match question??? intern for 2006 but no program for 2007?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toblerone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew how the Match algorithm worked...

For specialties that require a separate internship yr (anesthesia/ radiology / optho/ derm / etc)... is it possible to get matched to a prelim yr (2006) and not matched for the REAL program (2007)???

The way it looks on NRMP is that first they see if u match at your real program (2007) on the Primary rank order list ... and then go through the 'Supplemental' list for the prelim spots...

Is it possible to get a spot for 2007, matched for the prelim yr 2006... but then as the computer keeps chugging along, u get bumped from the 2007 spot?? And are left with the prelim in 2006??

Sorry for the rambling question... but if someone knows anything, please pass the info along~~
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

toblerone said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew how the Match algorithm worked...

For specialties that require a separate internship yr (anesthesia/ radiology / optho/ derm / etc)... is it possible to get matched to a prelim yr (2006) and not matched for the REAL program (2007)???

The way it looks on NRMP is that first they see if u match at your real program (2007) on the Primary rank order list ... and then go through the 'Supplemental' list for the prelim spots...

Is it possible to get a spot for 2007, matched for the prelim yr 2006... but then as the computer keeps chugging along, u get bumped from the 2007 spot?? And are left with the prelim in 2006??

Sorry for the rambling question... but if someone knows anything, please pass the info along~~
Thanks

That won't happen because after you get "bumped" from your 2007 spot, the computer algorithm will bump you from your supplemental rank list. The only way to match in just the intern spot is if you rank it seperately, and you were unable to match to any ranks above it.

Thanks man~~
I can now rank a crappy prelim program which i can tolerate as long as i have something lined up for 2007 ... but would be the worst possible outcome (if i was left with only the crappy prelim program and nothing for 2007)

Members don't see this ad :)
toblerone said:
Thanks man~~
I can now rank a crappy prelim program which i can tolerate as long as i have something lined up for 2007 ... but would be the worst possible outcome (if i was left with only the crappy prelim program and nothing for 2007)

Don't forget.... spots open up/are added during the year for different specialties in case the worst were to happen. Keep your ears peeled if the worse-case scenario ends up panning out. You might be able to slide into a spot during intern year.

oh! but that shouldnt happen (match at crappy place 2006 and nothing 2007) because i wont be ranking prelims in the primary rank order list........ right?

and thanks for letting me know about 'spots opening up', i hadnt thought about sliding into anything (well not into a mid-yr residency) :p

toblerone said:
Thanks man~~

Don't forget.... spots open up/are added during the year for different specialties in case the worst were to happen. Keep your ears peeled if the worse-case scenario ends up panning out. You might be able to slide into a spot during intern year.

toblerone said:
oh! but that shouldnt happen (match at crappy place 2006 and nothing 2007) because i wont be ranking prelims in the primary rank order list........ right?

and thanks for letting me know about 'spots opening up', i hadnt thought about sliding into anything (well not into a mid-yr residency) :p

You are correct, it shouldn't happen. And don't rank bad prelim programs either on your supplementary lists. I thought the same way as you did.

But be extremely careful about selecting your prelim year if you match into the program of your dreams for PGY2. A crappy intern year can still reach out and bite your donkey. It would be terrible to match your PGY2 program, pick a crappy intern program because its convenient, wouldn't have to move, etc, and then find yourself screwed by the bad prelim program. See Graduating DO Warning on this forum, the details are not quite accurate, but the gist is. I should know, I'm the rad onc it happened to. See also Troy Madsen's diary on this site. Horrible story.

Moral: no matter how tempting, no matter how seductive, do not pick a bad PGY1/prelim year for convenience. The cost of two cross country moves will be trivial compared with the potential disasters in a malignant program. Lets all be careful out there.

3dtp said:
But be extremely careful about selecting your prelim year if you match into the program of your dreams for PGY2. A crappy intern year can still reach out and bite your donkey. It would be terrible to match your PGY2 program, pick a crappy intern program because its convenient, wouldn't have to move, etc, and then find yourself screwed by the bad prelim program. See Graduating DO Warning on this forum, the details are not quite accurate, but the gist is. I should know, I'm the rad onc it happened to. See also Troy Madsen's diary on this site. Horrible story.

3dtp.... do you have a link for that thread?