Match Day Phone Calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So I heard from some residents on my current rotation that PD like to call everybody who matched into their program on the evening of match day.

Is this true in all specialties? Do the PDs expect anyone to be sober? Any thoughts on whether it would be worse to answer the phone drunk or to not answer a phone call from your new PD?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a psych residency (8 positions/year) so my PD did call mid-afternoon to congratulate and welcome me. However, my roommate applying to IM received no call but of course his class size is much bigger so it's program dependent.

I think PDs will understand if you miss a phone call; there are any number of reasons you wouldn't be answering on match day (having dinner with the parents, out celebrating with classmates, etc), and there's nothing that couldn't wait for a call-back on the following Monday.

No call from my program last year when I matched. Did get a generic e-mail later that day though.

Survivor DO

I had an email with class roster within an hour of match and then a phone call in the evening- the program is large with more than 30 residents in the class

At any point should I worry that my contact information may be wrong? Two days since match day and I haven't heard anything from my program?

.. i was balling my eyes out with my head buried under a pillow when my PD called (b/c i got my third choice - which i have now come to terms with haha) hahaha.. he called like 10 mins after match was posted what did he expect :( ... i sounded completely congested on the phone and told him that i had many tears of joy... he was elated to hear it :eek:
awesome start :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
At any point should I worry that my contact information may be wrong? Two days since match day and I haven't heard anything from my program?

I haven't been contacted either. I've been having the same thoughts.

If June 1 rolls around and you still haven't heard from them, perhaps a little phone call is in order. Until then, chill.

If June 1 rolls around and you still haven't heard from them, perhaps a little phone call is in order. Until then, chill.

really that long? isnt there a lot of paper work to do to get things like training license etc?

.. i was balling my eyes out with my head buried under a pillow when my PD called (b/c i got my third choice - which i have now come to terms with haha) hahaha.. he called like 10 mins after match was posted what did he expect :( ... i sounded completely congested on the phone and told him that i had many tears of joy... he was elated to hear it :eek:
awesome start :thumbup:

"I matched in my top 3. Whiiiinnnneeeee."

First-world medical student problems...:laugh:

My PD called within an hour of me matching. Glad I wasn't too drunk lol. Our class is 17.

hey it was just supposed to be a funny comment -- relax the shock of the moment just got to me -- not the point of the post.
but ure right , first world problems for sure haha