Match Rates for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChasenPune

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I always see how potential IMGs are scared away from pursuing medical school and trying to match back into a US residency. The numbers I generally see are around 50% or so.

But, what actually happens if you are in that 50% that doesn't make it. Can you try to rematch? Is there a timeframe to wait? Are you encouraged to do more research and retake the USMLE?

I feel like even a 50/50 is worth it assuming you have multiple swings at that opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't retake the USMLE once you pass. Your score is your score.

Doing research doesn't necessarily fix the problem. Research is helpful for an FMG with no US experience -- they get in the US, get letters, exposure, etc. For a carib grad, research might help get some exposure to programs, but it also makes you 1 year further out from your clinical training.

And the 50/50 that you're referring to is complicated. Some number of IMG's fail out along the way, their chances of matching are 0. Those that do make it to match, the NRMP data shows about a 60% match rate -- but that's only for people who actually submitted a rank list -- 20% or so don't submit a list (presumably because they don't get any interviews). The chance of matching is probably best in the first try -- each subsequent try the chances are less.