masters program while reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cher*

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I know there might still be hope to get in this year... but I'm thinking about reapplying for 2008 :(
I wanted to enter a masters program (like oral biology) next year...has anyone else done this? do u know what programs are better to get into and how long they typically are? oh and what are the admissions requirements?

Can you please let me know anything that is relevant to going about this...

Thanks in advance ;)

Members don't see this ad.

me too. do you guys know any good program accepts DAT?

I am also going to acquire my master's before reapplying to Dental School. The Master of Biomedical Sciences at the University of South Carolina (the program I intend on completing) took my DAT scores instead of making me take the GRE. They also accepted my letters of recommendation from Dental School. This has made my application much easier, and I would assume that the majority of Masters programs would be willing to do so also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I know there might still be hope to get in this year... but I'm thinking about reapplying for 2008 :(
I wanted to enter a masters program (like oral biology) next year...has anyone else done this? do u know what programs are better to get into and how long they typically are? oh and what are the admissions requirements?

Can you please let me know anything that is relevant to going about this...

Thanks in advance ;)

The program I am appling to is geared toward pre-Dent/Med/Vet students that were not accepted. It is a thesis based program that lasts for 2 years, but the admission requirements are quite low. 3.02 average GPA and 50th percentile standardized test. (Class of 2005)

Thanks t man, the Boston program sounds interesting. Do you have any idea how difficult these programs are to get in? Is it too late to apply?

hey there are a couple of threads on masters programs you guys might want to check out. (one of which i made :) )

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=365730&highlight=Attn%3A+Reapplicants+SMP

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=338473&highlight=Masters

also, theres a post-bacc SMP forum in SDN which you might want to check out.

Thanks for the info...those links and threads are pretty good :)

Check out this website too:
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

yeah.. i am doing this too now...

there is a great program at LSU, it takes ur DAT scores, and one at UNT in TX which hopefully I will do... they take MCAT only but if u ask nicely they might take GRE or DAT ....

I'm finishing up my M.S. in may from Hopkins, I talked all about it in one of those threads that Cher highlighted.

When I was looking around for M.S. programs, I asked a few to substitute my DAT for MCAT/GRE and for the most part they were ok with it. So just because a program doesn't specifically say it accepts the DAT doesn't mean they won't, just contact them.

Or you could just find an M.S. program that doesn't require any standardized test scores (like mine!).

I'm finishing up my M.S. in may from Hopkins, I talked all about it in one of those threads that Cher highlighted.

When I was looking around for M.S. programs, I asked a few to substitute my DAT for MCAT/GRE and for the most part they were ok with it. So just because a program doesn't specifically say it accepts the DAT doesn't mean they won't, just contact them.

Or you could just find an M.S. program that doesn't require any standardized test scores (like mine!).

I'm also looking for a masters program, do you might if I ask if you got in to any D-school this cycle drpduck?

Thanks t man, the Boston program sounds interesting. Do you have any idea how difficult these programs are to get in? Is it too late to apply?

they're not impossible to get into from what i understand, but you should have good DATs to give yourself the best shot at acceptance. you should keep in mind that these programs are designed for students who need to pick up their GPA first and foremost. examine the programs tog et an idea if you're a good fit. and also the boston program is definitely one of the more selective SMPs out there.

and just like any other program it's best to apply as early as possible, even though most don't have deadlines until June 1 or later.

I'm also looking for a masters program, do you might if I ask if you got in to any D-school this cycle drpduck?

Got accepted to Maryland, my state school.