Master's vs. MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like I might have a year off before dental school. In this time I want to do something productive. I want to complete an MPH or a Master's. I think a master's in biomedics will help me more in the immediate future by preparing me for classes such as anatomy, physiology, and biochem which I'll have to repeat in dental school. I think however an MPH will benefit me greatly after graduating dental school and will open many doors. By the way I also wish to specialize post DDS. So what do you think I should do in my lag year?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think you can finish either program in one year? Because if you start, you will be asked to finish it.

Yes I can finish either in one year, with summers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would take the MPH. It gives you business skills to help run your practice. It also helps you broaden your avenues when you're done (either with school or practce). The science stuff will be covered in dental school anyway.

A masters in a year..man thats fast. Why do you want to work so hard before dental school? The 4 years here are hard enough already...I would just take the year off and enjoy it!

Well I want to do really good during my first 2 years of dental school and I think this master's program will prepare me for that. Retaking classes in dental school sounds like it will be so much fun, I want straight A's so I can specialize. I was also considering doing a dental hygenist degree but that usually takes 2 years.

Taking a year off isn't that appealing to me. I'm only taking 7 credits right now because I'm done with my undergrad and it's very boring and stressful because all I think about is getting tomorrow's mail with an acceptance letter in it.

^^^ It depends on the person. I've been in a position where I had to retake some basic sciences (I did them in another country originally) and it just made me complacent the second time around. I felt bored by the material more than anything else.

I'm not saying you will feel like this since everyone is different, but it's good to know how you might feel on this issue before making your decision.

Would any of these degrees help me get into a specialty after D-school?

Originally posted by speter33
Would any of these degrees help me get into a specialty after D-school?

Yes it would if you made good grades...you know a 3.5+

I was talking to a person here that does ortho admissions and they said any type of masters will boost your chances some. Not to say you will be a shoe in, but it does give you some leverage.

Well SDN has helped me a lot and I think I did my fair share in return, so this will be my last post. Good luck to you all!

Originally posted by Brocnizer2007
Yes it would if you made good grades...you know a 3.5+

I was talking to a person here that does ortho admissions and they said any type of masters will boost your chances some. Not to say you will be a shoe in, but it does give you some leverage.

Well SDN has helped me a lot and I think I did my fair share in return, so this will be my last post. Good luck to you all!
Thanx buddy! You've given me great advice over the past year. I hope you'll drop by sometimes.