-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Match Ceremony
Started by Steiner
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Pretty much the same as any other celebration.
First you have to convince your parents to come to the event.
Then, you have the ceremony with your medical school friends.
And, finally, the masses will likely indulge in less that reputable endeavors.
First you have to convince your parents to come to the event.
Then, you have the ceremony with your medical school friends.
And, finally, the masses will likely indulge in less that reputable endeavors.
Pretty much the same as any other celebration.
First you have to convince your parents to come to the event.
![]()
Then, you have the ceremony with your medical school friends.
![]()
And, finally, the masses will likely indulge in less that reputable endeavors.
![]()
are you high? 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm hoping to go to my school's match ceremony. I'm a 3rd year so I kinda want to see how it works. Plus, I have several 4th year friends, and it seems like a good time.
I'm considering going this year as an MSII so I can see what it's like and I don't know if I'd have time during 3rd year to go. Plus they invited us. Plus there is a cash bar. 😉 I'd rather go next year since I'd know quite a bit more folks in the class above me, but like I said, who knows what rotation I'll be on and whether I'll have the time/energy to attend.
Pretty much the same as any other celebration.
First you have to convince your parents to come to the event.
![]()
Then, you have the ceremony with your medical school friends.
![]()
And, finally, the masses will likely indulge in less that reputable endeavors.
![]()
This series made my week!
Then, you have the ceremony with your medical school friends.
![]()
This picture truly exemplifies the awkwardness of some of these "rite of passage" ceremonies. There's always a weird disconnect between the sweeping grandiosity of the event and the fact that you're pretty much still the same dude, just cleaned up a bit for exhibition. I mean just look at Han... You can almost hear him wondering what he should be doing with his hands as he stands up there.
Now, of course the morning that you receive that fancy envelop filled with your residency location can be rather irritable...if you catch my meaning.
However, hopefully, you'll match to the location of your dreams and squirrels everywhere will celebrate with festive dancing and displays.
But, beware overindulging as a little can lead to many bathroom visits...
but, too many can lead to confusion and poor decision making.
When it's all said and done, hopefully, we'll all end up where we want to be and those last few months before residency can be spent resting and taking in some Sun.
If all else fails...listen to the teachings of Obi-Wan...
In the end, I'm sure that none of us will end up like this guy...
However, hopefully, you'll match to the location of your dreams and squirrels everywhere will celebrate with festive dancing and displays.
But, beware overindulging as a little can lead to many bathroom visits...
but, too many can lead to confusion and poor decision making.
When it's all said and done, hopefully, we'll all end up where we want to be and those last few months before residency can be spent resting and taking in some Sun.
If all else fails...listen to the teachings of Obi-Wan...
In the end, I'm sure that none of us will end up like this guy...
4
45408
been saving these for a while? 

For the love of God, make this thread a sticky and mandatory reading for every member!
N
njbmd
It isn't the Match Day ceremony that folks need to attend, it's figuring out all of the stuff that you have to get done early, get done well and not screw up so that you end up matching in the first place.
This was a terrible year to try to scramble into anything. When I saw the figures for the numbers of places that totally filled this year, I was astounded. I surely hope that the scramblers were able to find something until next year, especially the ones who wanted to go into surgery. It's brutal if you don't match and this year, it was heartbreaking.
This was a terrible year to try to scramble into anything. When I saw the figures for the numbers of places that totally filled this year, I was astounded. I surely hope that the scramblers were able to find something until next year, especially the ones who wanted to go into surgery. It's brutal if you don't match and this year, it was heartbreaking.
It isn't the Match Day ceremony that folks need to attend, it's figuring out all of the stuff that you have to get done early, get done well and not screw up so that you end up matching in the first place.
This was a terrible year to try to scramble into anything. When I saw the figures for the numbers of places that totally filled this year, I was astounded. I surely hope that the scramblers were able to find something until next year, especially the ones who wanted to go into surgery. It's brutal if you don't match and this year, it was heartbreaking.
Will it get worse with the amount of increase in enrollment?
N
njbmd
Will it get worse with the amount of increase in enrollment?
The number of residency slots didn't increase. That means more students with less variety of choices. You may get a spot but you might not get the spot (or the specialty ) that you want because it just isn't there. Again, this year places that hadn't filled in years were full.
The number of residency slots didn't increase. That means more students with less variety of choices. You may get a spot but you might not get the spot (or the specialty ) that you want because it just isn't there. Again, this year places that hadn't filled in years were full.
MORAL OF THIS STORY:
Make sure to:
1. Ace years 1-2
2. Nail step 1
3. Kill clinical rotations
Good Luck,
BN
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MORAL OF THIS STORY:
Make sure to:
1. Ace years 1-2
2. Nail step 1
3. Kill clinical rotations
Good Luck,
BN
Um no, then you might not match and have just everyone asking you "How on earth did YOU not match? With your scores, school performance and number of interviews... you were one of the school's top candidates." Good times.
MORAL OF THIS STORY:
Make sure to:
1. Ace years 1-2
2. Nail step 1
3. Kill clinical rotations
Good Luck,
BN
If you can manage your #2 and #3, then you can come up short on #1. (of course #1 helps with the latter two). The "dirty little secret" of med school, as a mentor once told me, is that the first two years really don't count for much. I wouldn't downplay away (audition) rotation and strong LORs either.
I think things will get progressively tighter in the match from today on, as US med school numbers continue to increase and residency slots haven't, and likely won't. If you go to the NRMP website (or look at the data linked to threads in the gen residency board), you will see that the number of unfilled slots in even most mildly competitive fields was nil. That likely means a LOT of U.S. allo folks who have to scramble are going to have to end up in non-competitive or 1 year things and a lot of IMG/FMG folks are going to get squeezed out altogether this year. Expect this trend to continue for at least the next few years, as U.S. med schools continue to increase their enrollment and a few new schools open. Although there are still more spots than U.S. allo students, it's now pretty clear that if you aren't a star, you may well have to settle with what you can get over what you want. (No longer does this statement just apply to things like plastics and derm.)
Last edited:
If you can manage your #2 and #3, then you can come up short on #1. (of course #1 helps with the latter two). The "dirty little secret" of med school, as a mentor once told me, is that the first two years really don't count for much. I wouldn't downplay away (audition) rotation and strong LORs either.
I think things will get progressively tighter in the match from today on, as US med school numbers continue to increase and residency slots haven't, and likely won't. If you go to the NRMP website (or look at the data linked to threads in the gen residency board), you will see that the number of unfilled slots in even most mildly competitive fields was nil. That likely means a LOT of US allo folks who have to scramble are going to have to end up in non-competitive or 1 year things and a lot of IMG/FMG folks are going to get squeezed out altogether this year. Expect this trend to continue for at least the next few years, as US med schools continue to increase their enrollment and a few new schools open. Although there are still more spots than US allo students, it's now pretty clear that if you aren't a star, you may well have to settle with what you can get over what you want. (No longer does this statement just apply to things like plastics and derm.)
this scares the crap out of me...
this scares the crap out of me...
Yeah, it's why I've been saying in pre-allo for a while that if you are a premed scoffing at the idea of primary care and only want to do something like ortho or derm then maybe it's not such a good idea to launch into med school. The powers that be are endeavoring to have U.S. med schools fill all the U.S. needs (at the expense of FMGs/IMGs) and the corollary to that is that some U.S. med students are going to have to take that undesirable residency doing an undesirable specialty someplace they never really wanted to go. What we are seeing in the match is just the tiny start of this, I think. We will see if the trend continues.
This was a terrible year to try to scramble into anything. When I saw the figures for the numbers of places that totally filled this year, I was astounded. I surely hope that the scramblers were able to find something until next year, especially the ones who wanted to go into surgery. It's brutal if you don't match and this year, it was heartbreaking.
I heard there were 6 unfilled Gen Surg spots nationwide.
The consensus at my school was that only 2 people who didn't match really got screwed, the rest deserved it for being stupid.
I heard there were 6 unfilled Gen Surg spots nationwide.
The consensus at my school was that only 2 people who didn't match really got screwed, the rest deserved it for being stupid.
That's pretty much everywhere. Some people get "screwed" although it's likely due to some defect in their application (school performance, LOR, horrible interview).
and some are just dumb (rank 1 derm or ortho spot) based on what someone told them or they are just that narcissistic
So now I am a little confused (and scared). I thought the purpose of increasing the number of seats in US allopathic medical schools was to address the physician shortage that already exists and is going to grow. But if there is no concomitant increase in the number of residency spots, then how can this occur?
Because it's the primary care shortage that is being addressed - and there were plenty of FM residency positions unfilled this year.
Because it's the primary care shortage that is being addressed - and there were plenty of FM residency positions unfilled this year.
Off topic, but are there are plans in the future for making FM/Primary care less of a nightmare? It sounds like unmatched students will just be forced into these specialties for now. But it would be nice if these specialties were enticing enough that more people actually wanted to go into them.
So now I am a little confused (and scared). I thought the purpose of increasing the number of seats in US allopathic medical schools was to address the physician shortage that already exists and is going to grow. But if there is no concomitant increase in the number of residency spots, then how can this occur?
It obviously cannot occur. Erego, this was not the purpose of increasing the number of seats. The real reason was that, since 2005, the AAMC has been commenting that US med schools should completely provide for the US healthcare needs, and that nobody should be going overseas for school, where there is no LCME oversight. This goal is easilly accomplished by increasing US med school ranks and over time driving all non-US allo students out of the match.
It would be shortsighted to increase the residency seats due to an alleged physician shortage for the following reason. The physician shortage is caused almost exclusively by a very large and long-living baby boomer population. The generation behind the baby boomers is actually quite small. So it would not be useful to address a shortage now by creating a glut in a few years. Better to stand pat. So that's what we are doing.
I definitely did not attend. If given the choice I probably wouldn't go to my own match day when I'm a 4th year. It seems like a really archaic tradition to me. I'm a very private person and something about standing on a stage while I open an envelope that says where I will be for the next 3 years when the results may or may not make me happy - sounds AWFUL.
I would double check how UCI does this before you decide not to go. I went to my school's match ceremony today and, while everyone is called individually to get the envelope, everyone opens them at their respective tables after all names have been called.I definitely did not attend. If given the choice I probably wouldn't go to my own match day when I'm a 4th year. It seems like a really archaic tradition to me. I'm a very private person and something about standing on a stage while I open an envelope that says where I will be for the next 3 years when the results may or may not make me happy - sounds AWFUL.
I would double check how UCI does this before you decide not to go. I went to my school's match ceremony today and, while everyone is called individually to get the envelope, everyone opens them at their respective tables after all names have been called.
Well I definitely will go just because I wouldn't want to wait to find out - but I think having a ceremony for something like this is just weird. If they told me I could just have my envelope the morning of and go home and skip all the ridiculousness, I'd be the first in line for that option.
But at UCI you do open it on stage one at a time.
8
87138
Um no, then you might not match and have just everyone asking you "How on earth did YOU not match? With your scores, school performance and number of interviews... you were one of the school's top candidates." Good times.
I sincerely hope you're not talking about yourself. But if you are, I'm really sorry to hear that . . .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I definitely will go just because I wouldn't want to wait to find out - but I think having a ceremony for something like this is just weird. If they told me I could just have my envelope the morning of and go home and skip all the ridiculousness, I'd be the first in line for that option.
But at UCI you do open it on stage one at a time.
Wow, so everyone will get to see you cry, when you do not get your top choice! What a way to embarrass you one more time before school is out!

Well I definitely will go just because I wouldn't want to wait to find out - but I think having a ceremony for something like this is just weird. If they told me I could just have my envelope the morning of and go home and skip all the ridiculousness, I'd be the first in line for that option.
But at UCI you do open it on stage one at a time.
One person took their envelope and just left the podium without opening it. So... there are ways to avoid the publicity.
A lot of people are not wanting to do things that are needed because of lack of pay ...people will subspecialize in fields they think they can make money in and find less boring to deal with... Why should we have to turn to out of country folks when we can create our own physicians at home and fill those seats with our own graduates rather then FMGs. Sucks for the people wanting to move to this country but it is good for us as a nation in my opinion.
Why should people be forced into a specialty they don't like? We busted our asses to get into medschool and we're busting them to match. FMGs have to jump through a lot of hoops to train here, and if they want those PC slots so desperately, God bless them. I sure as hell hope I'm not shunted into something rural because of some sort of xenophobic/Good Ol' American Country Doc mentality.
Last edited:
I sincerely hope you're not talking about yourself. But if you are, I'm really sorry to hear that . . .
I am talking about myself. Extremely well qualified for ortho + 14 interviews (not saying that to be arrogant, it's just the from what I've been told several times over the last few days) with good feedback at each interview. No match. Scrambled into anesthesia. No one has any idea why I didn't match, and I talked to people at 3 programs and some family friends who could be brutally honest with me. The consensus is I "fell through the cracks of the NRMP."
I always agree with the warnings that are always so appropriate from L2D and since premeds would never know that in the class with 24 going into anesthesia and 14 into ortho, it would've been 23 into anesthesia and 15 into ortho.
Edit: Disclaimer: I'm beginning to be more OK with not doing ortho and doing anesthesia instead, but just goes to show you can be a top student, have everything going for you and still not match.
Last edited:
One person took their envelope and just left the podium without opening it. So... there are ways to avoid the publicity.
My school has a match ceremony but anyone who is too nervous/private to open their envelope in front of the whole crowd is given the option ahead of time to not participate - they just get their envelope from the administrative offices that day and open it in private or they wait for the email. Probably 5 or so people per year choose this.
Why should people be forced into a specialty they don't like? We busted our asses to get into medschool and we're busting them to match. ...I sure as hell hope I'm not shunted into something rural because of some sort of xenophobic/Good Ol' American Country Doc mentality.
It's still the same kind of logic as: not everybody gets to be a doctor, only the better half of applicants will get into med school. So now the hurdles are increased and not only will not everybody get to be a doctor, but of those who get to be a doctor, not everybody gets to match in a specialty or geographically desirable location. The game is the same, the hurdles are raised. You still have choices -- nobody forces you into anything. It's just that if you aren't a star, you might not get to be an orthopod or work in a city. So you have to factor that into your analysis of whether you want to go to med school at all. The LCME likes it because they end up having oversight over the training of everybody who is going to practice here. The folks who previously had to go overseas benefit because there are more seats here. The losers are the cottage industry of caribbean schools, the small community hospitals who utilized their labor as 3rd year rotations, and folks trying to come here from abroad.
But there really isn't any reason why U.S. college grads should be going overseas for their education only to be imported back. better to educate them here if they are going to end up at the same end point. I don't think that's xenophobic at all. It's common sense. Cut out the middleman and get your oversight/control over the training back.
I'm a 3rd yr and I'm excited yet absolutely terrified of when that moment will come next yr.
8
87138
I am talking about myself. Extremely well qualified for ortho + 14 interviews (not saying that to be arrogant, it's just the from what I've been told several times over the last few days) with good feedback at each interview. No match. Scrambled into anesthesia. No one has any idea why I didn't match, and I talked to people at 3 programs and some family friends who could be brutally honest with me. The consensus is I "fell through the cracks of the NRMP."
I always agree with the warnings that are always so appropriate from L2D and since premeds would never know that in the class with 24 going into anesthesia and 14 into ortho, it would've been 23 into anesthesia and 15 into ortho.
Edit: Disclaimer: I'm beginning to be more OK with not doing ortho and doing anesthesia instead, but just goes to show you can be a top student, have everything going for you and still not match.
Damn. Well anything I say will sound trite and probably isn't anything you haven't heard 20 times in the past 4-5 days, but that really sucks. That's great that you were at least able to scramble into Anesthesiology, and hopefully it's at a place you're cool with.
This is the kind of thing that worries me. I'm still a ways off from matching (very interested in ortho at this point [isn't everyone?] but that could surely change), but no matter how well I'm doing I always have it in the back of my mind that when it comes to trying to match into something I want, there are so many variables involved.
You and me both 😱 I've heard of multiple people with 250+ step 1 getting 11-16 interviews in radiology and not matching. Add to that the fact that I didn't get close to a 250 and will be couples matching and I'm terrified.I'm a 3rd yr and I'm excited yet absolutely terrified of when that moment will come next yr.
Ashers, I am so, so sorry to hear about ortho. Congrats on scrambling into anesthesia (which I hear was tough to do), and I sincerely hope it works out for you in the long run. I believe everything happens for a reason or, at the very least, people make the best of whatever situation they're in. Best of luck.
I am talking about myself. Extremely well qualified for ortho + 14 interviews (not saying that to be arrogant, it's just the from what I've been told several times over the last few days) with good feedback at each interview. No match. Scrambled into anesthesia. No one has any idea why I didn't match, and I talked to people at 3 programs and some family friends who could be brutally honest with me. The consensus is I "fell through the cracks of the NRMP."
I always agree with the warnings that are always so appropriate from L2D and since premeds would never know that in the class with 24 going into anesthesia and 14 into ortho, it would've been 23 into anesthesia and 15 into ortho.
Edit: Disclaimer: I'm beginning to be more OK with not doing ortho and doing anesthesia instead, but just goes to show you can be a top student, have everything going for you and still not match.
Can you tell us how you were able to scramble into Anesthesia? Isn't that a really competitive residency? Just curious how it actually went - ws it at your home school, or did someone have a connection, or were you trying to scramble into other residencies, too? Congrats on it, by the way.
Anything about the 14 interviews (schools) you can reveal, like the perceived competitiveness of them - desired location - did you turn down any interviews you wish you had taken? Did you interview at a broad range of programs?
Finally, did you rank all 14 interview schools?
Thanks for sharing - it is really instructive for those of us who will follow in the years to come.
Ashers, I am so, so sorry to hear about ortho. Congrats on scrambling into anesthesia (which I hear was tough to do), and I sincerely hope it works out for you in the long run. I believe everything happens for a reason or, at the very least, people make the best of whatever situation they're in. Best of luck.
Thanks, it's going to be for the best; it still stings, especially every time it was brought up yesterday, and my good friends going into ortho wanted to know exactly what happened.
Can you tell us how you were able to scramble into Anesthesia? Isn't that a really competitive residency? Just curious how it actually went - ws it at your home school, or did someone have a connection, or were you trying to scramble into other residencies, too? Congrats on it, by the way.
Anything about the 14 interviews (schools) you can reveal, like the perceived competitiveness of them - desired location - did you turn down any interviews you wish you had taken? Did you interview at a broad range of programs?
Finally, did you rank all 14 interview schools?
Thanks for sharing - it is really instructive for those of us who will follow in the years to come.
Ok, so I really didn't want to answer this, since it was so blunt and like "Well, you just didn't get your life goal. Tell us why so we benefit from your misery." With seemingly no consideration given as to "she just didn't match into what she's wanted to do for who knows how long, I bet she feels absolutely terrible, and has already explained this 2000 times in the last 4 days," but I did bring it upon myself by posting the stuff, and I had originally only posted what I wanted to. I'll add a little bit, but I'm not going to add a everything you want.
Anesthesia was the only other rotation I enjoyed M3 year, and would've considered it more highly if my best day on the rotation wasn't spent scrubbed into ortho cases after intubating.
Technically 13 interviews, 20 offers. Ranked 14 (my home school's sub-I counted as an interview). Some had conflicting dates, I picked the ones I liked more. 13 interviews was a lot. I'm glad I didn't do more. Programs were all over the country (East to West, North to South). Some of the top 10 academic programs, some small community programs.
N
njbmd
Wow, so everyone will get to see you cry, when you do not get your top choice! What a way to embarrass you one more time before school is out!![]()
Plenty of people cry for joy because they get what they want. (Nothing wrong with that as it's a great achievement). You can always check the computer rather than open the letter if you want. It's really not a big deal.
Some of us cracked open a bottle of champagne because we were very happy with our match.
I'd rather match in a field I wanted to match in and at a place that may not necessarily be top choice then not match at all or have to scramble into a different field then my top choice.
Think about which embarrassment is worse!!! That puts things into perspective. But I venture that most people who match and don't have to scramble have generally matched into a top 3 position from what I've seen with those I know personally and from what I've heard from different people about the match process.
But I do agree that it would be simpler to just get the envelope and go home. Sometimes I think the culture of medicine has too much pomp and circumstance and ceremony for everything.
There is NO embarassment in not matching. Most Americans manage to scramble into a prelim slot somewhere (or enter research) and the re-enter the match the next year. The three students at my medical school this year were scrambled into prelim surgery and medicine slots within 20 minutes of the scramble opening. Three programs called my office looking for people to fill their prelim surgery programs (we only had three unmatched and two were matched into their PGY-2 programs anyway and only needed one year).
Thanks, it's going to be for the best; it still stings, especially every time it was brought up yesterday, and my good friends going into ortho wanted to know exactly what happened.
Ok, so I really didn't want to answer this, since it was so blunt and like "Well, you just didn't get your life goal. Tell us why so we benefit from your misery." With seemingly no consideration given as to "she just didn't match into what she's wanted to do for who knows how long, I bet she feels absolutely terrible, and has already explained this 2000 times in the last 4 days," but I did bring it upon myself by posting the stuff, and I had originally only posted what I wanted to. I'll add a little bit, but I'm not going to add a everything you want.
Anesthesia was the only other rotation I enjoyed M3 year, and would've considered it more highly if my best day on the rotation wasn't spent scrubbed into ortho cases after intubating.
Technically 13 interviews, 20 offers. Ranked 14 (my home school's sub-I counted as an interview). Some had conflicting dates, I picked the ones I liked more. 13 interviews was a lot. I'm glad I didn't do more. Programs were all over the country (East to West, North to South). Some of the top 10 academic programs, some small community programs.
Do you think the stereotype of jock men in orthopedic surgery hurt you? I could see them being dismissive of a woman.
Ok, so I really didn't want to answer this, since it was so blunt and like "Well, you just didn't get your life goal. Tell us why so we benefit from your misery." With seemingly no consideration given as to "she just didn't match into what she's wanted to do for who knows how long, I bet she feels absolutely terrible, and has already explained this 2000 times in the last 4 days,"
I really don't think you needed to answer those questions - that was very insensitive of the prior poster. I'm sorry you've had such a tough week.
Do you think the stereotype of jock men in orthopedic surgery hurt you? I could see them being dismissive of a woman.
At some programs, sure. I did not apply to those programs. At some of the programs where I applied, it is a bonus. The ortho academy is trying to increase the number of females in the profession.
I really don't think you needed to answer those questions - that was very insensitive of the prior poster. I'm sorry you've had such a tough week.
Thanks, I was trying to avoid turning this thread into something about me. I was just originally saying stuff as an example of njbmd's original post that this year was weird for the match, especially for surgery and its subspecialties.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's still the same kind of logic as: not everybody gets to be a doctor, only the better half of applicants will get into med school...The losers are the cottage industry of caribbean schools, the small community hospitals who utilized their labor as 3rd year rotations, and folks trying to come here from abroad.
Ok, I overreacted a bit. I agree with most of your post. I just have a nightmare where I'm an FP in a rural area. 😳 (no offense to ppl who want that).
I do know some FMGs, and it seems a bit harsh to edge them out. Some of the FMGs are a hell of a lot brighter and better than some who are American-born. And if they want FP slots badly enough to jump through all the hoops...
I'm not saying a person can't get a spot via scramble or reapplying to the NRMP for residency. I'm just saying that what would be a worse situation to be in? To not match into your desired field of medicine at all and have to take something that you'd consider a nightmare? i.e. think someone like Pandabear MD before he reapplied the second time around. Had to take FP and was utterly miserable for a year before he lucked out in the match process second time around. What would be worse? Something like that? Or not getting top choice in terms of location? Seeing that I was under the assumption by top choice, the person was referring to residency program location and not top choice in terms of field vs. being forced to scramble into something that you don't want to do.
Also, since you brought up the issue of reapplying for match as some have had to do, do people in situations like Ashers and like PandabearMD was in often reapply if they don't want to be in another field where they had to scramble into but which was not their field choice? Or do most just move on and take what they can get? I asked this in the last post too. I'm just curious now that I'm reading this thread. This year was definitely the first year I knew a lot of the grads receiving decisions more personally.
You can always reapply but then you have the problem of explaining what youve been doing for a year to a residency director. Some people solve this problem by scrambling into a transitional year and then reapplying. That way, at least theve been doing medicine for a year. Others do research (unpaid)but i dont know if this will really enhance your application the second time around.
I think for the most part, people will scramble into what they can get and not worry about the uncertanty of the extra year. Oh, and your student loans go into repayment if you do dont start residency so that may be a factor to think about too. On a personal note, i have a friend who did a year of research followed by a TY. Now finally, 2 years after graduating, he matched surgery. Talk about perceverance.
I totally agree that it is not xenophobia...why would any other developed nation take our citizens if they could train their own physicians in their own home country?
There are a lot of steps FMGs (not talking about Caribbean schools) go through to be qualified here. They have to take the boards like anyone else, so it's not like they aren't qualified. People emigrate for different reasons. Why shouldn't you want to change countries? If you liked another country and you were willing to get re-certified and then take spots that the citizens didn't want (hint FP) why the hell not?
It's like not wanting to be treated by a doctor trained in Europe or something. I just don't get where you all are coming from.
Why shunt US med students towards primary care when there are other people who are willing to do it just as well?
T... They have to take the boards like anyone else, so it's not like they aren't qualified....
This is the misstatement in your post. The boards aren't a gauge of quality. They set a minimum. Most people agree that these test very little as to what is actually required, and are only meant to be a very minimum set of standards, not something you can point to and say you are "qualified". (In fact, the boards are going to be shuffled around in a few years in part to not play as much of a role in residency selection, because they were never meant to demonstrate quality, aptitude etc. The LCME requires a TON of other things to happen during U.S. med school for you to graduate "qualified", and folks trained under other systems may or may not have all of these components. So yes, I would say that there are folks who pass the boards and can still be very unqualified. You have to look at what the board is meant to do (create a set of "minimum standards", a floor, upon which other requirements are built), not assume it is an adequate measuring stick of qualification.
...do people in situations like Ashers and like PandabearMD was in often reapply if they don't want to be in another field where they had to scramble into but which was not their field choice? Or do most just move on and take what they can get? I asked this in the last post too. I'm just curious now that I'm reading this thread. This year was definitely the first year I knew a lot of the grads receiving decisions more personally.
If you don't match, I think you basically have the following options: (1) scramble into a categorical (multiple year) position, (2) scramble into a preliminary or transitional (one year) position and reapply to ERAS next year, (3) spend a year doing research and reapply to the match the following year, (4) spend a year doing research and prematch into something that opens up. With the increase in enrollment of U.S. students and this being one of the more popular matches in recent history, a lot of people had to scramble this year. 93% of U.S. students matched as compared to the 94.2 last year. I'd expect this trend to continue for a few more years.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 864