match for PGY1

Started by balako
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

balako

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I interviewed at 2 places and got matched. The program is not integrated and I have to find prelim on my own. Unfortunately I interviewed at only 2 places for prelim. What are my chances of matching for prelim(PGY1) and how can I improve them?
Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
balako
 
balako said:
Hi,
I interviewed at 2 places and got matched. The program is not integrated and I have to find prelim on my own. Unfortunately I interviewed at only 2 places for prelim. What are my chances of matching for prelim(PGY1) and how can I improve them?
Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
balako


You can try to scrambele into a position. They'll be ton of open PGY-1 prelim spots. A lot of people end up scrambling into them when they don't match in their desired fields.
 
It's hard to gauge your chances for matching in a prelim spot- I don't know how competitive those programs are. However, you should write a letter of intent to both programs, and definitely mention that you matched at [INSERT PROGRAM] for neurology. Programs tend to look more favorably on applicants who have already secured residencies. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
definitely try the local programs where you will be doing neuro. and ask your neuro program if they can give you a letter of support
 
I have a similar question regarding the ease with which I could find a PGY1 program. I am an IMG with visa issues, though I hope to use my work authorization document for a year, which should take care of the visa requirement. I didn't get any PGY1 interviews, and now I am trying to figure out the possibility of scrambling with a PGY1 position. How tough is that going to be? And what sort of preparation I should have done to quickly reach the programs during the scramble?

Is there a way to ask the programs for interview even now this late in the season? Any replies/ leads will help in a big way.
 
Is there a way to ask the programs for interview even now this late in the season? Any replies/ leads will help in a big way.[/QUOTE]

It's never too late to ask for an interview. It's barely Februrary. I spoke with the internal medicine dept. at one school whose neuro program doesn't guarantee PGY1 and they were happy to interview anyone who interviewed there for neuro, even outside the regular interview season. I would call pronto. Good luck.
 
Hey there,

I have a bit of a dillemma here...I matched at an institution where the PGY1 is integrated but not an obligation, meaning they guarantee a spot but you don't have to take it.
my preference is to do the PGY1 year at a local hospital where I am living right now, for plenty of reasons...my question is; should I wait and go through the match for this local hospital, knowing that the PD said they would love to have me in their program and that they will rank me very highly ( I know...they all say this..), or is it too risky and taking the PGY1 at the institution where I matched is better??

K
 
kima said:
Hey there,

I have a bit of a dillemma here...I matched at an institution where the PGY1 is integrated but not an obligation, meaning they guarantee a spot but you don't have to take it.
my preference is to do the PGY1 year at a local hospital where I am living right now, for plenty of reasons...my question is; should I wait and go through the match for this local hospital, knowing that the PD said they would love to have me in their program and that they will rank me very highly ( I know...they all say this..), or is it too risky and taking the PGY1 at the institution where I matched is better??

K

I had a kinda similar dilemma. But the other spot was for sure and the integrated spot was highly likely. I ended up going with highly likely and now I have the guarantee but it was soooo tempting to take the sure thing. I am more of a safety person so I would take PGY-1 at Emory but I don't know your reasons for staying in your town. I was really honest with the 2 places about my dilemma (took a risk, was honest, didn't play games) and ended up with a straightforward answer and got what I needed.
Could you tell the program in your home town your problem? If they are really serious about ranking you to match they could then tell you. Would Emory still rank you #2?
I know it is a gamble and others may advise differently, but I would just tell them both your story and see what you get.
 
thanks Penguins..
actually the program at my home town said " You are a very competitive candidate, and we would be lucky to have you train with us. I cannot offer any pre-matches, because we have committed to going into the match for all our preliminary positions (Tuesday was the last day to make any changes). We will rank you very high, and, while I cannot predict what might happen, I would be extremely surprised if you did not match with us, if that is what you wish"
for Emory, I would need to tell them now whether to reserve the spot or not...
 
That does sound good and they are telling the truth about Tues having been commitment day.
How does it work with Emory? Are they ranking you if you say you want it or do you get it without going through the match?
It would be nice to be able to tell them the truth... "I would prefer to stay in my home town for PGY-1 but it is not guaranteed. However, I would be very happy to train at your program as well so it is my 2nd choice..." I don't know how well that would go over though depending on the people.

I called the place that wouldn't give me the commitment and said, " I would rather be with you but I have a sure thing at this other place and don't want to end up without a spot for PGY-1, I respect it if you don't want to give me any information, but I would appreciate any feedback you can offer." I was called back with an answer.
Your answer sounds pretty for sure but it is too bad they won't come out and tell you. Some programs interpret those rules about telling you how you are ranked too seriously.
Did you bring up the word "pre-match" or did they?
 
I am in a similar situation where I need to stay where I am now until 2007, when my husband can move with me to my neuro residency location. What my neuro PD told me was that they will still rank me high for the IM year and that, even though I am trying to stay local, I can rank them last and will still match with them if I don't match anywhere else on my list (I only will be ranking 4 local prelim programs). Sounded like a reasonable strategy to me for not going unmatched.