Match Waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bic_atlantis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if somebody with experience can help me out with this dilemma. If requesting a match waiver, which subsequently get approved, do i instantly get dropped from the program I have a spot at or can I hold on to that spot until I match to a different position outside the match? I understand this might be a very rare scenario but just trying to see if any has any insight. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering if somebody with experience can help me out with this dilemma. If requesting a match waiver, which subsequently get approved, do i instantly get dropped from the program I have a spot at or can I hold on to that spot until I match to a different position outside the match? I understand this might be a very rare scenario but just trying to see if any has any insight. Thanks in advance.
So you matched and want to completely not be bound to honor the clearly binding match rules.....but you want to make the program hold your spot for you in case you mess up and end up with nowhere to go?

Reactions: 1 users
You get dropped and your program immediately starts scrambling to fill the spot. Which they presumably will not have any difficulty doing.

I get the question, it's not crazy to at least ask... but you can't have it both ways. If you go for a match waiver, you need to be REALLY SURE that you're either going to land on your feet, or you're OK with reapplying.

You have to have a good reason to get a waiver. Deciding you'd rather do another field won't work unless you are matched into an advanced spot and decide during your prelim year that you want to change.

Having cold feet isn't a reason, so you need to be sure your reason is good.