masters science (poor undergrad gpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deemoraad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question.
I wont get into specifics, but lets say I have a poor undergrad gpa
would getting a masters in chem, or biochem, or something non trad like finance help me make up for my poor gpa? What about doing my own post bacc to retake classes, and take other upper division courses. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Best is to find post-bacc programs or specialized masters programs.

While a masters in the sciences shows you are able to take graduate level course work, schools want to see you in a program that will prepare you for medical school. I did an MS in the life sciences and that's what they told me at interviews.

Best is to find post-bacc programs or specialized masters programs.

While a masters in the sciences shows you are able to take graduate level course work, schools want to see you in a program that will prepare you for medical school. I did an MS in the life sciences and that's what they told me at interviews.

I see. So what if I did post bacc work on my own instead of a masters, would that look better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Deemorad,

Depending on how low your undergraduate GPA is, you may want to consider taking upper division bio courses on your own at your local 4-year university. For example, if your cGPA or your sGPA is below a 3.0, definitely take some upper division bio for a few semesters and ace your courses. Calculate how many semesters of A's you would need to get your GPA above a 3.0. This will give you the best shot at MD. Then, depending on your MCAT score, you could apply BROADLY, or pursue a Special Master's Program which are written about all over the Post-Bacc forum. (there's a lot to learn about these, so read everything you can about them) Many people will suggest you do an SMP with any GPA below a 3.5, but depending on the rest of your application (MCAT especially), it is possible to get an acceptance to an MD school with a GPA on the lower end of the 3.0-4.0 range.

Or, if you want to apply to DO schools as well, they have a grade replacement policy where if you retake a course, they consider only your second grade, and not both of them together, so your GPA may be higher than you think for DO schools if you have not factored this in.

Hope this was helpful!