Matched into IM then got waived

Started by Sbos40
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sbos40

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I’m a Non US IMG,
Step 1:239
Step 2: 225
Step 2CS: passed first round
YOG: 2018
US research: 1 month at Weill Cornell, 1 month with University of Mississippi
USCIS: Observership 1 month Cleveland Clinic, Externship at a Private Clinic ED
Publication: only one poster

I matched into IM in the 2020 match but due to visa issues i couldn’t start on time and the program started the waiver. IM was my back up and I matched into it, I’m wondering what my chances are of matching into Neuro this year.
I’m on an H4 so I should be getting my work permit soon, but till then I will have to apply as a visa requiring applicant.
Any thoughts?
 
Hey,
I’m a Non US IMG,
Step 1:239
Step 2: 225
Step 2CS: passed first round
YOG: 2018
US research: 1 month at Weill Cornell, 1 month with University of Mississippi
USCIS: Observership 1 month Cleveland Clinic, Externship at a Private Clinic ED
Publication: only one poster

I matched into IM in the 2020 match but due to visa issues i couldn’t start on time and the program started the waiver. IM was my back up and I matched into it, I’m wondering what my chances are of matching into Neuro this year.
I’m on an H4 so I should be getting my work permit soon, but till then I will have to apply as a visa requiring applicant.
Any thoughts?

The neurology match is has become increasingly competitive over the past several years, however with appropriate planning and strategizing you may find a suitable position if you apply and inquire broadly.
 
The neurology match is has become increasingly competitive over the past several years, however with appropriate planning and strategizing you may find a suitable position if you apply and inquire broadly.

do you think I have a better chance of IM?
 
IM is a much larger specialty. Average scores are similar but matching will always be more in your favor in a specialty with that many spots if you are willing to apply and interview broadly.