match question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdig

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
actually 2,
1. do you have to participate in the match to scramble?
2. how late can you take step2ck? thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

jdig said:
actually 2,
1. do you have to participate in the match to scramble?
2. how late can you take step2ck? thanks guys!

1. yes, only people who participate in the match get access to the unfilled program list
2. depends on your school, my school has a deadline in January, but I know other schools that go up to March and April. Check with your dean's office.

if your file isnt complete (say lacking step 2ck) does that keep your eras application from being marked as potential interviewee? how would this effect you? can you match w/o all steps complete? please forgive what may seem an ignorant question :)

In 2005.. i know 2 people who got auto-kicked out of nrmp match like on 20th of Feb because they have not passed step 2 yet. I presume the same system remains the same. If you are waiting for results still by the time the match starts, most US schools will try to scramble you anyway when the scramble is up, even if you didn't participate in the match. Hence some people begin residency and have not passed step 2 (getting more rare from what I hear).

Faebinder said:
In 2005.. i know 2 people who got auto-kicked out of nrmp match like on 20th of Feb because they have not passed step 2 yet. I presume the same system remains the same. If you are waiting for results still by the time the match starts, most US schools will try to scramble you anyway when the scramble is up, even if you didn't participate in the match. Hence some people begin residency and have not passed step 2 (getting more rare from what I hear).
I think that only applies to foreign med. students/grads getting booted out of match, if they have not taken Step2 by a certain date. I was under the impression that if you were a US med student it does not matter when you take Step 2, though I think you have to have passed it before you can start residency or your school may require it to graduate. If I am mistaken, someone speak up.

As a med student in a USA school, you do not need to have step 2 completed to participate in the match. You must take and pass both parts of step 2 prior to starting to internship.

Not having Step 2CK results completed prior to rank list submission time will hurt your application somewhat because most program directors would like to avoid any surprises of post-match 4th year students who fail the step 2ck. They are less concerned about the step 2cs because most people pass easily.

inositide said:
As a med student in a USA school, you do not need to have step 2 completed to participate in the match. You must take and pass both parts of step 2 prior to starting to internship.

Not having Step 2CK results completed prior to rank list submission time will hurt your application somewhat because most program directors would like to avoid any surprises of post-match 4th year students who fail the step 2ck. They are less concerned about the step 2cs because most people pass easily.

But the reality is that the first time pass rate for ck and cs is actually somewhat similar. I did not have step 2 scores on file for the match and still matched quite well. It depends on the program applied to and school attemded when most people take step 2. Ultimate step 2ck passage rate is ~99%.

Some schools also do not require step 2 passage for graduation.

us-md candidates 1st time pass rate
96% for CS
94% for CK

http://www.usmle.org/scores/2005perf.htm