too:
    http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

9. CSI Dentist

Non-Student
    yeah.. i am doing this too now...

there is a great program at LSU, it takes ur DAT scores, and one at UNT in TX which hopefully I will do... they take MCAT only but if u ask nicely they might take GRE or DAT ....

10. drpduck

drpduck Senior Member

Dental Student
    I'm finishing up my M.S. in may from Hopkins, I talked all about it in one of those threads that Cher highlighted.

When I was looking around for M.S. programs, I asked a few to substitute my DAT for MCAT/GRE and for the most part they were ok with it. So just because a program doesn't specifically say it accepts the DAT doesn't mean they won't, just contact them.

Or you could just find an M.S. program that doesn't require any standardized test scores (like mine!).

11. UJ007

Dental Student
    I'm also looking for a masters program, do you might if I ask if you got in to any D-school this cycle drpduck?

12. t man

t man Epoxi-Lips

Pre-Dental
    they're not impossible to get into from what i understand, but you should have good DATs to give yourself the best shot at acceptance. you should keep in mind that these programs are designed for students who need to pick up their GPA first and foremost. examine the programs tog et an idea if you're a good fit. and also the boston program is definitely one of the more selective SMPs out there.

and just like any other program it's best to apply as early as possible, even though most don't have deadlines until June 1 or later.

13. drpduck

drpduck Senior Member

Dental Student
    Got accepted to Maryland, my state school.