Match Stats 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonesomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is based on 2017's thread, but since Match Day is tomorrow...

(You don't have to answer all of these, this is suggested so people can look through this thread next year and have an idea of our Match Day.)
  • GPA:
  • Geographic location:
  • Activities:
  • Leadership:
  • Community Service:
  • Research:
  • Work experience in pharmacy:
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy:
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to:
  • Number of interview invites:
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.):
  • Time you received email:
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you:
  • Additional Notes:
Good luck tomorrow, everyone! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck to everyone! Excited to see who I will be passing on the residency torch to in just a few short months.

Sitting here can't even believe I matched, writing this out in complete shock.
  • GPA: 3.6
  • Geographic location: North East
  • Activities/Leadership: All through undergrad/pharmacy school (Quality > Quantity in my opinion)
  • Community Service: ~ 2 years
  • Research: Clinical research, 1 poster presented at Midyear
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Pharm tech
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: Fast food
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 9 - all over east coast
  • Number of interview invites: 5 (ranked 4)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): General PGY1, ranked #3 of #4
  • Time you received email: 8:15am
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Not at all
  • Additional Notes: Not my first choice so a bit disappointed, to be honest I didnt even think this place was an option as it was a bit of a reach for me. That's probably why I ranked it so low. Honestly a huge whirlwind of a process with ups and downs. Very honored to have matched and proud of myself for all my hard work and accomplishments. Regardless of the results, I hope everyone realizes that the path to success is not a straight line but has lots of bumps and curves. If anyone didn't match... you WILL get through this and will go on to pursure great things. This whole process does not determine your worth as a pharmacist.
  • Thanks guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • GPA: 3.18
  • Geographic location: Ohio
  • Activities: Church, wrestling coach, various volunteer work, kappa psi, APhA, Alpha Chi Rho
  • Leadership: Virtually none, though I did try (and fail) to run several times!
  • Community Service: Many including church (kids ministry and high school small group leader), wrestling coach (~500 hrs or more of volunteering), various events related to school organizations
  • Research: Yes, 1 retrospective analysis that’s in progress
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 3 yrs (1 hosp, 2 retail)
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: yes, barely
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 11 general PGY1 pharmacy practice
  • Number of interview invites: 2 on-site
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): PGY1 Pharm Prac in TN, #2/2
  • Time you received email: 8:05am
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Was not sure
  • Additional Notes: All the glory to God.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I can't believe I matched wow
  • GPA: 3.78
  • Geographic location: Northeast
  • Activities: APhA, SNPhA, newspaper, yearbook, pharmacy fraternity
  • Leadership: public relation chairs, secretary, editor-in-chief
  • Community Service: library volunteering, school fundraisers, etc.
  • Research: none (this played a big factor in all my interview rejections I think)
  • Work experience in pharmacy: a lot of retail (since P1 year)
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: tutoring
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 10
  • Number of interview invites: 4
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #3 of 3
  • Time you received email: 8:05AM eastern
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: not fully? it was my first interview and my answers were bad but I got along well with everyone
  • Additional Notes: This hospital may not have been my first choice but I'm so ecstatic to have matched here and I think everyone should try for programs out of their comfort zone because it'll be worth it! I talked to them by chance at Midyear and already they've been so amazing at reaching out after matching!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • GPA: 3.47
  • Geographic location: West
  • Activities/Leadership: APhA coordinator=many health fairs, PDX officer, various community service events
  • Community Service: 10 years (since high school and consistently each semester in Pharmacy school)
  • Research: Original research, QI; 2 posters presented at Midyear
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Pharmacy intern in ambulatory care and retail settings (3 years)
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: service industry aka fast food, caregiver for disabled, camp coordinator
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to:15
  • Number of interview invites: 8 (ranked all)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Managed Care (#1 choice)
  • Time you received email: 5:10am
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: I was not sure. They were warm but, neutral.
  • Additional Notes: I was very disheartened and so indecisiveness last Fall but, I decided to proceed with participating in the match. I always wanted to do residency but, I didn't think I was good enough and to make matters worse, I became geographically-limited. It is only by God's grace that I have matched. I wish everyone good luck with the process.

• GPA:3.86
  • Geographic location: Southeast
  • Activities: APhA-ASP, FSHP, Rho Chi
  • Leadership: None really
  • Community Service: various community health fairs for underserved population.
  • Research: Research internship with the college of pharmacy, and a research project during my rotations that was accepted as an abstract for both a national and a local presentation.
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Technician for a big retail chain.
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: None while in pharmacy school
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 12, a mix of academic centers and community hospitals.
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): General PGY-1 residency. I ranked it #1.
  • Time you received email: ~8 am.
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes but maybe not high on their list. There were other exceptional candidates interviewing and I don't think I did particularly well during the clinical case (although I am hard on myself). I wasn't really confident with any of my 4 interviews and was preparing mentally to not match.

• GPA: pass/no pass school so I don’t have a GPA
  • Geographic location: southwest
  • Activities: APhA, ASHP, NVSHP
  • Leadership: P3 class president
  • Community Service: health fairs
  • Research: 1 year with a biochem professor at my school, presented a poster at midyear
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 1.5 years retail during school
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: construction/hospitality before Pharm School
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 6, some we’ll know institutions, teaching hospitals, community hospitals
  • Number of interview invites: 3
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): I matched my #1, teaching hospital
  • Time you received email: ~ 5:10 pacific
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you:yes, I did 2 of my P3 rotations there
  • Additional Notes: my program is a lesser known 3 year school that I felt hurt my chances when applying for the more well known programs, especially since I don’t have a GPA. I am extremely pleased with the match result though!

• GPA: 3.4-ish
  • Geographic location: NorthEast
  • Activities: LKS, Club Field Hockey, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Pharmacy student government, SPPAG, AXO
  • Leadership: SPPAG President, LKS Historian (2 years)
  • Community Service: Big Brothers Big Sisters (2 years), various other activities through the years
  • Research: 2 research projects
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Retail for 4 years
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: Ice Cream Scooper
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 14 general PGY1
  • Number of interview invites: 2
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #1
  • Time you received email:Received a phone call from the director before email ~8am
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes, I had gotten a really nice email after my interview
  • Additional Notes: I was really nervous about not matching. I only got 2 interviews out of 14 applications. I don't have the best GPA, but it just goes to show you that there is always hope! Congratulations to everyone who matched and good luck to everyone in phase 2!

• GPA: 3.88
  • Geographic location: School is located on East coast but applied only in California
  • Activities: APhA-ASP/MPhA, ABAE, ACCP, AMCP, ASHP, KY, Rho Chi
  • Leadership: APhA-ASP VP of Finance and Fundraising, ACCP VP, APhA-ASP Mentorship Program, APhA-ASP Co-Historian
  • Community Service: ABAE (tutor middle and high school students), Hope Lodge, Walks, Health Fairs
  • Research: 2 research projects, both clinical in nature (1 poster at ASHP)
  • Work experience in pharmacy: VALOR intern, 4 years as a Pharm Tech prior to pharmacy school
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: N/A
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 18 acute PGY1s (mix of large academic institutions, VAs, and Kaisers)
  • Number of interview invites: 13 onsites, 1 phone, 4 rejections (interviewed at 11)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): VA, Acute Care, #7
  • Time you received email: ~8AM
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: No clue. Had done so many interviews that I lost sense if a program would rank me. Just tried my best and moved on.
  • Additional Notes: VALOR program helped me a lot and name dropping former residents from the program was a huge plus. I am grateful for matching but disappointed that I did not get my top choice. It was difficult for an East Coast student to interview in California as your school was less known and interviews in California work much different then they do on the East. I was very exhausted by the end but seeing that I got my 7th rank made me appreciate the fact that I did so many programs.

• GPA: 3.81
  • Activities: APhA, ACCP, SNPhA, Rho Chi, PLS, ASHP
  • Leadership: President of APhA, served on multiple state councils
  • Community Service: mission trip and multiple health fairs through organizations
  • Research: 4 research projects, presented about 5 posters at national and state conferences, have 1 publication in press (soon to be published) in a reputable journal
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Hospital intern since my P1 year
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: Research assistant
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 8 programs; general PGY-1
  • Number of interview invites: 4 onsite, 2 prelim phone interviews, 1 prelim video interview
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): General PGY-1 at a prestigious institution, ranked them #1
  • Time you received email: 8:06 AM
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Kind of maybe...there was a gut feeling
  • Additional Notes: Congratulations to everyone who matched and to those who didn't, keep going do not give up, the best is yet to come. Reflecting on this I believe my network, work experience, passion for the profession (through activities, leadership etc) and possibly GPA really helped me get the interview. Once you get the interview its a matter of finding where suits you best and you will know and that is who you should rank as number 1.

Last edited:
  • GPA: 3.48
  • Geographic location: Pharmacy school is on the East Coast but only applied to California programs (home)
  • Activities: APhA, ASHP, ACCP, PDC, PLS
  • Leadership: Mainly minor exec roles and participation in different committees: treasurer of ACCP, historian of APhA, fundraising chair and selection committee of a medical outreach organization, admissions committee for the SOP, PDC pledge committee, APhA professionalism committee
  • Community Service: 2 international and 2 domestic medical outreach trips to the medically underserved, various health fairs and ambulatory care clinics
  • Research: global health research as part of my international medical outreach trip, manuscript was published in a journal
  • Work experience in pharmacy: CVS health inside target for 3 years
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: worked at some medical offices prior to pharmacy school
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 14
  • Number of interview invites: 9 but only went to 7
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): VA, #1 choice, ranked all 7
  • Time you received email: 8:07 AM
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Not at all! It was my first interview and I did pretty horribly on the clinical portion because I wasn't expecting the type of questions they were asking me. I did pretty okay on the personal interview though. I really liked the program and I thought it wouldn't hurt to rank them as my #1 to see what happens, and it worked out!
  • Additional Notes: There is a misconception that it's nearly impossible for someone out of state to match into a California program due to how competitive it is. As long as you have a good CV, LOR, and LOI, anything is possible! I noticed that many RPDs appreciate diversity and we have a lot to offer coming from an out of state school.

Posting in order to counteract some of the self-disparaging nonsense I've seen on these match stats posts over the years.
  • GPA: 3.07 <--yup
  • Geographic location: Midwest
  • Activities: Social fraternity, unique opportunity to start a student-run healthcare journal, other funky/unique opportunities to add a conversation starter to my CV
  • Leadership: Multiple people-managing roles in my sorority, two years of executive leadership on the journal
  • Community Service: Free clinic
  • Research: eh
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 4 years of retail in high school and college
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: none
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 7 applications to community hospitals, teaching hospitals, and academic medical centers that were a few hundred beds to 1,000 beds
  • Number of interview invites: 1 phone, 6 onsite
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): A Midwest VA (my #2)
  • Time you received email: 8:10 AM
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes
  • Additional Notes: I think people put way too much weight on GPA; its about more intangible things like being able to show confidence and be personable. I clearly don't look fantastic on paper, but I proved myself to be intelligent and capable while on rotation. I firmly believe that picking strong reference writers has a huge impact on securing an interview and in translating your clinical abilities. Also, be realistic about where you're applying; I didn't apply to any programs that I would consider super competitive or highly research driven. I wouldn't want that, and I probably wouldn't have gotten interviews and/or matched at those places.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
  • GPA: 3.96
  • Activities: APhA, [State]-SHP, Rho Chi, PLS, Pharmacy Student Council
  • Leadership: APhA Operation Heart Co-chair, Rho Chi President, Class Representative (P3 and P4 year)
  • Community Service: Lots of organization health fairs (mostly through APhA), State Legislative Day, Large Wellness Day for WOmen (screened 300+ patients)
  • Research: Two posters at ASHP, one at AACP (none were clinical)
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 2 years of retail
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: A few customer service jobs (restaurant, college library, chain retail store) in college/first year or so of pharmacy school
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 9 applications; a few in the Midwest, but mostly in the Southeast region (mix of academic medical centers, and teaching/community hospitals)
  • Number of interview invites: 6 onsite (ranked all 6)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Large academic medical center in the Southeast; ranked #1
  • Time you received email: 7:07 AM (CST)
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Definitely didn't think I'd get my number 1. But I really liked them, so I went for it!
  • Additional Notes: There are so many things people think residency programs are most concerned with. It's almost impossible to have strong examples of all of them (GPA, research, leadership, etc.), so don't worry about how you match up to the competition; put things on your CV that you are genuinely proud of (and take advantage of the ASHP CV Review Program, if you can). I was told by so many people that a 3-5 page CV with specific things that you're proud of and can speak to beats out an 8 or 9 page list of everything you've done since starting pharmacy school ANY day. Also, once you have been invited for an interview, realize that you and all other candidates are on an even playing field- let your personality shine! Do your best to prepare and research the program, but please don't overdo it and sound over-rehearsed (or like a stalker). I can't tell you the number of times I heard one of those generic "questions to ask every residency program" asked by one of my fellow interviewees that sounded fake and/or robotic. Use your interview as a chance to really get to know these programs, be personable and fun, and don't be afraid to ask unique questions that might be important to you.

I am shocked there hasn't been a rant about someone not matching even though they know they were better, or the program told them they would rank them number 1? (happens every year)

congrats to all of you thou - and if any of you end up at my hospital (or any hospital really) - get ready to work! :)

• GPA: 3.1
  • Activities: [state]SHP, APhA, PLS, Pharmacy Fraternity
  • Leadership: President of pharmacy fraternity, board positions in PLS, [state]SHP, APhA
  • Community Service: Lots through my pharmacy fraternity, Pharmacy Legislative Day, Health Fairs
  • Research: 4 posters at ACCP, ASHP midyear, and two regional conferences
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Hospital Pharmacy Technician
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: (12 apps) academic medical centers, teaching hospitals, community hospitals
  • Number of interview invites: 7 (ranked 6)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.):#2 ranked program; teaching hospital with 100 ICU beds and level 1 trauma center :)
  • Time you received email: ~8:10am
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes. I actually went into the interview thinking it wasn't going to end up at the top of my rank list, and then after the interview I left feeling the opposite. The interview day went smoothly and I felt like everyone was genuinely excited to get to know me.
  • Additional Notes: Apply to a large range of hospitals. This was the strategy I went for and ended up getting interviews at various types of institutions (big-name academic medical centers, medium to large teaching hospitals, and smaller community hospitals). I also got denials from all of those types of institutions as well. Also don't let the fear of your GPA keep you from applying wherever you want. That being said if you have a lower GPA you should have some top notch leadership/research experience...or something that makes you stand out in a good way. Also your letters of recommendation play a LARGE role, so choose wisely, and put in 100% every day on rotations.

Last edited:
  • GPA: 3.68
  • Geographic location: From the South, matched in Northeast
  • Activities: Phi Delta Chi, Student Council, APhA, SSHP
  • Leadership: Student Council Secretary, several committee chairs
  • Community Service: health screenings mostly
  • Research: no research projects, assisted with a few during one of my rotations
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 4 years retail during pharmacy school
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: nothing relevant
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 9 (all pharmacy practice PGY1 at major hospital medical centers or VAs)
  • Number of interview invites: 4 onsite, 1 phone interview
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): got my #1
  • Time you received email: 7:05 AM CST
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: I felt they really liked me at the interview, and when the RPD contacted me after the match, she said she was thrilled to see my name on there, so I feel they would have ranked highly

• GPA: 3.60-ish (2017 grad)
  • Activities: Plenty of extracurricular mentorship to pharmacy students, especially P4's.
  • Leadership: Sunday School teacher, but nothing noteworthy in pharmacy
  • Community Service: Volunteering in church
  • Research: PGY-1, retrospective cohort
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Currently PGY-1 at an academic medical center, and 9 years in retail pharmacy prior to PGY-1
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: Physical therapy for a year
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: PGY-2 Critical Care, applied to 9
  • Number of interview invites: 1 - onsite
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #1, tertiary, teaching hospital in Texas
  • Time you received email: 8:09 EST
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes, but I wasn't sure they would rank me high enough to match
  • Additional Notes: All you need is one. Have someone edit your LOI, that was my biggest downfall in failing to receive more interview invites. My CV was strong, and I am completing my PGY-1 at an Academic Medical Center with a great reputation and strong critical care presence. I believe not having anyone edit my LOI hurt, however, I still matched at the program I wanted since Midyear ended, so in hindsight, it doesn't matter. Approach each interview as though it's the only interview you received (wasn't hard for me). I had to present a journal club and clinical presentation. These are the best opportunities to shine.

• GPA: 3.2
  • Geographic location: Northeast
  • Activities: Involved in school activities such as professional events, academic events, open houses, school tours, dinners, fundraisers, etc.
  • Leadership: Held one executive position every year throughout pharm school (3 positions)
  • Community Service: Tons! I try to do 4-6 hours every 2-3 months throughout pharmacy school. Key is try to invest time into 1-3 places instead of jumping around too much; shows commitment and dedication to change.
  • Research: Clinical research on my APPE's. No lab work. Completed a midyear poster as well as two other MUE's.
  • Work experience in pharmacy: About 4 years in community of chain and independent.
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: Gym Manager
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 10-hospital residencies (mostly general and acute care focused)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): General-Hospital Residency; ranked #3
  • Time you received email: 8:04AM Tuesday 3/20
  • Additional Notes: This process was a humbling one! I personally considered myself a great candidate but not excellent (7 out of 10 personal rating). I think I was SUPER well-rounded but lacked a stronger GPA and did not work during school; that being a personal choice for me. I think I did not match to my first two choices because I went into the interviews assuming the interviewers ALREADY KNEW what was on my CV and tried not to reiterate it to sound redundant. But I did know my CV inside-and-out and more waited for the questions on it than just regurgitating the information back. It was only towards the last two interviews I realized that I made a BIG MISTAKE and should have been leading with that. ROOKIE MISTAKE.

• GPA: 3.6
  • Geographic location: East
  • Activities: ASHP member, APha
  • Leadership: pls President, VP of student organization
  • Community Service: Minimal- general outreach with pharmacy organizations
  • Research: published in AJHP, 2 ASHP Posters
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 3 Years Clinical Hospital Internship
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy:--
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to:9
  • Number of interview invites:9
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.):1
  • Time you received email:8:09 est
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: yes but unsure of how high
  • Additional Notes:I worked on a lot of meaningful projects at my internships and APPE rotations. It made residencey interviews so much easier. Make sure that you can easily communicate why you want to be a resident and why their program! Good luck!

Did no one else have stats to offer or post? Lower Ps still need a frame of reference.

Figured I'd chime in since I have an oddball story. I only did Phase II. I knew I could make the Phase I deadline but it wouldn't be a good application, and I didn't go to midyear.
  • GPA: 3.3
  • Activities: Negligible
  • Leadership: Was on student government the first year only
  • Community Service: negligible during pharmacy school
  • Research: Did research between P1 and P2 year, also did research during undergrad for 2 years straight
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 2.5 years as an intern in community
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: 2.5 years working full time after undergrad, but also did research, taught over the weekends in undergrad
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 6, 5 community and 1 hospital
  • Number of interview invites: 4 community, I knew I wouldn't get the hospital one but I would kick myself if I didn't try.
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.):
  • Time you received email: 7:55 AM EST
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes.
  • Additional Notes: Remember the old saying guys, sometimes "It's not what you know, it's who you know." I literally got lucky and ran into a former resident at the place I matched. I was at a CE event, and I ended up talking to the former resident about my interest in specialty pharmacy, the fact that I was on the fence about residency and my uncertainty about where I wanted to go. I feel that played a huge role in landing me the interview and how things played out. I didn't think I was a stellar student by any stretch of the imagination. I went thru all almost all 4 years saying I wouldn't do a residency and here I am after one of my rotations sparked an interest lol

• GPA: 3.52
  • Activities: APhA, ASHP, Kappa Psi
  • Leadership: Class VP, APhA (VP Patient Care, Operation Immunization Chair), Clinical Reasoning Club (ASHP), Student mentor, welcome week ambassador
  • Community Service: Community vaccination events, volunteer events at local food pantry,
  • Research: ID focused Poster at Midyear, manuscript of poster in preparation for publication, poster at immunization conference
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Hospital Tech in undergrad, student intern at hospital during school (6+ years experience)
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy:
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 18 mix of academic and community hospitals (mid west and PNW)
  • Number of interview invites: 8 (ranked all 8)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Community hospital rank 8/8
  • Time you received email: 5:05 am Alaskan time zone
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes, however I did not think I would fall that far down my rank list
  • Additional Notes:

I know this is delayed but thought I would pitch in since current P4s had recently asked what they could expect based on their current stats/CV
  • GPA: 3.9
  • Geographic location: Southeast (although I applied all over)
  • Activities: ASHP, ACCP, APhA, a pharmacy fraternity, PLS, RhoChi and the pharmacy student government
  • Leadership: President and Treasurer of 2 different organizations plus a few chair/committee roles
  • Community Service: An average amount - several events per semester
  • Research: an MUE presented at MidYear and a retrospective research project/pending publication
  • Work experience in pharmacy: 3 years at a retail chain
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: 2 years in the pharmaceutical industry
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 12 - all general PGY1
  • Number of interview invites: 5 (ranked 5)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #2 - large academic medical center in the SE
  • Time you received email: ~8 AM
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes - unsure of where though, as there were lots of great candidates
  • Additional Notes: Overall, I had one likely exceptional LOR but the others were probably on the more neutral/average side of the spectrum. I was part of an Honors program for P4 rotations affiliated through our school and also felt like I did a good bit of interview prep (helps a ton with interview confidence!)
I agree so much with everyone who has recommended applying to a wide variety of hospitals - and to go into the process with an open mind! Based on conversations I had with mentors, I felt like I "checked off" most boxes to be a strong applicant but it was still a very humbling process. I definitely got rejections from places I felt I would be a competitive candidate for, as well as interviews I thought might be a bit of a long shot! It really is impossible to know exactly what each place values most when looking at applicants! I know some people get lucky and apply to 1-2 places and match, but based on chatting with peers, I really think ~10 is a safe bet (assuming you really could see yourself at these programs) to increases your chances for interviews and rankings! Good luck this upcoming year!

• GPA: 3.48
  • Geographic location: southeast
  • Activities: APhA, SSHP, Kappa Psi, PLS, SNPhA
  • Leadership: Mainly minor exec roles and participation in different committees: Historian of SSHP, APhA diabetes committee, etc
  • Community Service: American Red Cross First Aid Station Team, SSHP developed health fairs and community clean up projects, Kappa PSI adopt a highway/clean up, habitat for humanity
  • Research: benchside research at my school, PGY1 prospective study, 2 MUEs as a student, one as a resident, drug class reviews
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Walgreens and CVS, shadowed at Memorial
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: managed 2 businesses prior to starting pharmacy school
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to:
    • PGY1: applied to 14
    • PGY2: applied to 9
  • Number of interview invites:
    • PGY1: 8 invites (went to all of them)
    • PGY2: 4 invites
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.)
    • PGY1: matched at a community teaching hospital, my number 4 program
    • PGY2: matched at a large academic medical center, my number 2 program that I should have ranked number 1
  • Time you received email: 8:00 AM
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you:
    • PGY1: yes, I made some of them laugh so hard they cried.
    • PGY2: no, which is why I put them second haha. The program is insanely awesome and I'm so excited to learn
  • Additional Notes: Be yourself (albeit your professional self) and you will match where you are supposed to! You will get rejections from places you think you should get and get invited from programs you wouldn't expect. Don't believe places who say they will rank you first. Rank the places you want to be at. Don't rank for prestige, rank the best learning environment for you!

Last edited:
  • GPA: 3.2
  • Leadership: CPNP secretary for 2 years
  • Research: Three poster presentations at national conferences, one small RDC grant
  • Work experience in pharmacy: None
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: Many different jobs
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 6
  • Number of interview invites: 5
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #1 Veterans Administration on the East Coast
  • Time you received email: 8:05
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Felt good about the interview, but wasn’t given any indication.
  • Additional Notes: If you have a low GPA like I did, just remember to start early and really show individual interest in the programs. My biggest asset was my references. Make a good impression P4 year and ask preceptors if they know anyone where you’re applying. I got rejected from 2 places, but I was offered an interview without applying at one of my APPE sites. Not one person asked about my GPA, so focus on the good parts of your application and you will be just fine!

I really felt the need to post because everyone *ALWAYS* says their GPA was low. Well... Let me give future pharmacists some hope.
  • GPA: 2.84 (at the time of application) <-- you read that right.
  • Geographic location: Mid-Atlantic; residency program is in the Midwest
  • Activities: PDC, PLS, ASHP- SSHP, APHA-ASP, etc.
  • Leadership: Founder of free clinic, various leadership roles from VP to chair positions.
  • Community Service: Founded and staffed a student run free clinic alongside medical students
  • Research: Completed a research project and presented at Midyear P3 year; also wrote an article that was in progress for publication
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Pharmacy Intern in a community setting
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 14 (more than half were reach because I didn't want to regret not applying due strictly to my GPA)
  • Number of interview invites: 5 (2-Level 1 Trauma Centers, 1-Level 2 Trauma Center, 2 regional hospitals)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency at a Level 1 Trauma Center. 2nd choice. My first choice was also a Level 1 Trauma Center.
  • Time you received email: 8:07AM
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: No
  • Additional Notes: I was shocked when I matched here. I thought that the interview was the worst one I had in the bunch. But the main thing I want anyone to take away from this is to not sell yourself short. People will say that having a sub three will be an uphill battle. To an extent it is. Life happens sometimes. Whether it's the death of a loved one, or loved ones, or unforeseen medical issues that may hinder your academic performance. The best thing you can do is bounce back and be well-rounded. Try to get research, a poster, or a publication by Midyear so that you can put a check in that checkbox. Rock your rotations by going above and beyond. Remember all of the interventions you make on rotations because those will be asked on interviews. Find preceptors that want to invest in you and ensure that they can write good letters. Lastly, dig deep when you write your letters for residency. They read hundreds of generic letters every year. Don't let your reason for wanting to do residency be to "not have to work at CVS or Walgreens."

• GPA: 3.01
  • Geographic location: Southwest
  • Activities: ASHP, APHA, fraternity
  • Leadership: Student Ambassador
  • Community Service: Organized 4 fundraisers
  • Research: One poster presentation at Midyear, manuscript, two local poster presentations
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Retail 1 year
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 5 (all PGY1 major hospital medical centers in my state)
  • Number of interview invites: 4 (ranked all 4)
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): Matched with my top choice! Large academic medical center
  • Time you received email: 0520
  • Additional Notes: GPA is not everything (clearly)! I applied to the top 5 hospitals in my state. Recommendation letters make or break your application. You MUST work your butt off in rotations, show you are committed to learning, take initiative, and be the kind of person you want to work with. Also, be positive, show up on time (or early), be prepared (or overly prepared), and be normal. I actually had several of my APPEs at the hospitals I applied to, one of which was with the residency director. He is now my RPD! Needless to say, I felt confident that my top choice would rank me because I felt the match was truly a "match."
  • Always remember: "a RPD is looking for residents who aren't going to be a pain-in-the-ass or full of drama" - my mentor.

• GPA: 3.4-ish
  • Geographic location: NorthEast
  • Activities: LKS, Club Field Hockey, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Pharmacy student government, SPPAG, AXO
  • Leadership: SPPAG President, LKS Historian (2 years)
  • Community Service: Big Brothers Big Sisters (2 years), various other activities through the years
  • Research: 2 research projects
  • Work experience in pharmacy: Retail for 4 years
  • Work experience outside of pharmacy: Ice Cream Scooper
  • Number/Type of residencies applied to: 14 general PGY1
  • Number of interview invites: 2
  • Where you actually matched (type of residency, where it was on your rank list, etc.): #1
  • Time you received email:Received a phone call from the director before email ~8am
  • Did you feel like the program would rank you: Yes, I had gotten a really nice email after my interview
  • Additional Notes: I was really nervous about not matching. I only got 2 interviews out of 14 applications. I don't have the best GPA, but it just goes to show you that there is always hope! Congratulations to everyone who matched and good luck to everyone in phase 2!

Which hospitals did you get an interview in, if you don't mind telling? Thank you and congrats!