match list questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamoptimusprime

Autobot
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) The school I'm pretty much set on(Daivs) seems to have a pretty unimpressive match list this year. There are no Anesthesiology/Derm/Neurosurgery/Opthamology/ENT matches at all. I guess this can be skewed by what the class members are interested in but I remember at least two 4th years that I spoke to that were dead set on doing Anesthesiology. Should I be worried about this? Is it really hard to get a match in these residencies coming out of Davis? Their older match lists seem pretty stacked so I'm wondering if this is just a strange year or something. What do you guys think?

2) What does it mean if someone is in preliminary internal med/surgery/etc?...is that worse/better/the same?..please explain.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

iamoptimusprime said:
1) The school I'm pretty much set on(Daivs) seems to have a pretty unimpressive match list this year. There are no Anesthesiology/Derm/Neurosurgery/Opthamology/ENT matches at all. I guess this can be skewed by what the class members are interested in but I remember at least two 4th years that I spoke to that were dead set on doing Anesthesiology. Should I be worried about this? Is it really hard to get a match in these residencies coming out of Davis? Their older match lists seem pretty stacked so I'm wondering if this is just a strange year or something. What do you guys think?

2) What does it mean if someone is in preliminary internal med/surgery/etc?...is that worse/better/the same?..please explain.

Thanks!

For many specialties, med students need to do a general medicine internship before embarking on their specialized residency. I've heard this is true for specialties like psych, rheumatology, neuro, anesthesiology. This was my gut rxn to your initial question about why it listed no matches in those specialties - because students don't go directly to those fields w/out a prelim year. It's confusing, though, if you say previous years did list those things. I'm also confused why schools list their matches differently. Some list the specialty the student will ultimately pursue, some just say medicine-prelim or gen surgery-prelim. (gen surgery prelim must be done before a specialized surg), and why some schools list both the prelim match and the specialized match (not always at same school). I don't know if I cleared anything up or just added to the confusion. Maybe someone w/ a better understanding should answer this ;)