Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could somebody please explain how this all works. I had heard that we find out two days before the actual results whether we matched or not but I can't find anything regarding this on SF Match. Was I told wrong? Also, how do we normally find out where we matched? Is it through an email or a phone call on Thursday morning? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Anxiously Awaiting

Members don't see this ad.

The residents at my program here were called by the program director around 7-730am on match day. But I think at some places the dean calls you. I know our dean said they will inform us by 9.

From what I heard, either the program director of the residency you matched into or your school dean will call you and let you know. If no one calls, you can check by calling sfmatch on Friday. Also I don't think we don't found out whether we matched or not two days before, I think that is for the regular match. If I am wrong, someone please correct me

Members don't see this ad :)
For SF match, everyone (applicants and programs) find out the same day (the match day). As stated above, you'll receive a call in the morning from your program director or your dean to tell you that you matched with them.
I'm on the west coast and I didn't receive any calls by 6:30 am PT, so I started calling and I found out that way. Maybe they didn't wanna wake me up! (like I was asleep)

In the regular match (NRMP), applicants will know whether they matched or not on Monday; 3 days later (Thursday), they know where they matched.

Good luck to eveyone

I called SFMatch and they said that all the dean's offices and program directors should have the information on Thursday, Jan 17th. They should actually have it by the time their office opens in the morning, even east coast time. Generally the PD or dean's office will contact you and let you know the results. If for some reason you don't know your results, you can actually call SFMatch on Thursday afternoon (SFMatch time zone "afternoon") and they will give you your results.

I asked how you are notified if you don't match, and she said that she doesn't know the answer to that, and that the board was actually in a meeting and they might be discussing how to go about that because things change every year. She said you could of course call if you don't hear anything.

Just to add to the gossip column. Apparently deans office and PD/programs receive a fax with the relevant information "sometime past midnight", so it boils down to what time the dean, PD, etc gets in the next day...

I think your best bet would be to get into contact with your dean/dean's office and make sure they have your cell phone number. Most deans are in the office early that morning and have the results. Tell them you would appreciate a phone call in the morning when they have the results in hand.

Since there is a lot of variability both among whether programs contact matched candidates directly and (if they do contact) the time of day at which they do so, this should allow you to find out your result as early as possible.