Quantcast

matched IMGs......ecfmg certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radiologygirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
How did those of yor you who matched whilst in 4th year get around this requirment.

I will not have my certificate untill after the match and it seems many programs want you to be certifited before they consider you for an interview.

any pointers on this subject?

thanks in advance

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told we'll get our ecfmg certification before residency starts but the only way to get the certification prior to applying is to sit out a year which is just an unrealistic and unfair notion.I dont know what school you are coming from but Ross puts out about 500 or more applicants into the pool every year, I think SGU does 200-300 a year and I can garuntee that 99% of them are not ecfmg certified prior to entering the match or are even ecfmg certified when match day comes out.

If a program wants to see you ecfmg certified first, then they dont you there is the way I see it.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
radiologygirl said:
How did those of yor you who matched whilst in 4th year get around this requirment.

I will not have my certificate untill after the match and it seems many programs want you to be certifited before they consider you for an interview.

any pointers on this subject?

thanks in advance

I had recently brought this same Q up in one of the forums. Unfortunately most of the students dont understand this requirement and are ignorant to the disadvantage it poses to us who want to get into competetive residencies.

The only choice we have is either wait 1 year, or apply to only 50% of the programs (the ones that dont require the certificate before february, i.e. rank order month).

I anticipate people replying back on this this forum and say that nobody cares about the ECFMG certificate.

But remember, most of these students are those that applied to non-competitive programs that have lower entrance requirements (including no certification required b4 acceptance).

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
other option is to do a prelim or transilitional year and then apply for the 2008 match :(

MD Dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a new requirement that came out this year?

Mom2five

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you finish 4th year in say Feb. how does all this work out?? Ross will give you a early graduation date if you need a CA letter. Do you think husband will be able to be certified early enough to not hinder his opportunities?

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mom2five said:
If you finish 4th year in say Feb. how does all this work out?? Ross will give you a early graduation date if you need a CA letter. Do you think husband will be able to be certified early enough to not hinder his opportunities?

It will be very close....

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It will be too late for the match to give you any advantages but it will help you for the scramble.

Why?

Cause no one is going to offer you an interview in Febrauary based on the fact that you got your ECFMG certificate. They usually submit their ranks in February.. too late for the match. Sorry for the bad news.