Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwizle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was reading the algorithm to the match and had a question that I can't find the answer too. First of all, I've been told many times that the match is in the applicants favor. Anyways, here's a hypothetical scenario. Let's say I rank a program number 1. Now, there's another applicant out there who has the same program I ranked 1 ranked at number 5 in his respective ROL. Let's say that other applicant doesn't match in his top 4 programs, is there any way he would match at the program over me if he ranked the program 5 and that I ranked it 1??? In this scenario, both I and the other applicant are ranked by the program and the other candidate is ranked higher than me.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was reading the algorithm to the match and had a question that I can't find the answer too. First of all, I've been told many times that the match is in the applicants favor. Anyways, here's a hypothetical scenario. Let's say I rank a program number 1. Now, there's another applicant out there who has the same program I ranked 1 ranked at number 5 in his respective ROL. Let's say that other applicant doesn't match in his top 4 programs, is there any way he would match at the program over me if he ranked the program 5 and that I ranked it 1??? In this scenario, both I and the other applicant are ranked by the program and the other candidate is ranked higher than me.

Yes, it is possible that he will match there and you won't. It's also possible that you'll both match there, or that neither of you will. What's not possible in the scenario you describe is you matching there but not him.

Once a program on your ROL fills without you getting a spot there, the next program on your list moves to your #1. So in the case where the other guy doesn't match to his first 4, his #5 (your #1) now becomes his #1.

If he is ranked higher than you, he doesn't get his top 4, and the program has not already filled with people ranked above you both, yes he will get the spot over you.

Yes. If you and he were battling over the last spot he would win.

By ranking that program #1 the algorithm simply looks there first for a potential match. You may tentatively match to that program but when the other guy falls down to #5 (where you're currently matched), he's going to knock you down a notch (and anyone else ranked lower than him by the program). That could potentially knock you off the list completely and the computer would then look to place you at your #2, or you could both match. Or neither if someone comes along and knocks him off.

Last edited:
Why is this so confusing to everyone?

Why is this so confusing to everyone?

I think people don't spend the time to read the NRMP's explanation which I thought was pretty good. Also people spread information they think is true when it's actually incorrect.

Also people are scared of the Match and worried they could be doing their list "wrong".

The website could just say "rank the programs in the order you liked them and we'll take care of the rest" but I don't think people would accept that lol

Hi, I'm the NRMP algorithm. I see you've ranked Awesome University Hospital (AUH) number 1 on your ROL. They have 5 available spots and have ranked you numero 6. Super! You have tentatively matched at AUH! AUH wants to know if their top 5 candidates ranked them high enough to be a suitable match. Only 4 out of the 5 did! Congratulations, you have successfully matched at AUH!

Hi, I'm the NRMP algorithm. I see you've ranked Awesome University Hospital (AUH) number 1 on your ROL. They have 5 available spots and have ranked you numero 6. Super! You have tentatively matched at AUH! AUH wants to know if their top 5 candidates ranked them high enough to be a suitable match. Only 4 out of the 5 did! Congratulations, you have successfully matched at AUH!

Damn I wonder why I didn't apply to AUH

Damn I wonder why I didn't apply to AUH

It's blasphemy considering one of their top 5 applicants didn't deem them awesome enough :mad:

The one thing not mentioned yet in this thread is "how then is the match designed to be in the applicant's favor?". Which is true.

That statement only relates to ties, which are very rare.

Imagine the possibility of two programs, A and B. Each has one spot.
Two applicants X and Y, apply to both A and B.

Program A ranks #1-X, #2-Y
Program B ranks #1-Y, #2-X

X ranks #1-B, #2-A
Y ranks #1-A, #2-B

You'll see that either both programs will get their first choice (and both applicants get their second), or both applicants get their first choice and both programs get their second. You can't make everyone happy. In these cases, ties are broken in favor of the applicant, hence the match "favors" applicants. But this scenario is very rare and certainly not worth worrying about.

Which proves that your reading comprehension skills are as poor as the OPs...why you would bring that to our attention is unclear.

It might help him understand the answer to his question better.