Masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to graduate in May and haven't yet applied to med school (I plan to do that next year). I am looking for things to do next year....ranging from lab internships to basic-level hospital jobs, etc.

I recently found out about a one-year Master's program in bioethics. In your opinion, would this be equally good, or not so good, as doing something more clinical or lab-related? I am planning to volunteer in a hospital for clinical experience.

Thanks!

Karen

Members don't see this ad.

... On whether or not you need to boost your gpa for med school. If you have low overall or low science gpa, then I would do something more life science oriented. If not, then go for it if you think you would enjoy it. It sounds like an interesting program.

Ana

Karen44-
That program sounds interesting...Would you mind posting what school(s) offer it?

Thx
AM

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, the only 1-year program I've found so far was through UVA, I think in the religion department (if I find the web address, I'll post it). There's also a 2-year program with the NIH, though I'm not sure if it leads to a degree.

Ana, my GPA is good (both science and overall), but were you saying that a master's program would be useful for boosting my GPA? Or just that I should go more into a science field if my GPA is low? (Sorry, it's a little late here, probably not thinking too clearly!).

Also, this isn't as related to med school, but do you know if the master's would count toward a Ph.D. if I decided to do that after med school?

Thanks,

Karen

i believe you can continue coursework in the relevant field and obtain a phd whenever you want-
peter

Karen,
The GPA for courses taken towards a graduate degree will be calculated separately from your undergrad gpa (UGPA). However, if you had a GPA that was not competitive for med school, getting good grades in a life science discipline would be helpful despite the separate calculation.

What I meant by my previous post that if this master's degree is being taken to rehabilitate a low UGPA, then it would not be the ideal choice. However, this does not seem to be the case for you.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Ana