match prediction 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist199

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know the number of applications for this year FM match? Is it more or less than last year? any prediction for match filled rate for 2005 as compared to last year 2004? I've been searching on the internet the last few days but couldn't find anything. Please post if you have any info. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

See my post in "prematch" or go to scutwork.com and look at 2004 NRMP stats on final match. 78% of FM programs filled their quotas, a little more than half were USMG (MD/DO?) and close to half were FMG's. :cool:

thank cristagali, the information i'm looking for is for 2005, i know it's not part of the statistics in nrmp.org or scutwork.com yet! I mean if you have come across a program saying this year application is up or down or overall number of applications to eras, please let me know. Some information i know, during the interviews in michigan, most PDs said that this year they have more applications than ever, but when I went down to NJ, PDs said that total number of applications to their program is worse than last year. I am not sure which is which!

Some other info: Most program this year rank about 9 candidates for each position in FM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in pretty close contact with the programs here in AZ and they all say that #'s and quality of applicants is WAY up this year. Now, not to flatter myself, but I wonder how much of that is real and how much is to sell their own programs. I tend to think that its at least a little true. Again, that is for the 5 AZ programs, no idea what's up for the rest of the programs.

May be just in NY & NJ that applications decrease, I think people want to go where there are less IMGs, other states I went (Wis, Il, Mi, OH, WV,VA, Fl), they all said applications went up!! Anyway I feel that although there may be more applicants, I think the filled match rate for this year will go down, because there are so many applicants did not fulfill their exam requirements before residency (ie. Step 2 CS). Just a guess, We will see the match stat on March 17th!!

From the New England front, I've heard applications are down again but the quality of applicants has increased at least in the northeast.

I guess though none of us will know for sure though until match day comes and goes.

thanks said:
I've been in pretty close contact with the programs here in AZ and they all say that #'s and quality of applicants is WAY up this year. Now, not to flatter myself, but I wonder how much of that is real and how much is to sell their own programs. I tend to think that its at least a little true. Again, that is for the 5 AZ programs, no idea what's up for the rest of the programs.

Numbers at my program were about the same as last year. From what I gather from the other SC programs, it looks about the same as far as numbers go.

I think that the match results this year will follow the trend of previous years
The numbers for fp will probably be down. I spoke to a faculty member at a program who was bracing for a bad match.

CambieMD

Im a resident in the midwest and on admissions for our program and apps went up. We interviewed later than we usually do because we had so many apps and a really good app pool this year.

Might be a regional thing. I'm also from the midwest and have heard that both family practice programs in my hometown may fill this year.

Just found this out! Could this year Feb 14, 2005 DO's match predict MD's match March 17, 2005?

SUMMARY OF POSITIONS OFFERED & FILLED BY PROGRAM TYPE

(To print this page, click once here, and then click the Print button on your browser.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRE MATCH ------ POST MATCH -------
PROGRAM TYPE PROGRAMS POSITIONS POSITIONS FILLED UNFILLED
-------------------------------- -------- --------- -------- ------ ------

CMB:ANESTHESIOLOGY 9 19 19 17 2
CMB:DIAGNOSTIC RADIOLOGY 11 24 24 24 0
CMB:EMERGENCY MEDICINE 29 126 121 103 18
CMB:FAMILY PRACTICE 102 399 317 174 143
CMB:FAMILY PRAC-EMERG MED 2 3 3 3 0
CMB:FAM PRAC-OSTEO MANIP MED 2 6 6 6 0
CMB:GENERAL SURGERY 31 79 64 54 10
CMB:INTERNAL MEDICINE 57 225 161 102 59
CMB:INTERNAL MED-EMERG MED 9 22 20 16 4