Match Outlook

Started by tzank32
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tzank32

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Im a US Allopathic MD grad that had academic difficulties, (5 yrs to graduate, 1 failure on Step1, 1 failure on 2CK) that didnt match into IM last yr (had about 8 interviews).

Naturally I went OCD this time around and applied to over 150 programs (mix of IM and FM), and this time went on 24 interviews. I was honest about my failures, what I learned from them and hope the PDs really took that into consideration. I ranked all 24 programs (all community IM and FM programs spread all over the country)...is it possible for me to not match again or do you think I am a shoe-in with this number now? I just never ever want to go thru this process again. anxiously awaiting match day.
 
Hi,

Im a US Allopathic MD grad that had academic difficulties, (5 yrs to graduate, 1 failure on Step1, 1 failure on 2CK) that didnt match into IM last yr (had about 8 interviews).

Naturally I went OCD this time around and applied to over 150 programs (mix of IM and FM), and this time went on 24 interviews. I was honest about my failures, what I learned from them and hope the PDs really took that into consideration. I ranked all 24 programs (all community IM and FM programs spread all over the country)...is it possible for me to not match again or do you think I am a shoe-in with this number now? I just never ever want to go thru this process again. anxiously awaiting match day.

Well, while I've got this crystal ball out, do you want winning lotto numbers or scores for next week's games?
 
i have a strong feeling youre gonna get something. the nrmp doesnt even have data on more than 20 ranks...u might have the system beat 😉 i like your strategy!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Im a US Allopathic MD grad that had academic difficulties, (5 yrs to graduate, 1 failure on Step1, 1 failure on 2CK) that didnt match into IM last yr (had about 8 interviews).

Naturally I went OCD this time around and applied to over 150 programs (mix of IM and FM), and this time went on 24 interviews. I was honest about my failures, what I learned from them and hope the PDs really took that into consideration. I ranked all 24 programs (all community IM and FM programs spread all over the country)...is it possible for me to not match again or do you think I am a shoe-in with this number now? I just never ever want to go thru this process again. anxiously awaiting match day.

I think if that many programs invited you on interviews and you ranked all of them you will probably get into one, especially given the lower competitiveness of community FM programs.
 
I think if that many programs invited you on interviews and you ranked all of them you will probably get into one, especially given the lower competitiveness of community FM programs.

According to the latest Charting Outcomes by NRMP, ranking 20 programs of the same specialty back to back puts you at about 99% probability of matching for certain specialties (IM, Peds, and I think FM as well). You should download the PDF and check it out yourself for some reassurance.
 
Last edited:
Hi,

Im a US Allopathic MD grad that had academic difficulties, (5 yrs to graduate, 1 failure on Step1, 1 failure on 2CK) that didnt match into IM last yr (had about 8 interviews).

Naturally I went OCD this time around and applied to over 150 programs (mix of IM and FM), and this time went on 24 interviews. I was honest about my failures, what I learned from them and hope the PDs really took that into consideration. I ranked all 24 programs (all community IM and FM programs spread all over the country)...is it possible for me to not match again or do you think I am a shoe-in with this number now? I just never ever want to go thru this process again. anxiously awaiting match day.

I think it's likely that you would match with 24 IVs. If they invited you, it's likely that they see beyond the failures in the steps. Especially for community programs, chances are higher than for academic or higher end programs. I would think that you have a decent chance of matching.
 
Hi,

Im a US Allopathic MD grad that had academic difficulties, (5 yrs to graduate, 1 failure on Step1, 1 failure on 2CK) that didnt match into IM last yr (had about 8 interviews).

Naturally I went OCD this time around and applied to over 150 programs (mix of IM and FM), and this time went on 24 interviews. I was honest about my failures, what I learned from them and hope the PDs really took that into consideration. I ranked all 24 programs (all community IM and FM programs spread all over the country)...is it possible for me to not match again or do you think I am a shoe-in with this number now? I just never ever want to go thru this process again. anxiously awaiting match day.

The key letters in your first statement being US MD....yes, you are a shoe in. And if you don't get in, then PM me and I will send you a $1 check for being incorrect.
 
I think you'll be fine with that many interviews. How was your Dean's letter? Were there any additional red flags in it?
 
Arghhhhh I friggin MATCHED!!!!!!! God is great...im so humbled, that in my situation....with red flags on my application, I was able to match...dunno what it was...my interviews, my cheesy ERAS photo, or my LORs...but I will never forget this day. Thank u guys 🙂
 
Arghhhhh I friggin MATCHED!!!!!!! God is great...im so humbled, that in my situation....with red flags on my application, I was able to match...dunno what it was...my interviews, my cheesy ERAS photo, or my LORs...but I will never forget this day. Thank u guys 🙂

Congrats 🙂
 
Arghhhhh I friggin MATCHED!!!!!!! God is great...im so humbled, that in my situation....with red flags on my application, I was able to match...dunno what it was...my interviews, my cheesy ERAS photo, or my LORs...but I will never forget this day. Thank u guys 🙂

Congratulations. 26 interviews with those stats is incredible. Did you go to a top-notch med school? May I ask which specialty you matched into?

Congrats again. Glad for you.
 
Congratulations. 26 interviews with those stats is incredible. Did you go to a top-notch med school? May I ask which specialty you matched into?

Congrats again. Glad for you.

He applied to both community IM and FM programs. If he ranked all of them, he would not know at this point which specialty he is in.
 
Hey, Thanks so much! I applied to 150 programs (IM and FM community), got 29 offers, went on 24 interviews, and ranked 20 🙂 Im really happy to be in this situation!!! I'll let you know on Friday if I matched into IM or FM, and I went to Medschool in the midwest, not a big name like Northwestern or anything, but a small US Allo School 🙂 I would be happy to help anyone with failed steps who needs advice on matching...PM me if that happens to be u 🙂
 
Matched into IM at a community program in NY. Very very happy 🙂 Thank you for everyones support!