Master's (thesis) vs More undergrad courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManUnderFire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my situation is thus:

cGPA: 2.999 (2.56 undergrad/3.51 post-bacc)
sGPA: 3.02

MCAT: 28Q

My dilemma:

enroll in a thesis-based master's with only 12 credits of courses (2 yrs long)

OR

take more undergrad courses for 1-2 yrs and then apply for admission

OR

Bite the bullet and apply for 2012, since 2011 is out the question now given the lateness in the cycle and my lack of competiveness

I've done a preliminary search on SDN about the topic, but it seems that it hasn't been discussed on the DO forum. I'll do a more exhaustive search when I get home, after work. But I just wanted to see if I could get some responses by the time I get back. :D

The pinch:

I've already done ~215 credits worth of undergrad courses, so adding another 60 credits of classes @ 3.7 GPA would give me a grand total of ~3.16 sCGPA/cGPA, each.

Also (unfortunately) my first undergrad institution will not allow me to re-do any courses due to my superior (2.56) GPA the first go-around, so an*l retentive!

So, what would you do in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

My dilemma:

OR

OR

Bite the bullet and apply for 2012, since 2011 is out the question now given the lateness in the cycle and my lack of competiveness

I've done a preliminary search on SDN about the topic, but it seems that it hasn't been discussed on the DO forum. I'll do a more exhaustive search when I get home, after work. But I just wanted to see if I could get some responses by the time I get back. :D

The pinch:

I've already done ~215 credits worth of undergrad courses, so adding another 60 credits of classes @ 3.7 GPA would give me a grand total of ~3.16 sCGPA/cGPA, each.

Also (unfortunately) my first undergrad institution will not allow me to re-do any courses due to my superior (2.56) GPA the first go-around, so an*l retentive!

You're in a tight spot. If you had .001 more in your cGPA department I would say to definitely go with the Master's and crush it. I'm sure it's a pretty huge dagger when they see a 2 in that first place column for GPA, but it certainly can be done. In the long run, I'd say go with the Master's. An extra 2 years will give you plenty of time to get outrageous amounts of clinical, volunteer, teaching, etc... A Master's will also give you something to fall back on should you decide within a year or two that Medicine is not for you, which does happen. However if you are really concerned with taking additional time off, I'd say go with the additional ugrad courses, load them up with higher level science and knock them out of the park.

Ultimately your decision though.

You're in a tight spot. If you had .001 more in your cGPA department I would say to definitely go with the Master's and crush it. I'm sure it's a pretty huge dagger when they see a 2 in that first place column for GPA, but it certainly can be done. In the long run, I'd say go with the Master's. An extra 2 years will give you plenty of time to get outrageous amounts of clinical, volunteer, teaching, etc... A Master's will also give you something to fall back on should you decide within a year or two that Medicine is not for you, which does happen. However if you are really concerned with taking additional time off, I'd say go with the additional ugrad courses, load them up with higher level science and knock them out of the park.

For what its worth in AMCAS and AACOMAS calculations they round, they don't truncate, at two digits. 2.999 (if thats actually the case) rounds to 3.0. Just sayin

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would help you the most to get that MCAT above 30. With your recent post-bacc success, I bet you could crush another run at the test.

This was the almost EXACTLY the place I was in a few years back. I had a 2.45 ugrad GPA with an even worse science GPA. I got a masters degree with a 3.7ish GPA and a 27....then a 29 mcat (ended up getting accepted with the 27 actually). My aacomas GPA was something like 2.89 at the time of application...amcas is obviously separate GPA for both grad and undergrad. Even with a low cumulative GPA....I interviewed at 5 schools and was accepted to LMU DCOM, PCOM (my school now), NYMC, waitlisted at NSU. I got an interview invite at UNE and Touro but chose to decline those. My father is an alumnus of NYMC...so that explains that. So there is hope for you...I dont really know that I would bother to be taking more classes....how many post bacc credits do you have?

Tight is right!

If I recall correctly, AACOMAS groups gradGPA and undergradGPA together, so I would definitely be bumped up to 3.00 should I opt for the master's. Although, with the master's option, I think I'll have less time for extracurriculars compared to freelance courses since I'll have to be in the lab from 9-4 almost everyday. At least with UGcourses, I could divy my time up the way I see fit. But thanks for your input-much appreciated.:thumbup:

I think it would help you the most to get that MCAT above 30. With your recent post-bacc success, I bet you could crush another run at the test.

I have to admit, the first time I took on the beast (aka MCAT) I was scared sh*tless. The pressure (both due to my status and self-imposed)was on to perform. Since I demystified the test last time, I think I COULD score higher the second go around. I'm guessing nothing less than a 31 would do, right?

My dilemma:

OR

OR

The pinch:

I think you should go ahead and apply to at least 15 DO schools. I definitely believe that you have a shot this cycle. Or retake the MCAT and apply for next cycle with more ECs and health related experiences.

This was the almost EXACTLY the place I was in a few years back. I had a 2.45 ugrad GPA with an even worse science GPA. I got a masters degree with a 3.7ish GPA and a 27....then a 29 mcat (ended up getting accepted with the 27 actually). My aacomas GPA was something like 2.89 at the time of application...amcas is obviously separate GPA for both grad and undergrad. Even with a low cumulative GPA....I interviewed at 5 schools and was accepted to LMU DCOM, PCOM (my school now), NYMC, waitlisted at NSU. I got an interview invite at UNE and Touro but chose to decline those. My father is an alumnus of NYMC...so that explains that. So there is hope for you...I dont really know that I would bother to be taking more classes....how many post bacc credits do you have?

Damn! You ended up all-right, huh? Was your master's thesis based? If so, how many credited courses did you have to take? What strikes me is that you got so many interviews with your GPA. I gather you had crazy CV/LORs/PS? As for myself, the CV is pretty standard: ~200 hrs clinical, ~340 hrs working (paid) with special needs children, plenty of seasons playing outdoor/indoor competitive/intramural soccer, ~30hrs shadowing a DO, (2) very good to excellent science prof LORs in the bag, work p/t as a personal trainer for 2.5 yrs now.

I'm not crazy about taking classes either, since I think it doesn't show any form of 'progression' or improvement beyond getting good grades, which I already did during my post-bacc. But I'll do what I must if that is my best option.

Credits? I accrued 81 credits over 3 years during my post-bacc. Since Fall 2005, I've only gotten a single grade below 'B' which was a 'D' (hated the course and it overlapped with my shift at work which resulted in many absences/early departures, my bad :cool:).

I know, based on my time on SDN, that if someone is truly committed to the cause, that person will get accepted eventually. But man, I don't want to start med at an age when my mojo has turned to dust :thumbdown:

I think you should go ahead and apply to at least 15 DO schools. I definitely believe that you have a shot this cycle. Or retake the MCAT and apply for next cycle with more ECs and health related experiences.

Had I posted this question 2 months ago, and had you responded accordingly...I probably would've applied for 2011 entrance. But I would be rushed to get all my shiite together for this cycle. I definitely need more community hrs and I still need to butter up my doc to cough up a LOR, and so far, all he knows about me is that my BP is slightly elevated (most likely due to the med school app related anxiety). I appreciate the vote of confidence, though.

bump :).

I've gotten some excellent feedback so far, and the more the merrier :thumbup:

Personally, I wouldn't bother doing 60 credits of undergrad work. It will all seem like inflation. Try re-taking 1 or 2 class(es) just to push yourself to a 3.0. You can easily do this at a community college or something. At this point the masters will give you more scientific credibility.

Personally, I wouldn't bother doing 60 credits of undergrad work. It will all seem like inflation. Try re-taking 1 or 2 class(es) just to push yourself to a 3.0. You can easily do this at a community college or something. At this point the masters will give you more scientific credibility.

Inflation? How so?

Inflation? How so?
I don't speak from any experience in ADCOMS, but I think everyone must be done with undergrad at a certain point. It just seems like an SMP like the WesternU MSMS could benefit you greatly.