Masters Programs?

Started by Kymmy16w
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kymmy16w

Donkey Therapist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. Basically I am bummed because I won't be going to vet school this fall. My GPA is just too low (3.0). I have amazing experience, great letters, a good statement, etc., my GPA is just holding me back. Even if I kick butt and get straight A's for the next year, I wouldn't be able to boost it to a 3.5.

Soooo, I was talking to someone who was in a similar situation as me a few years ago. She decided to apply to a masters program (equine-related). She ended up doing very well in it, and ended up applying to vet school after her masters was completed. She has already been accepted into 3 schools.

I was wondering, have any of you done this to help your chances of getting in? I think it may be the only way I'll be able to get into vet school. I don't really have a problem with spending a couple extra years (better than never getting in). What do you guys think? I would of course want get into a program that was animal related, preferably equine, but I just want to help increase my chances of attaining my goal of being a vet. :luck:
 
Hmmm ... I know a vet who didn't even apply the first round, because she was worried about her GPA, did an an sci masters, and got in no problem. I would reccommend trying to do a masters at the same program as you would like to attend vet school; that way, you can maybe have a faculty write a letter, things like that. I would HIGHLY suggest talking to an adcom and having a file review, just to make sure the rest of your application was as strong as it needed to be -- if you're taking a few years, may as well work on all points, I figure.

Best of luck to you!!
 
Kymmy16w - If you're fine with spending the extra couple of years for the masters...I say, why not?! But, just so you know....your GPA is not the end-all, be-all. I was accepted with a 3.0 (really bad first 2 years!) to Glasgow, Ross & SGU; while SGU & Ross aren't accredited and aren't on everyone's list...it's still an option. I'm 28yo right now...and I was definitely NOT retaking courses I took 9 years ago to up my GPA! Granted, I would definitely love to attend a top school in the US (yay CSU), but it wasn't in the cards for me. I'm super happy I was accepted to Glasgow, they have an amazing program....and they did make it known during my interview that my GPA was lower than those they typically accept (I believe 3.4)...but I think that, sometimes, it's the whole package that really makes the difference.

Just my 2 cents worth...hope it helps.