match day format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irlandesa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I have been reading on the peds forum that a decent # of schools have people go up in front of the whole class to read where they matched on Match Day, and was just wondering if anyone knew if this was the standard match day format? If so, I am really NOT comfortable with going up in front of the whole class, especially if I end up being a bit disappointed (I'm a lousy actress!). I know, I know, I'm not supposed to be disappointed if I go to the bottom of my list, but I know I will be a little bit though I liked the program.. Plus, it would be really awkward b/c I'm not tight with the Dean and most of my classmates. If I end up not attending Match Day, how will I be able to find out the results? thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

that is definately not the standard. at our school you get your envelope at 11AM and then you can go whereever you want. You are not supposed to open it until 12 but you can do that anywhere.

You don't even have to go to your school's match day. :) You can find your match online at 1PM EST March 17th.

irlandesa said:
hi, I have been reading on the peds forum that a decent # of schools have people go up in front of the whole class to read where they matched on Match Day, and was just wondering if anyone knew if this was the standard match day format? If so, I am really NOT comfortable with going up in front of the whole class, especially if I end up being a bit disappointed (I'm a lousy actress!). I know, I know, I'm not supposed to be disappointed if I go to the bottom of my list, but I know I will be a little bit though I liked the program.. Plus, it would be really awkward b/c I'm not tight with the Dean and most of my classmates. If I end up not attending Match Day, how will I be able to find out the results? thanks in advance..

I'm so happy to hear that there's another person who feels like this about match day! my school does this big stupid ceremony and I have absolutely NO desire to go whatsoever. Especially because the administration of my school has been nothing but a stone wall to me for the vast majority of my time in medical school. And now they want me to show up to "celebrate" with them. NFW. I will be looking up my results comfortably at home. It's no one else's business where I matched anyway - in fact, I'm thinking of withholding my name from the published list of where people matched if this is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
irlandesa said:

dont worry..at tufts, they just hand you your envelop up on the 8th floor room and you just gather with your friends or where you are comfortable and open it up. There are lots of snacks and wine too. so I encourage you to go and to enjoy yourself.

We have some stupid convocation with "distinguished members of the faculty" speaking to us. I'll likely vomit in their general direction.

But afterwards, in true Jefferson tradition, lots of beer and wine. Lots. Man, our school probably has too many institution-sponsored drinking parties. They probably think it's just a sophisticated atmosphere... until half of us get hammered... I mean, free pregaming before we go out!

Were we supposed to grow up for medical school? Hah... suckers...

We thankfully get to plan the whole things ourselves. Out class decided to get together at our local NBA arena banquet facility have a little of the bubbly and then we form four lines and the envelopes are passed out...

that evening we are throwing down at Pat O'Briens in true St. Pat's day tradition... Hopefully the process brings good news and gets everyone excited!

hey, I feel much better now, thanks to all.. As far as the EtOH, with Match Day being March 17th, I am 1/2+ Irish and have a big excuse to consume ridiculous quantities of the substance regardless of the outcome:p seriously, I completely agree with the posters who don't particularly welcome the Deans' congratulations. I ended up applying to 25 programs b/c of one Dean's advice on what a marginal candidate I was, and ended up having to spend quite a bit of time cancelling and rescheduling an excessive # of interviews. I could have spent this time preparing better for Step 2, going out, etc. That is just one example, but I will attempt to not hurl in their general direction (looks like Jeff student and I have somewhat similar taste in movies) on Match Day. When I thought of it in a more rational manner, I pretty much knew my school wouldn't take the time to hand out envelopes individually to 170+ people. I still don't know whether I'll go or not; I can only hope that most people will be gracious enough to simply say "congratulations" and not crap upon the place I matched. I know I sound paranoid, but there are a few tools in every med school, and Tufts is certainly no exception. best, ireland.

Could be worse. Since I go to a DO school, we are all spread over the country for our rotations. I will just wait until I get the E-mail or can check on line then I will have to wait until that evening to call my family and friends and let them know where I am going. Otherwise, I will just continue on that day with my rotation.

Does anyone know, for those of us who don't get letters from our school, do we just wait and get an E-mail sent to us, or do we have to go to ERAS to find out where we are going?

dkwyler94 said:
Could be worse. Since I go to a DO school, we are all spread over the country for our rotations. I will just wait until I get the E-mail or can check on line then I will have to wait until that evening to call my family and friends and let them know where I am going. Otherwise, I will just continue on that day with my rotation.

Does anyone know, for those of us who don't get letters from our school, do we just wait and get an E-mail sent to us, or do we have to go to ERAS to find out where we are going?

You can check on the NRMP website at 1pm EST. I think they'll eventually email you, but I understand it's best to just log on.
I'm an IMG and am having a little brunch party at my house with friends to get nervous / congratulate / commiserate with me and my family before I bring out the ol' laptop and wait for my slow dial-up service to log me on. I can just imagine our disappointment when the NRMP server ends up being down at 1pmEST with all the activity and I'll have to spend several more hours not knowing.
Man... it's killing me!