Matching 2-3-4 programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djlucas1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the posts make it seem like you apply to an internship and a 2-3-4 program at the same time while a 4th year in medical school. How does it work if I am a military physician who did an internship, served my commitment in a general medical officer/flight surgeon/dive medical officer type tour, got out of the military, and now wants to go to a civilian EM residency? Do I just apply for the match to a 2-3-4 program? Or do these programs only match for starting a year later (after an intern year)?

Members don't see this ad.

Your intern year will count for the first year of a 2-3-4 program.

Keep in mind, however, that unless you fill a 2-3-4 spot that has opened up unexpectedly, you won't actually start your EM training the year you match into a 2-3-4 program - you will start one year later.

Most of the people I know in your situation applied for the 2,3,4, programs through the regular match but with enough lead time that they finished up their last year or two of military obligations and then went straight into the 2,3,4 as a PGY2. If you are already out or nearly out of the military you could go ahead and apply for a 2,3,4 spot and then kill a year working in an urgent care center or something like that. Alternatively you could call around to some 2,3,4 or maybe even 1,2,3,4 and find out if any of their PGY1's or the PGY1's they are expecting for their PGY2 year have dropped thus opening a spot for someone like you who has already finished internship

Members don't see this ad :)
www.saem.org maintains a database of vacant positions, though calling directly may get you more up to date information

djlucas1 said:
Some of the posts make it seem like you apply to an internship and a 2-3-4 program at the same time while a 4th year in medical school. How does it work if I am a military physician who did an internship, served my commitment in a general medical officer/flight surgeon/dive medical officer type tour, got out of the military, and now wants to go to a civilian EM residency? Do I just apply for the match to a 2-3-4 program? Or do these programs only match for starting a year later (after an intern year)?
do you want to start next week? U Mississippi has an EM1 opening RIGHT NOW

Does anyone know anything about this program? Good, bad, or interview stories?Thanks.

I am a EM2 at UMC, I am not from the south and love I it here. Great pathology, great trauma, great attendings. A real hiddden gem in EM. We had a resident decide at the last minute not to come and we just recently posted the position on the SAEM site.