Match Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septoplasty

Exceptional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when should we expect to see Charting outcomes or any sort of data for this years match? Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe they have regional statistics out already on NRMP. You can see the stats after you log in.

That's true. I found it curious that A LOT of spots went unfilled. For example., more than one third of surgery prelims.

I believe they have regional statistics out already on NRMP. You can see the stats after you log in.

The official "Charting the Outcomes of the Match" which is released every other year will be released August 2013. This is the pdf with the detailed data for each specialty.

That's true. I found it curious that A LOT of spots went unfilled. For example., more than one third of surgery prelims.

That's the case for surgery prelims every year; those aren't real spots, as a high proportion of them don't actually lead anywhere particularly useful. In pretty much every categorical specialty, the number of unfilled spots is down almost across the board

Some people would take any spot, not having better choices. If the spots are paid by Medicare, why would programs chose to remain unfilled? I mean, it's almost 40% unfilled, it must be by design.

Another big surprise was that Radiology had 8.5% of the spots unfilled. I thought it was rather competitive speciality.

That's the case for surgery prelims every year; those aren't real spots, as a high proportion of them don't actually lead anywhere particularly useful. In pretty much every categorical specialty, the number of unfilled spots is down almost across the board

Radiology maintains a high caliber of applicants (step 1 avg around 240) while having over 1000 spots. Most of the unfilled spots are from community programs.

Anyone know why anesthesia had so many unfilled spots (44)? Especially for only having about 1000 positions. There are more unfilled anes spots than IM spots, even though IM has six times the number of offered positions! I thought anesthesia was still pretty popular despite the CRNA situation.

I thought anesthesia was still pretty popular despite the CRNA situation.

There were 57 unfilled spots in 2010, 50 unfilled spots in 2011. It's right in with the trend. Now you have to remember that some of those spots are probably research/specialty track spots so that narrows it down even more.

The most surprising I think is the measly 10 spots in categorical peds. I always thought FM and peds made up the bulk of SOAP/scramble spots.

There were 57 unfilled spots in 2010, 50 unfilled spots in 2011. It's right in with the trend. Now you have to remember that some of those spots are probably research/specialty track spots so that narrows it down even more.
I see, thanks for the clarification.

I guess looking at the regional stats, most surprising for me is how the unfilled spots for FM and Anesthesiology are the same at 4%. Waiting for the day where Anesthesiology becomes a backup :laugh:

Most surprising was EM.. having only 3 spots unfilled from 1700+.

Anyone know which specialty had the most increase in unfilled spots?

- Post-match neurotic behavior at its best.

I guess looking at the regional stats, most surprising for me is how the unfilled spots for FM and Anesthesiology are the same at 4%. Waiting for the day where Anesthesiology becomes a backup :laugh:

Rad onc had 1 or 2 last year (don't remember) but 7(!) this year.

EM had no unfilled spots last year.

My 'guess' is that the unfilled anesthesiology spots are not unfilled at random - there will be a pattern to it. Some programs will have both categorical and advanced spots going unfilled. This is not an indication of 'interest' or 'competitiveness', but instead this is the result of either a weird vibe people got from a particular program, some red flag that a program completely failed to address, or much more likely, that the program ranked too few applicants against their positions. A few years ago, each of MGH, Hopkins, and UCSF went unfilled in three consecutive years. I expect a very long queue of medical students willing to sell a kidney to match at one of these institutions. As opposed to that, UMass is a chronic unfiller for multiple reasons.

Last edited:
My 'guess' is that the unfilled anesthesiology spots are not unfilled at random - there will be a pattern to it. Some programs will have both categorical and advanced spots going unfilled. This is not an indication of 'interest' or 'competitiveness', but instead this is the result of either a weird vibe people got from a particular program, some red flag that a program completely failed to address, or much more likely, that the program ranked too few applicants against their positions. A few years ago, each of MGH, Hopkins, and UCSF went unfilled in three consecutive years. I expect a very long queue of medical students willing to sell a kidney to match at one of these institutions. As opposed to that, UMass is a chronic unfiller for multiple reasons.

what's wrong with Umass?

I used GAS as back up for PM&R. :thumbup:

EM had no unfilled spots last year.

Last year an SDNer didn't match to EM and got stuck in Anes during the SOAP. It's like gas is becoming a dumping ground or something. Talk about a last minute career change!

What was really funny was gas still had higher board scores, so it set off a huge and thoughtful SDN discussion about what 'competitive' really means.

And last years unfilled spot wasn't real, so there were technically none. This year, there are only 6 real ones.

I wonder what happened. Were there not enough applicants or did programs get too arrogant with their lists? 6 real spots doesn't seem like a lot but it's 4% of the total number of spots!

I wonder what happened. Were there not enough applicants or did programs get too arrogant with their lists? 6 real spots doesn't seem like a lot but it's 4% of the total number of spots!

Well, until the release all of the data it is difficult to say. But based on what I've heard, it sounds like the problem was two fold. 1) An increasingly competitive applicant pool, meaning its harder to differentiate who the lower tier applicants are, 2) And because of the increasing competitiveness, many of us applicants are going on WAY too many interviews. I know many people who went on over 20 interviews. This is the biggest reason these lower tier programs went unmatched.

To be honest, the other problem is that because there are so few programs, most people apply to all of them, and so programs have no way of knowing who truly wants to attend their program and who just applied there along with every other program in the country.

I'm not SOAPing, so I dont know, but I'm certain those spots were gone in the first round!

And last years unfilled spot wasn't real, so there were technically none. This year, there are only 6 real ones.

Are you sure you're comparing the same numbers? Was the "one" unmatched spot last year a measure of open spots after SOAP or before? I'm guessing programs got greedy. I bet all 7 spots will be filled through SOAP and it will show no empty spots in Charting the Outcomes of the Match.

I was surprised by 3 of the programs that didn't fill spots which would suggest at least a few programs got greedy.

Are you sure you're comparing the same numbers? Was the "one" unmatched spot last year a measure of open spots after SOAP or before? I'm guessing programs got greedy. I bet all 7 spots will be filled through SOAP and it will show no empty spots in Charting the Outcomes of the Match.

I was surprised by 3 of the programs that didn't fill spots which would suggest at least a few programs got greedy.
The data released on Fri/Mon is match data, pre SOAP.

The data released on Fri/Mon is match data, pre SOAP.

I was referring to last year's number of one unfilled spot--I'm wondering wether there was more than one spot open pre-SOAP last year that was filled through the SOAP process and then data released after the Match and SOAP showed one unfilled spot. make sense?

I was referring to last year's number of one unfilled spot--I'm wondering wether there was more than one spot open pre-SOAP last year that was filled through the SOAP process and then data released after the Match and SOAP showed one unfilled spot. make sense?
No. The data released each year is all just initial match. It lines up with the data that is released about # of spots per region per specialty that even matched candidates can access in their NRMP.

So any matched candidate already knows that there were X spots in any given specialty available from scramble. When the data is released, you'll be able to see which programs those spots were at. No further data about how or when those were filled was released as far as I know last year.