match outcomes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prwunecom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just interested to hear how others experiences were regarding the match in psych. I matched with my #5 choice which was somewhat surprising to me. And to top it off, I received an e-mail from the program which I ranked #4 asking for input as to why I chose not to rank their program higher. Weird......I guess I really do NOT understand the way the match works. Anyway, I'd love to hear how others fared.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a letter of "we will rank you highly" from my top choice program but yet dropped down to my 3rd choice. interesting.... that's alright. it is probably due to those 22-24 UCSF students who are matching into psych this year!!! Did they basically take up all the spots on the west coast? hehehehe....
:p

Dear prwunecom,

That is really weird. Your chance at matching is supposed to depend on how they ranked you, not the other way around (given that you did not match at any higher places on your list). If your #4 'ranked you to match' you should have gone there.

I matched at UCLA-NPI, so I'm pretty happy. (Anyone else?) I'm glad that the indirect messages I got from the program reflected reality, as one hears so many horror stories about that sort of thing.

Good luck to all!

monocyte

Members don't see this ad :)
monocyte,

Yes, that was my understanding of how the process works also, but I am happy with where I ended up for a variety of reasons. I will be at Southern Illinois University in July!

I got my #1 choice! I too am relieved that they were honest when they told me I would be there come July.

Congrats to EVERYONE!:clap:

Congrats to everyone!!! I got my #1 choice and am extremely grateful for all the advice and wisdom I've received from this forum! I look forward to working with all my fellow psychiatrists! You rock!

Monocyte, congrats! I just PM'd you.

Regarding this in my original post:

"And to top it off, I received an e-mail from the program which I ranked #4 asking for input as to why I chose not to rank their program higher. Weird......I guess I really do NOT understand the way the match works."

I received another e-mail from the program which I ranked #4 today saying that they are also confused as they ranked me higher than two other students who matched with them. Is it possible that the "computer" program screwed up? Just wondering.

Originally posted by prwunecom
Regarding this in my original post:
I received another e-mail from the program which I ranked #4 today saying that they are also confused as they ranked me higher than two other students who matched with them. Is it possible that the "computer" program screwed up? Just wondering.

If the two other students who ranked below you by the program but chose that program as their first, second or third choice, then they should get matched to that program and not you. My guess is that since the program is suppose to favor applicants, then they will take care of applicants' needs first before looking at your positions on the program's list. that' s my guess.

any other input?

Dear prwunecom,

I'm not sure if Thewonderer is right about this. The way I read the match algorithm, you should have displaced the lower ranking candidates regardless of how they ranked the program.

In any event, it wouldn't hurt to follow up, esp. if you'd really like to go to your #4.

Good luck!

monocyte

According to the NRMP algorithm you should have gotten your #4 because even though the program was filled, you were ranked higher by the program than the other two applicants who matched. Talk to NRMP as well, but somehow I don't think they'd be much help.

One thing that is frustrating about this process is how much trust you give to the NRMP to arrange these decisions for you. I suppose that if > 90% of med students get their first three choices, it must have validity. I just wonder if anyone else ran into these glitches.....

I did ask my school's program director and he told me to rank regardless of how other applicants rank.

However, then how does the algorithm "favors the applicants and not the program" as we have heard over and over again? I am curious...

Congrats to everyone in the match!

As to the anomalies like prwunecom's - that does seem off to me, and I'm interested to see how the nrmp responds (I read your posts on the other forum, and I'm glad that at least they are looking into it).

It says clearly on the nrmp website that:
"During the matching process, an applicant is placed in his/her most preferred program that ranks the applicant and does not fill all its positions with more preferred applicants."

So by that definition, it does seem likely that there might have been a glitch in prwunecom's matching.

I interviewed at 2 programs (wanted to stay in philadelphia) and matched at my 2nd choice, which is my home program. I didn't get any feedback one way or the other from my first choice except a comment at my number one to the effect of 'I bet Dr. X (chairman at my program) would like to keep you.)

Glad to kow you matched KCRD, which is quite an accomplishment after interviewing at only two places GREAT JOB!

I really hope we all get our first choices here <fingers crossed>

oops, I meant 3. I got more invites, just didnt accept