Match Day 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Class of 2021!! :partyblob::clap::soexcited:

Please post your matched program and anything else you would like to share as 4th years and soon to be PGY-1 Resident Physician.
I will post the stats once they are available but feel free to post anything about your school (i.e., %matched).

It feels like yesterday when, as newly accepted students, we started Pod med school, and here we are 4 years later.
I hope everyone can take a small break and enjoy their achievements with friends and family. Stay safe, and congrats again!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I ranked like 4 programs, so if I don’t get those I’d be happy with the scramble. Gl to you guys.

Edit:

# of Programs Applied: 15

# of Programs Ranked: 4

# of Interviews Attended: 13

Name of Matched Program: Matched w/ MPII

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
# of Programs Applied:

# of Programs Ranked:

# of Interviews Attended:

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in):

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
# of Programs Applied: 6

# of interviews attended: 4

# of programs ranked: 2

Name of Matched Program: TBD, but I already know.

Reactions: 2 users
Stud muffin over here.

Think I'm just lowkey jealous of your stats to be able to get away with so few haha.

Best of luck!
I think I just got lucky and really clicked with the program I’m going to during my externship. Personality fit perfectly, was able to do some skin to skin procedures with some of the attendings so they could see what I could do, and the externship month was in October. The reason for so few was I went to a few of the “top” programs and absolutely hated them. I only interviewed at the 4 places I could really see myself going. Once I got the call from my top choice post-interview I ranked it and one other program that I really loved too just in case.

I actually did not have the program I am going to as an externship. I picked it up in place of a month that got cancelled due to COVID. Pretty crazy.

I think I just got lucky and really clicked with the program I’m going to during my externship. Personality fit perfectly, was able to do some skin to skin procedures with some of the attendings so they could see what I could do, and the externship month was in October. The reason for so few was I went to a few of the “top” programs and absolutely hated them. I only interviewed at the 4 places I could really see myself going. Once I got the call from my top choice post-interview I ranked it and one other program that I really loved too just in case.

I actually did not have the program I am going to as an externship. I picked it up in place of a month that got cancelled due to COVID. Pretty crazy.
Amen to that.

One of the places I ranked 1 was during December...boards and interview prep.
I was questioning why I even signed up for it. Even the attendings there were wondering why I was there. Almost middle of now where program, no one knew about it. Most kids only went there cause it was close to their homes.

Tons of surgery. Extremely competent clinic running. Residents and Attendings had a great relationship. Loved it.

Definitely know how you feel in terms of "top programs" having a certain characteristic they're fishing or advertising for..

Last edited:
What are the kids considering top programs these days? In my day UPMC, west penn, swedish, Inova, one or two of the kaisers.

Hint:. There are tons of unknown great programs out there. Just don't go to the ones that are known to be terrible and scramble all the time.

Also congrats to all. It gets better. The real world is fun. Residency is a time to learn and grow. Hopefully you don't have attendings who take advantage nfo you and abuse the system. Be an attending to help train, not use.

Reactions: 7 users
What are the kids considering top programs these days? In my day UPMC, west penn, swedish, Inova, one or two of the kaisers.

Hint:. There are tons of unknown great programs out there. Just don't go to the ones that are known to be terrible and scramble all the time.

Also congrats to all. It gets better. The real world is fun. Residency is a time to learn and grow. Hopefully you don't have attendings who take advantage nfo you and abuse the system. Be an attending to help train, not use.
Pretty much + Medstar, East Orlando, JPS, and Grant.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much + Medstar, East Orlando, JPS, and Grant.
Grant is good, I externed there. I think Kent in RI should be up there too if grant is. I didn’t rank either but I think Kent is underrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
# of Programs Applied: 18

# of Programs Ranked: 7

# of Interviews Attended: 11

Name of Matched Program: no idea (well...kind of) but I matched somewhere lol. Wife and I are pretty relieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Congrats everyone!

Can't wait to read y'all review of programs that you externed at :D :D

• Care
Congrats to all. For those that didn't, if it makes you feel better I am seeing MDs on Twitter who didn't match.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

# of Programs Ranked: 8

# of Interviews Attended: 10

Name of matched program: Not sure yet will update- but matched and I think I may know. So excited for Friday.

• Love
# of Programs Applied: 5

# of Programs Ranked: 5

# of Interviews Attended: 5

Name of matched program: hoping it’s my number one that I matched with! 🤞

Early numbers:

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 5.12.24 PM.png

# of Programs Ranked: 6

# of Interviews Attended: 9

Name of matched program: Somewhere in Western PA

# of Interviews Attended: 6

Matched at #1 choice in New England area.

# of Programs Applied: 8

# of Interviews Attended: 6

Name of matched program: Texas

To all the students entering clerkships : be engaged, be helpful, be on time, be normal - it will take you very far!
Congrats to everyone in Class of 2021 as well!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
can someone post the scramble list from the programs this year? Or link?

Hello Everyone. Can I have a question about match in podiatry ? if I'm not confident about matching in program that I want, will it be ok if I apply for more than 18 programs next year ? I'm a foreigner medical graduate who just joined the podiatric school recently. Thank you so much

Hello Everyone. Can I have a question about match in podiatry ? if I'm not confident about matching in program that I want, will it be ok if I apply for more than 18 programs next year ? I'm a foreigner medical graduate who just joined the podiatric school recently. Thank you so much

I think that's a bit much. Regardless of your background, do your best during externships/clerkships and choose 8-12 programs of your choice.
You will know more about your chances of matching at a particular program during the externship months.

Quality over quantity.
If you're that worried, focus on what you need to improve for in person clerkships.

Better than shotgunning 18 places, doing interviews at places you know nothing about, and matching randomly.

Don't focus on playing the numbers game. Focus on improving yourself first so you can be competent during clerkships to pick a program you're interested in.