Match results...internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macbookpro45

Cautiously Optimistic
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I understand the first year of residency is termed 'internship'. However, if a schools match results indicate things like general surgery, family med, dermatology, internship, etc. then what does the internship in a match result indicate?

Is that a residency? Is it referring to an internist? (Although this match list already has a separate spot for internal medicine match results)

Members don't see this ad.

pcomcollage.pcom.edu:86/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/match_2012_phl.html

FYI this is what I mean. At the bottom it says 'rotating internship'. Wth is this?

Members don't see this ad :)

I knew someone would post that ha. My follow up question is do states, like PA, require you to still do an internship to practice in the state? Let's say I want to do a 5year general surgery residency and eventually practice in PA. Does this mean I need to first do an internship (1yr) then match into general surgery (5yrs) then practice making for a total of 6 years? Or is the internship only required for certain specialties?

Reactions: 1 user
Intern doesn't mean internal medicine. An internship is the 1st year of residency. It's like being a freshman in college. You don't do a freshman year and then attend college.

Intern doesn't mean internal medicine. An internship is the 1st year of residency. It's like being a freshman in college. You don't do a freshman year and then attend college.
I know this. Read my first and second post and click on the link I posted and go to the bottom.

I knew someone would post that ha. My follow up question is do states, like PA, require you to still do an internship to practice in the state? Let's say I want to do a 5year general surgery residency and eventually practice in PA. Does this mean I need to first do an internship (1yr) then match into general surgery (5yrs) then practice making for a total of 6 years? Or is the internship only required for certain specialties?

Search resolution 42.

I believe that resolution 42 is only an issue if you want to practice in states that make it an issue AND you're doing an ACGME residency. You can either do an AOA intern year, or you can just do everything ACGME and later apply for a resolution 42 exemption.

So you're saying if I want to practice in PA I do NOT need to do a TRI if I match into an AOA residency?

If I match into ACGME residency I have two options:
1) apply resolution 42
2) do a TRI prior to ACGME residency

Is what I wrote correct? Where does it say that an AOA residency is sufficient to fulfill that TRI requirement by Pennsylvania?

So you're saying if I want to practice in PA I do NOT need to do a TRI if I match into an AOA residency?

1) apply resolution 42

Is what I wrote correct? Where does it say that an AOA residency is sufficient to fulfill that TRI requirement by Pennsylvania?

Yep, you're correct.

And to answer your orginal question.....

Some people do internships because
1) they don't know what they want to do yet
2) they didn't match and an internship is all they could get
3) they matched into a pgy2 residency, like derm, radiology, rad/onc, anesthesia, pm&r, etc. that requires an internship year. These people will be listed twice in a match list. Once for their internship and a second time for their pgy2 residency.

There are pgy1 (post graduate year 1) anesthesia, radiology, neurology, and pm&r residencies. These do not require an internship before starting. The intern year is integerated into the curriculum. Therefore, not everyone who matched anesthesia, radiology, neurology, etc. will be listed twice on a match list.

Last edited:

1) apply resolution 42

Here are the exact requirements for each residency program: http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...ng/Documents/resolution-42-core-rotations.pdf

Yep, you're correct.

And to answer your orginal question.....

Some people do internships because
1) they don't know what they want to do yet
2) they didn't match and an internship is all they could get
3) they matched into a pgy2 residency, like derm, radiology, rad/onc, anesthesia, pm&r, etc. that requires an internship year. These people will be listed twice in a match list. Once for their internship and a second time for their pgy2 residency.

There are pgy1 (post graduate year 1) anesthesia, radiology, neurology, and pm&r residencies. These do not require an internship before starting. The intern year is integerated into the curriculum. Therefore, not everyone who matched anesthesia, radiology, neurology, etc. will be listed twice on a match list.
Ahh ok so if you match to AOA derm position in 4th year of med school it might require you to do an internship/TRI but you are still guaranteed that derm residency because you matches into it, right?

Ahh ok so if you match to AOA derm position in 4th year of med school it might require you to do an internship/TRI but you are still guaranteed that derm residency because you matches into it, right?

You get the idea but you picked the one exception, which is Aoa derm. You do not match into aoa derm as a 4th year. Instead you must match into a traditional rotating internship and apply for aoa derm as an intern. There are, however, some aoa derm programs that are unofficially linked to aoa family medicine residencies.

If you said pm&r instead of derm what you said would be correct.

You get the idea but you picked the one exception, which is Aoa derm. You do not match into aoa derm as a 4th year. Instead you must match into a traditional rotating internship and apply for aoa derm as an intern. There are, however, some aoa derm programs that are unofficially linked to aoa family medicine residencies.

If you said pm&r instead of derm what you said would be correct.

That makes sense thanks for helping me through that! I'm just still confused why DO schools do not have to report the percentage of their medical students that successfully obtain a residency position.

I'm just still confused why DO schools do not have to report the percentage of their medical students that successfully obtain a residency position.

COCA does require a GME placement report from each school for accreditation. The minimum placement rate is 98% on a 3-year rolling basis.

Last edited:
COCA does require a GME placement report from each school for accreditation. The minimum placement rate is 98% on a 3-year rolling basis.
You are a book of knowledge and I don't know what those abbreviations mean haha. Do you have a text/source for this stuff so perhaps I can just read it and not bug people on SDN?

An internship does not always lead to continued residency. One can do a traditional rotating internship/transitional year, which are freestanding. These are essentially free standing family med internships in which you do a little of everything (ie - IM/Surg/OB, etc). One could also do a non-categorical intern year in another field (usually IM or surgery). After either of these options you generally have to reapply to continue on as PGY2.