Match dermatology as a DO

Started by premed1726
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premed1726

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How hard is it to match into dermatology as a DO student? What should I do to increase my chances?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's possible, but you will need to be excellent.

I know 3 people who matcher derm:
First one matched MD, 260s step scores on both, rotated at the place and they like them and took them. They were top 5 in their med school class.
Second one had 250/260s USMLE. Also matched MD. Had 20 publications. Also top 5 in their class.
Third one had a 240s Step 1, but a 270s Step 2. 700/900s on COMLEX 1/2. 15 publications and number 1 in their class. They matched to a DO program.

You see the trend.
 
Thank you everyone! I'm going to get involved in research soon, does this need to be related to dermatology? I think it might be hard to find derm-related research but I will try my best.
 
Yes, do your best to get meaningful derm related research. Something peripherally related is maybe ok, but get as close to derm relevant as possible.

I'm at an allopathic program and we've had a DO resident come through not long ago who was/is spectacular. I believe we interviewed a few DO applicants last year. Typically, once people get an interview here, they are on a relatively level playing field so to speak.
 
Thank you everyone! I'm going to get involved in research soon, does this need to be related to dermatology? I think it might be hard to find derm-related research but I will try my best.
Students routinely participate in a year devoted entirely to derm research in order to match.
 
Last edited:
At the risk of reviving a zombie thread, my best recommendation would be to identify a mentor early. Look for a program faculty or program director who is a DO early on and camped out at their door. That is how I got my spot almost 20 years ago.