Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a little early in asking this question, but I figure it can't hurt to get the information early. My question is this: Pre-match, can I rank more than one specialty? Is there a limit?

If I happen to develop an intense liking for 2 different NRMP specialties, could I interview in both specialties and rank based on location? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

TexPre-Med said:
I know I'm a little early in asking this question, but I figure it can't hurt to get the information early. My question is this: Pre-match, can I rank more than one specialty? Is there a limit?

If I happen to develop an intense liking for 2 different NRMP specialties, could I interview in both specialties and rank based on location? Thanks for your help.

You can apply to as much as you can afford.
Be prepared to explain why you love the specialty you are interviewing at and don't submit the wrong personal statement to the wrong specialty.

penguins said:
You can apply to as much as you can afford.
Be prepared to explain why you love the specialty you are interviewing at and don't submit the wrong personal statement to the wrong specialty.

But, unless the program directors talk to each other there is no way they will know if you are applying to more than one specialty. (Unless you screw up designating your letters and personal statements.)

I don't think that even in the same institution the Pediatrics program director will talk to the Surgery program director about applicants so you're probably in the clear. Still, if you are asked directly if you are applying to other specialties you should give an honest answer.

Panda Bear said:
But, unless the program directors talk to each other there is no way they will know if you are applying to more than one specialty. (Unless you screw up designating your letters and personal statements.)

I don't think that even in the same institution the Pediatrics program director will talk to the Surgery program director about applicants so you're probably in the clear. Still, if you are asked directly if you are applying to other specialties you should give an honest answer.

We had this chat at my program last year. It depends on the PDs and how they get along but it's certainly possible (our IM PD knew of a few people applying who were also applying to Surgery because she chats w/ the Surgery PD) that within an institution people will be talking to one another. That said, I don't think it's the rule and shouldn't color your choice of specialities to apply to. I actually applied to 4 Path programs in addition to the 20-some medicine/research programs I applied to this year. By the time interviews rolled around though I knew I didn't want to do Path and so declined all of those interview offers.

My $0.02

BE