Match Day thread 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time for the annual thread. On Thursday you can post about where you matched....Until then you can post about whatever you want, but if there's too much random conversation I'll move it to the "random" thread to keep this easier for matchees to communicate.

A couple of thoughts from a veteran of the 1982 match:

1. Although pedi isn't generally competitive, not everyone or even close to everyone gets their first choice. If you don't, in my personal experience (I didn't get my #1) and that of many I've known, the overwhelming likelihood is that you'll have a great residency. But it isn't fun to not get #1, so be nice and if you need some sympathy for getting Boston Children's when you'd expected to get CHOP (or vice versa), well...we'll try to provide it. ;)

2. There are a lot of lurkers out there. This is your chance to meet your future colleagues early. So, please join and post. If you just have to, then make up a new username but please post and tell us where you matched to so others can PM you and introduce themselves. This is your chance to really use SDN...so please do so. If you are a current or recent resident at one of the programs, then please post so the folks who matched can contact you.

3. Finally, as I have in past years, if you post here where you matched, and you matched at the institution I am at, I will send you a PM (Assuming I don't otherwise know you) and introduce myself with name and email. Not long ago, one of the residents on my service commented that I was the first person he'd heard from after matching.:p

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

2. There are a lot of lurkers out there. This is your chance to meet your future colleagues early. So, please join and post. If you just have to, then make up a new username but please post and tell us where you matched to so others can PM you and introduce themselves. This is your chance to really use SDN...so please do so. If you are a current or recent resident at one of the programs, then please post so the folks who matched can contact you.

Good luck!

Just a quick question...will programs send us a list of the names/emails of our future intern class soon after the Match?

:luck::luck::luck: 4tomorrow everyone :)

Just a quick question...will programs send us a list of the names/emails of our future intern class soon after the Match?

:luck::luck::luck: 4tomorrow everyone :)

I hope so. It will be nice to know who we will be spending the next 3 years with!

Good luck everyone! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, most programs send out a list of your interns. Our program sends out an email on match day (or early the next day ) with all of the interns name and information so you can start contacting each other :) HAVE FUN TOMORROW!

I know this is supposed to be an exciting day, but is the reality of this all making anyone else a little ill? Like that feeling when you crest over the top of a hill on a roller coaster? I just hope the ride doesn't make me sick!

Good luck, everyone!

OBP, I'll call and raise you 500 on that!

I know this is supposed to be an exciting day, but is the reality of this all making anyone else a little ill? Like that feeling when you crest over the top of a hill on a roller coaster? I just hope the ride doesn't make me sick!

Good luck, everyone!
I believe I used precisely that analogy to describe my state of mind recently. :laugh:

I'm actually really nervous/excited about tomorrow...I can't believe it's already Match day and yet at the same time it seems like this day took forever to get here. Good luck everyone!

Good luck, everyone!

I feel that way exactly! In fact, it's 1:50AM, I can't sleep and am just a jumble of nerves. :scared:

I cant wait to see where all of the fellow SDN people are headed!

< 12 hrs to go...

I predict 55 posts and 2375 views

I know where I'm going (hey, I ranked 1 place...it's not hard to figure out), but I'm still SO DAMN EXCITED.

Let me list the reasons I'm so very excited.
1) I'm post-call. Not only am I post-call, but I actually got 7 hours of sleep (only woken up with 2 pages...that were appropriate and I was glad to get them). So I'm not going to be a zombie for the Match Day activities. Awesome.
2) I can actually go to the Match Day activities.
3) I only have 1 trauma call left ever in my life. This may be the most awesome thing ever.
4) I have under 20 surgery calls left ever in my life.
5) I'm going to have time to go to the gym today.

Good luck today everyone! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And to echo what OBP said, my husband did not get his first choice place for his peds residency. I don't think he could possibly be any happier in his training program. He loves his training, he loves his fellow residents, and it's been so great for him. Even if you don't get your first choice, it's still going to be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know where I'm going (hey, I ranked 1 place...it's not hard to figure out), but I'm still SO DAMN EXCITED.

Happy Match Day everyone! I think that all those who are matched who only ranked one place should post where they matched an hour before the match results are released. This should drive folks crazy. :smuggrin:

I've been trying to remember how the scramble worked in my day. I'm certain it wasn't "organized" like it is now. I think you got a call the day before the match and were told you didn't match, but I don't remember how you knew where to scramble or what was done exactly. If anyone here remembers (unlikely..) or has a family member who really recalls, I'd be interested in hearing it. There was definitely no couple's match back then. Of course, we only had one couple in my class. :rolleyes:

Well, here's rooting for you. If you get number one, you can cheer immediately, if not, take 10 seconds to be p.o.'d forever at that institution and celebrate the one who wanted you! Welcome to pediatric residency. BTW, you're on call in the NICU on July 1. See you there....

Sweet Tea, where did you match? Please do us the honor of being the first to post where. I am excited as hell, and will gladly jump up and down to share in your excitement too! Congratulations! :)

Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Norfolk, VA. :D :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap:

I can't even begin to describe how happy I am about this program and my future in peds. It's awesome. Needless to say, I'm much happier than I was on Match Day 2007! :laugh: But it all worked out in the end.

OK, well if SweetTea can admit to ranking one program, so can I....

In July, I will be a 'tern at Baylor College of Medicine's Pediatrics Program!!! :D:love::D

Good luck to everyone else!! Can't wait to come back and read the good news on this thread later!:D

Congratulations Sweet Tea and Marigold! Hip hip hurray!:clap:

Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Norfolk, VA. :D :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap:

I can't even begin to describe how happy I am about this program and my future in peds. It's awesome. Needless to say, I'm much happier than I was on Match Day 2007! :laugh: But it all worked out in the end.

Sweet Tea - I ranked CHKD top 3 and would be thrilled if I were to join you, though I'm not expecting it since I had a relatively crappy interview. But I'm sure you'll love it there. :)

Just a few hours left...aaaah. :eek:

OK, well if SweetTea can admit to ranking one program, so can I....

In July, I will be a 'tern at Baylor College of Medicine's Pediatrics Program!!! :D:love::D

Good luck to everyone else!! Can't wait to come back and read the good news on this thread later!:D

MARIGOLD IS AWESOME.

Well, we all knew she was awesome even before Match Day but it bears repeating. :D Congrats! Can't wait to hear everyone else's Matches!

Sweet Tea - I ranked CHKD top 3 and would be thrilled if I were to join you, though I'm not expecting it since I had a relatively crappy interview. But I'm sure you'll love it there. :)

Just a few hours left...aaaah. :eek:

Awesome! Can't wait to hear if you'll be a classmate of mine! :D

Childrens Memorial Hospital/Northwestern
Anyone else?

:DBAYLOR!:D

time to go celebrate! my best to all!

University of Maryland! :)

University of Massachusetts, hurray !!! :-D

UT-Memphis for me...anyone else?

UTSW Children's Medical Center

Maimonides. I'm absolutely freaking out, I never thought I'd actually get to live in NYC. :eek::D Pretty much been in shock the last 2 hours.

San Diego, I am so excited for sunshine:)

University of North Carolina!!! :)

Children's Memorial Hospital/Northwestern for me too! See you there, TheFriedert!

Another Baylor intern here! :hardy:

wake forest. i'm very excited as I get to live in the same state a my wife again after a year apart. yay!

Three from my school (including me!) matched at Baylor. Congrats all.

St. Louis Childrens! Back to the alma mater!

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill!!! :D
Zeke, I think I met you along the interview trail...Cinci and Indiana...remember?? How funny that we are interns together!!

Congrats everyone!!

So excited - got my #1 choice!!! I will be doing pediatrics on the beach :D in St. Petersburg at the University of South Florida!!!

Congrats everyone!!! :hardy:

Yeeeeeeehaw!! UC Irvine, baby!! My #1!!!! I'm so excited for everyone!!!!

:love::love::love::love:

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill!!! :D
Zeke, I think I met you along the interview trail...Cinci and Indiana...remember?? How funny that we are interns together!!

Congrats everyone!!

Hey! I realized that when they sent out the list of incoming interns. There's 3 other interns that I interviewed with also. Small world. See you in June! :D

Cincinatti Children's Hospital :D

Please post and PM me if you're going there :thumbup:

I'm so thrilled to be moving to Milwaukee to be an intern at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin!

Cincinnati Children's :)

better take note ;) 3 'N's, one 'T'

Congrats everyone and hello fellow interns.